GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing cigarette smoke smell?

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
I've used those "car bomb" type fresheners like the Meguiars and Turtle Wax ones linked above. In my experience, they do jack shit to actually eliminate an odor, but a good job to just temporarily cover up the smell. When the effect wears off in 2 - 4 weeks, the smell will be back.
smellyCar.gif

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
FWIW-
Try a SCENTED dryer sheet---No laughing now-works well!
Place a several of them on the floor mats-front and rear.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
FWIW-
I didnt think of that. Thats a good idea

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
As said before, Ozone generator is going to be highly effective, however its not something to be played with. Beyond that mechanical removal of dirt. Get yourself a decent powered UV light and go to town. You're going to have to scrub every interior surface multiples times.
Carpet shampoo machine with upholstery attachments. Just be sure you're not letting the liquid soak down too far or you're just driving the dirt deeper. Some like to use a steamer which is fine too, however make sure you have a good we/dry vac to get the moisture out.

Additionally baking soda works, but make sure you have a shop vac with a good bag in front of the motor, because baking soda will wreck your equipment.

Finally...please DO NOT use oznium this stuff is SUPER bad for your health. And it's 100% not meant to be used where there is upholstery soft surfaces.

EDIT to add: Ozone is considered to be highly corrosive and an environmental pollutant. Plenty of studies out there that explain this. Just be careful with the stuff or avoid it. Just seems easier.

Last edited:

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^^ Yup. The key thing with ozone is it’s not a magic wand. You have to put in the work to get EVERYTHING clean as a whistle - BEFORE you use the ozone machine. The better job you do prepping, the better the end result will be.

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
+1

As stated, a thorough interior detailing, then park the car on a hot day with a 2A battery charger hooked on, and the vent fan on high/recirc, with the ozone generator going all day. Switching between "heat" (feet), "defrost" and the main vents every couple hours will help ensure that all the ductwork is treated (unless you can turn them all on at the same time).

It might take a couple tries, especially if you can't get the first time done of a hot day, but it'll work.

Yes, ozone will break down plastics over time, but it's not like you'd be going at it for a week.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Closest I have ever gotten was bombing the car after I took apart the center console and vacuumed the ash out,

Replaced rear seats altogether. I hear Ozone generator will work?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
FWIW-
This. My method for removing unwanted smells. I grab about 4 or 5 of the dryer sheets and clip them to the vents and turn AC to heat for about 15 minutes. Remove and repeat until the dryer sheets stop smelling foul after each 15 minute session. I detailed a farm truck once and it took 6 cycles, and a good carpet extraction.