GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Total n00b question. How do I get android auto to work? I plug my phone in to the little thing and get nothing. Does the cable type matter?
It can be a pain in the ass to get the right cable. I have a cable I was using with my d-dock for about a year until it stopped working. It'll still charge the phone, but it won't connect to android auto anymore.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Total n00b question. How do I get android auto to work? I plug my phone in to the little thing and get nothing. Does the cable type matter?
In addition to the other replies, what year and trim do you have? there are some years and trims that don't actually have it (all 2015s and some later years base trims if I remember correctly).

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
In addition to the other replies, what year and trim do you have? there are some years and trims that don't actually have it (all 2015s and some later years base trims if I remember correctly).
2016 Autobahn. I should have it

cb1111

Oh, yeah. AA is very finnicky about cables to the point that Google has provided a list of cables [FAQ] Tips for choosing a compatible USB cable for using Android Auto - Android Auto Community (google.com)

That said, the shorter the better - anything over 6ft is a no-go.

I've had good luck the short Sabrent cable AmazonSmile: Sabrent [3-Pack] 22AWG Premium 1ft USB-C to USB A 3.0 Sync and Charge Cables [Black] (CB-C3X1) : Everything Else

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
This is becoming standard in new cars. The S/O's Taos has wireless android auto.

That said we can have it too for $90. Can't wait until this starts going on sale.
https://motorolasound.com/audio-products/android-auto/ma1
Amazon took pre-orders, but I don't think it lasted more than a day lol

I want one too and I got a feeling they'll sell out quick. Hopefully it being motorolla they can keep them in stock better than the kickstarter ones.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Don't need
yes it needs to be a data cable. you need to have the android auto app installed on your phone too
Don't need the app anymore. That's just for standalone android auto.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Oh, yeah. AA is very finnicky about cables to the point that Google has provided a list of cables [FAQ] Tips for choosing a compatible USB cable for using Android Auto - Android Auto Community (google.com)

That said, the shorter the better - anything over 6ft is a no-go.

I've had good luck the short Sabrent cable AmazonSmile: Sabrent [3-Pack] 22AWG Premium 1ft USB-C to USB A 3.0 Sync and Charge Cables [Black] (CB-C3X1) : Everything Else
Hmmmm - I have the Amazon basics and it doesn't like it.

cb1111

Hmmmm - I have the Amazon basics and it doesn't like it.
I've never had any luck with anything Amazon Basics. You need a quality data/charge cable.

Are you sure you have AA capability on your car? and the latest AA on your phone?

Post a picture of your radio. What phone do you have?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I've never had any luck with anything Amazon Basics. You need a quality data/charge cable.

Are you sure you have AA capability on your car? and the latest AA on your phone?

Post a picture of your radio. What phone do you have?
I'm pretty sure I have it. I have MIBII, the bigger screen - and I have a Huawei P20 Pro.