GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I burned up a set of tires from 10/32 to 3/32 in 2 months?
What turbo did you have before? Any useful metrics you can share with us? There aren't enough people with this turbo installed sharing information.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I'm still trying to get the tune sorted.. I have 4 things not going into readiness. I'm coming from stock. My motor spun a rod, so I have a fully built motor.. only things original are the block, crank, and head. I kept the fueling stock to see how well the turbo does without any fueling upgrades. Also this is the R forum and I wasn't really going to post any information here about it since i'm a GTI.. :D

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm still trying to get the tune sorted.. I have 4 things not going into readiness. I'm coming from stock/

Who's tuning it? Seems like readiness stuff isn't really "tune" related really. I'll bet this is turbo is a real hoot if coming from a IS20.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I'm still trying to get the tune sorted.. I have 4 things not going into readiness. I'm coming from stock. My motor spun a rod, so I have a fully built motor.. only things original are the block, crank, and head. I kept the fueling stock to see how well the turbo does without any fueling upgrades
Keep us posted. I’m hoping this turbo works well within the confines of the stock fueling system. The power levels seem right in my sweet spot and should have a quick response. Thanks

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Keep us posted. I’m hoping this turbo works well within the confines of the stock fueling system. The power levels seem right in my sweet spot and should have a quick response. Thanks
I'm coming from a stock is20, with the necessary bolt ons for a eurodyne stage 2 tune.. So... this setup is kinda scary and makes your butt pucker :whistle::whistle: :LOL::LOL:.. I'm also not used to all the noise this setup makes LOL.. I will need to go to 255 tires too.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I'm coming from a stock is20, with the necessary bolt ons for a eurodyne stage 2 tune.. So... this setup is kinda scary and makes your butt pucker :whistle::whistle: :LOL::LOL:.. I'm also not used to all the noise this setup makes LOL.. I will need to go to 255 tires too.
Sounds perfect!

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Just got one with Autotech fuel pump internals.
My goal is to have a daily driver manual with the piece of mind of not having a time bomb ticking on the IS38.
I have a Sachs Performance Organic Clutch with 2k miles rated at 400 ft-lbs.
When I get the parts I will book with Ed@EQT a Dyno remote session!

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
My goal is to have a daily driver manual with the piece of mind of not having a time bomb ticking on the IS38.
I have the same goals. It sounds like this is the perfect in between turbo For those who want to make solid no BS power but don't want to push their stock internals or go too extreme. I have made my decision to go this route also after i finish dialing in my suspension and the supporting mods.

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
I have the same goals. It sounds like this is the perfect in between turbo For those who want to make solid no BS power but don't want to push their stock internals or go too extreme. I have made my decision to go this route also after i finish dialing in my suspension and the supporting mods.
Nice to here someone thinks alike! Will update as I make progress!

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Anyone here on a stratified tune? They seem to be the early adopter of this turbo. EQT is like 20 minutes away from me so thy are the logical choice, but I've heard lots of positivity regarding Stratified.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

I feel the same way! IS38 upgrade has never seemed worth the money to me for what you get, and a vortex/hybrid is more than I'd ever need. The Garrett seems to hit the sweet spot for me.

Let us know how the EQT tune ends up, picking a tuner is the only thing holding me back right now. I've been waiting to see the other OTS options that are allegedly coming (Unitronic, IE).

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
If I was 20 minutes away from EQT, I'd just go have a custom Dyno tune done no matter what. Can't get any better than that.
Yeah that will likely be my move.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that will likely be my move.
maybe talk to Ed, and see if he would like to use your car as a 'test car' for his tunes?
I noticed EQT is offering these turbos, and you are really in a perfect situation where he can put together a tune to distribute with the turbo, and you get a free tune

Regardless, interested to see the results. I really like the MK8 R, but I have this feeling that the right turbo will just keep me in this MK7 for a long time. Everytime I get some free time to myself to go boot around I forget about other car options