GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Haha, I’ve actually been emailing the dealer offering them low prices on the Grey GLI so when he goes in they will think his offer sounds great in comparison.
I’ve worked it all out for us Daks.

In all honesty, the LPFP would be cool but part of me thinks sometimes if I am gonna get one, I might as well spring for a Brushless EQT. I mean if I’m spending to upgrade might be worth while to get one that’s totally futureproof in case anything changes down the road don’t have to worry about a PM4 or upgrading again.
I still have first dibs on him offering it to me though:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Genius idea man lmao

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I don't really get moving to another FWD MQB car with the same motor, seems like a lot of work if you part out to get your money's worth out of the GTI. I sure wouldn't want to deal with trying to sell a one-off brake setup.

I've fought similar overboost issues (P0234) with the standard housing and that actuator. Know of at least a couple others with the same intermittent overboost problems, usually in the cold (one of whom has a GLI ;) ). Different tuners, different exhausts, FWD/AWD, but same turbine/actuator. WG calibration was fine, voltage ok, but 1/10 pulls overboosted enough to throw the EPC.

My solution was to get an XL housing, new IS38-style actuator, and schedule a tune day so I could make sure it was rock solid. Hasn't overboosted since. I've got a catless trackslag and an aftermarket catback, which is about as efficient as it gets. I'm pretty sure it was just the actuator as the guy with my old housing hasn't had any problems.

My unsolicited advice: try replacing the actuator if you haven't already. Inspect the actuator bracket on the turbine housing while that's being done. But really, the bigger the turbo, the bigger the headaches. FCP IS38, Littco L380(x), or Stage 1 Garrett can all get you to wheelspin city on a GTI if the IS20 just isn't enough.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
you said you tried an IS38 style actuator, does the Vortex standard come with a is20 actuator on it? Or you were using yours from the is20 yourself and changed it out?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Overboost aside… there are like 40 different notes he’s mentioned as to why he wants to go down this new road. Lol.

I get it if he said , I want a gli so I can mod it to the level I modded my mk7 gti… but that’s not what been said.

Cliff notes :
-Don’t want or use the extra power
-Want something newer
-Doesn’t want to drive and car with a highly modified drivetrain
-is a lesbian

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Overboost aside… there are like 40 different notes he’s mentioned as to why he wants to go down this new road. Lol.

I get it if he said , I want a gli so I can mod it to the level I modded my mk7 gti… but that’s not what been said.

Cliff notes :
-Want something newer
-is a lesbian

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
And side note… I don’t care if a Corolla has 600 hp… it’s still and Corolla “hatchback” 😂😂. Then again I’m silly biased when it comes to VW’s… I’m not even the typical vw guy that want to move to an Audi for a “nicer” car feel, I just have a thing for VWs that I can’t shake, haha

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Cliff notes :
-Want something newer
-is a lesbian
Very complicated person.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Cliff notes :
-Don’t want need or use the extra power
-Want something newer
-is a lesbian

Fixed that slightly. I don't need or use the extra power. Who wouldn't want it though? And since I don't really need or use it, just wanting the power doesn't outweigh all the other points.

That is a good sum-up though.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
you said you tried an IS38 style actuator, does the Vortex standard come with a is20 actuator on it? Or you were using yours from the is20 yourself and changed it out?
I have a '19 R, as Ed mentioned those IS38s come with the "IS20" style (more accurate to say Hanon/Cooper), that's what had problems for me and at least a couple other guys I know personally.

I ordered an "IS38" style (Mahle) from EQT with the XL housing, which has worked fine. I thought I heard EQT now recommends the first one now over the Mahle, which is even more confusing. Or maybe they include them just because they can't get their hands on the Mahle part in bulk now? No clue. I suspect they all have issues and it's cheaper to try replacing than the whole car/turbo.

Reference:
1642048390039.png

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Lol, definitely confusing to say the least I guess. I just got an IS38 from FCP, I “think” it has the beefier one? Not too sure to be honest, didn’t even have to adjust voltage so didn’t look at it too closely. It was out of box at 3.595 or something.