GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Battlewagon for softroading/camping:

Lifted 1" on Rallywag kit,
plus sized 215/65/16" @ 27" nokian winter tires for another 0.5" of ride height, dirt traction

APR1 87 tune, new plugs and coils for more grunt

replaced OEM Sachs strut by Bilstein B6 front, replaces OEM Sachs shocks with Atlas rears for better tighter handling...w/more droop rear

Alum engine and tunnel skid plates,
steel oil pan with mag plug
AirLift helper bags rear

DeAutoLED all front and amber rear tail light
2" EcoHitch for bike, cargo rack, towing...

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/alltrack-overlanding-lifted-with-a-tow.9491883/
Which helper bags are you running that fit well and survive?

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I'd just pick up the GTI from dealership: 5th routine service and DSG oil and filter change, 47264 km (around 29540 miles), almost 4 years daily driving, no tune. After the DSG service I feel more comfortable to search for a stage 2 tune.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Dropped the car off to be detailed yesterday. Two buffed coats of wax, final ceramic coat, and sparkly clean interior. I don’t have the skillset for the electric wax process, so I don’t mind paying for it.
As a detailer that had my own shop... WTH is 2 buff coats of wax with final ceramic coat? Because ceramic won't stick to wax, and wax won't stick to ceramic. There are ceramic infused waxes... but that is for people that like to wax their cars, as their durability is way less than a ceramic coat. seriously confuses the hell out of me, and makes me think that some of this detail shops are just making up crap to overcharge customers. There are a few companies that make their products interact with each other, like Optimum, Kamikaze, Polishangel, but their ceramic coating needs to be the base. All other products lay on top.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
As a detailer that had my own shop... WTH is 2 buff coats of wax with final ceramic coat? Because ceramic won't stick to wax, and wax won't stick to ceramic. There are ceramic infused waxes... but that is for people that like to wax their cars, as their durability is way less than a ceramic coat. seriously confuses the hell out of me, and makes me think that some of this detail shops are just making up crap to overcharge customers. There are a few companies that make their products interact with each other, like Optimum, Kamikaze, Polishangel, but their ceramic coating needs to be the base. All other products lay on top.
The "2 buff coats" may also be two rounds of polishing first? To get rid of imperfections in the clear coat (as I'm sure you're aware)

I feel like the average person wouldn't know the difference between compound, polish, or wax, so they just said wax

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Got the Yokohama Advan Apex v601 tires put on today in 235/40r18. Compared to the outgoing Michelin AS3+ tires:
  • Quieter. Not a lot, but noticeably so. Tread noise is also a less-intrusive pitch.
  • Smoother ride. Not really a difficult accomplishment considering the AS3's ride like wooden pucks.
  • A little bit more squirmy on initial turn-in. Perhaps this is new-tire effect, but it's not an unexpected difference considering how stiff and unforgiving the AS3's were. Not as firm as a track tire (I assume), but not as soft as Continentals.
  • More grip. Obviously. Going from 500tw all-seasons to 280tw summers, you might expect some more grip. And indeed, it is there. Even though there's a little more softness on the initial turn-in, it settles in very quickly and sticks. It started to rain a little and they were sticking really well on fresh wet roads, so that's a good sign too.
  • Cheaper. Like $150/tire cheap.
Overall, seems like the perfect tire for me. I needed something that could put down stage 1 power a little better and that would hold up during once-a-month autocross events. Bonus that it has excellent road manners!

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I feel like the average person wouldn't know the difference between compound, polish, or wax, so they just said wax
I am the average person. I have a skillset to replace a clutch, but pampering the paint is beyond me. I can wash and detail the car at my level, and I use a spray on wax when I do this. I asked for a full detail, and some attention to the paint, with the ceramic coat wax. I'm sure I heard wrong, and typed it even worse.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

The place I go to is good, not some fly by night has been once. I apologize if I don't really know the difference between all the waxes, infused waxes, essential oil waxes, ceramic, etc. That's why I paid someone who does know. I'll have to look at the receipt so I can use the right words, and not get the experts all wound up.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Got the Yokohama Advan Apex v601 tires put on today in 235/40r18. Compared to the outgoing Michelin AS3+ tires:
  • Quieter. Not a lot, but noticeably so. Tread noise is also a less-intrusive pitch.
  • Smoother ride. Not really a difficult accomplishment considering the AS3's ride like wooden pucks.
  • A little bit more squirmy on initial turn-in. Perhaps this is new-tire effect, but it's not an unexpected difference considering how stiff and unforgiving the AS3's were. Not as firm as a track tire (I assume), but not as soft as Continentals. I will miss that sharp turn-in from the AS3's though.
  • More grip. Obviously. Going from 500tw all-seasons to 280tw summers, you might expect some more grip. And indeed, it is there. Even though there's a little more softness on the initial turn-in, it settles in very quickly and sticks. It started to rain a little and they were sticking really well on fresh wet roads, so that's a good sign too.
  • Cheaper. Like $150/tire cheap.
Overall, seems like the perfect tire for me. I needed something that could put down stage 1 power a little better and that would hold up during once-a-month autocross events. Bonus that it has excellent road manners!

I'm a little disappointed you didn't go 245.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
All the little odds & ends are what they never show on tv in a in-depth build. All the little nuts and bolts aftermarket vendors got wrong, sensors, coolant, fuel and vacuum lines ect.

Started the day off with a rock guard for the CAI, then dove deep into all the hookups.

Moved it off the lift for a Mk7 project tomorrow & then some maintenance on my fleet, then we’ll be back at it next week.
E1F9F7EC-6806-44E3-ABA1-0267D8D4A6AC.jpeg
7B136997-4A5B-4663-A5AD-80F4DC8807D0.jpeg
DA8F2B97-F0E7-4419-9171-F3B1F6508202.jpeg
3DAF903D-E16E-4F24-B6E3-9690A7692D9D.jpeg

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Receipt itemization basically says:

Handwash
Claybar
2-stage polish
Ceramic coat