GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garrett Pmax Stage1 Turbo Deep Dive

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Is MPI a must with this particular turbo for 91 gas (no E)?

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Fueling is never a requirement if you don't want to run much boost. Pointless to upgrade then though. MPI/LPFP upgrades are always recommended for any turbo >IS38. Save yourself headaches down the line.
gotcha. I'm in the process of trying to figure out the most logical progression in upgrades. Almost seems like theEQT zero to hero is the best bet but thats a big chunk of cash to lay out at once.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
1640886279109.png

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Is MPI a must with this particular turbo for 91 gas (no E)?
It depends on the knock threshold of the fuel. So for high octane fuel where you can run this turbo to its max potential you start to get into MPI territory. The threshold is around 400whp. If the octane of the fuel is low and you run into knock you won't be able to run as much boost and won't need the additional fueling. For ethanol, you will definitely need MPI with this turbo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Everything I've concluded about this turbo is that on 91 octane it has slightly more potential than the IS38 and less than the TPC20. And then the next step up from the TPC20 is the standard Vortex. My IS38 with fbo's was 365 HP and this one looks like it's about 400 HP on 91 octane and the TPC20 is about 420 HP on 91 and Vortex around 440 HP on 91.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Everything I've concluded about this turbo is that on 91 octane it has slightly more potential than the IS38 and less than the TPC20. And then the next step up from the TPC20 is the standard Vortex. My IS38 with fbo's was 365 HP and this one looks like it's about 400 HP on 91 octane and the TPC20 is about 420 HP on 91 and Vortex around 440 HP on 91.

This sounds about right. The Pmax stg1 spools around 2800 rpm to full boost in 4th, the TPC20 around 3200, Vortex around 3300-3350. Price tuned for a drop in including actuator is around 1800 for PMAX, 2200 TPC20 and 2600 Vortex. It's great to have choice.