GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing cigarette smoke smell?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Anyone have any tricks with chemicals or any products, experience using ozone generators? previous owner was a smoker and in the winter time smell can get pretty bad when the heat is on.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Is it from the vents? Have you swapped the cabin air filter already? If so, you could try some Ozium/ZEP or other like product that you spray directly into the intake while the car is running with the air on recirculate. Dealers also have a cleaning service that I believe removes any musty/moldy smells too with a anti-bacterial/fungal stuff.

I picked up one of the Blue care charcoal cabin filters to go in next oil change, might be worth a look. Might also be able to find it cheaper, believe I got mine from USP.

https://store.ngpracing.com/hengst-...-arteon-audi-8v-a3-s3-rs3-8s-tt-tts-ttrs.html

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Is it from the vents? Have you swapped the cabin air filter already? If so, you could try some Ozium/ZEP or other like product that you spray directly into the intake while the car is running with the air on recirculate. Dealers also have a cleaning service that I believe removes any musty/moldy smells too with a anti-bacterial/fungal stuff.

I picked up one of the Blue care charcoal cabin filters to go in next oil change, might be worth a look. Might also be able to find it cheaper, believe I got mine from USP.

https://store.ngpracing.com/hengst-...-arteon-audi-8v-a3-s3-rs3-8s-tt-tts-ttrs.html
Ya from the vents. I've changed the cabin filter. I'll give ozium/zep a try.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ya from the vents. I've changed the cabin filter. I'll give ozium/zep a try.
Try the Mcguiars product right above your post. Works far better and longer than ozium and changing the filter. The cigarette smoke gets imbedded into every soft service, carpet etc and the Mcguiars is the only thing I found that is effective and lasts at least a month as opposed to a few days for a filter change and ozium spray.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
A good strong Ozone generator will work, but you will need the heater on recirc' to get into all the vents, the matrix and hoses. A cheap, leave on all the time will not do it.

As above an Aircon Bomb will do it but you may find the smell returns after a bit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've used those "car bomb" type fresheners like the Meguiars and Turtle Wax ones linked above. In my experience, they do jack shit to actually eliminate an odor, but a good job to just temporarily cover up the smell. When the effect wears off in 2 - 4 weeks, the smell will be back.

The only ones I've found effective at actually removing an odor, are the chlorine based ones. I used the Star Brite NosGuard ones before with good success. Keep in mind though, these won't make your car smell good, it's going to smell like a pool for a couple of days. It is chlorine based after all. So when that smell fades a little, I'd follow up with your air freshener scent of choice

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A good strong Ozone generator will work, but you will need the heater on recirc' to get into all the vents, the matrix and hoses. A cheap, leave on all the time will not do it.

As above an Aircon Bomb will do it but you may find the smell returns after a bit.

While ozone generators are absolutely effective, aren't they dangerous since they can wreck havoc on any rubber seals?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I’ve seen them being used on boat and airplanes, so they can’t be too bad for short term usage.

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
Very long pipe cleaners and rubbing alcohol, industrial carpet shampooer and newspaper. It’ll never really be gone though… maybe take up smoking? J/k

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've used those "car bomb" type fresheners like the Meguiars and Turtle Wax ones linked above. In my experience, they do jack shit to actually eliminate an odor, but a good job to just temporarily cover up the smell. When the effect wears off in 2 - 4 weeks, the smell will be back.

The only ones I've found effective at actually removing an odor, are the chlorine based ones. I used the Star Brite NosGuard ones before with good success. Keep in mind though, these won't make your car smell good, it's going to smell like a pool for a couple of days. It is chlorine based after all. So when that smell fades a little, I'd follow up with your air freshener scent of choice
Does the odor come back or are you doing the same thing that contributed to the odor originally?