GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Boom! Stock mount has nearly zero room back there b/c that's where the bushing is suppose to set - the 034 just doesn't have a wide enough casing...v. strange and goes against the "They are from the same factory/are re-branded OE with a new insert" mantra I've heard. I remember this b/c I obsessively detail/clean my engine bay and always tried to clean back there and remember that you can't. I'm not concered the 034 is going to cause issues/not work but still, a design issue they should address and embarassing or a $275 set of mounts. That wide part of the OE mount is the portion that contains the oil...maybe b/c the 034 doesn't that part of this issuse?

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Ok - I have gotten to the bottom of this issue. Rather than speculating and conspriacy theories, I just go measure shit. Here we go:

Stock mount is 55mm for the "horseshoe" portion and is 73mm at the widest part of the base.

034 mount is 45mm for the "horseshoe" portion and is 70mm at the widest part of the base.

The rubber is sticking out ~10mm.... 55-45 is... drumroll... 10mm. I also definitively recall the OE mount nearly touching the unibody on the back. The 034's metal "horseshoe" portion just isn't wide enough essentially. While an oversight on the design end, this shouldn't cause any issues as I see it b/c the mount has ample support where it needs to be. I will be speaking with 034 and sharing this info with them for sure. I think I have a picture somewhere with the stock mount that will show that they rear portion is nearly touching the unibody just like the rubber portion of the 034 that is sticking out a little.
Best of luck, they'll prob tell you it's normal.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Custom Performance Engineering makes rubber ones too. I’ve had the 70a for 12K or so and they’ve been good so far. I would recommend going with the 55a for people who drive a lot, though.
I'm so curious about the cp-e 55a mounts but as far as I can tell no one who has them has posted anywhere about them, only you with the 70a.

The more I read about BFI and poly mounts the more I think no way. Guys who drive buzzy shitboxes love to post on forums about how there's "no added NVH". Sure thing guy.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm so curious about the cp-e 55a mounts but as far as I can tell no one who has them has posted anywhere about them, only you with the 70a.

The more I read about BFI and poly mounts the more I think no way. Guys who drive buzzy shitboxes love to post on forums about how there's "no added NVH". Sure thing guy.
Several guys have said the BFI stage 1 mounts added the least vibration of any they have used

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Several guys have said the BFI stage 1 mounts added the least vibration of any they have used
Cause they used zero other options… I have and I now have a set if used BFI in my garage. Lol.

It’s just like when people with catless downpipes and muffler deletes say “I have very little drone” sound and vibrations are HIGHLY subjective based on the end users.

In reality I never wanted to change from stock mounts when I got the BFIs but I felt like I was stuck out of options when My stocks took a dump. (Or so I thought, Unless you ask BFI,lol)

For me, I will deal with changing the softer weaker mounts prematurely to keep the car more quiet and complaint for my daily driving preference.

Now if it was just a fun time car… those BFI stage 1 full mounts were excellent! Super solid rapid shifts and throttle response.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I have been going back/forth with 034 with the pics, measurements, and of course a link to this thread. Will be curious what they come up with - the measurements are just off and getting a stock mount and doing detailed measurements vs. their mount should make it obvious where the differences are. So to me, the mount's arm that attaches to the engine is too long trying to push the engine over by 10mm which it can't so the bushing just moves out by 10mm to compensate.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cause they used zero other options… I have and I now have a set if used BFI in my garage. Lol.

It’s just like when people with catless downpipes and muffler deletes say “I have very little drone” sound and vibrations are HIGHLY subjective based on the end users.

In reality I never wanted to change from stock mounts when I got the BFIs but I felt like I was stuck out of options when My stocks took a dump. (Or so I thought, Unless you ask BFI,lol)

For me, I will deal with changing the softer weaker mounts prematurely to keep the car more quiet and complaint for my daily driving preference.

Now if it was just a fun time car… those BFI stage 1 full mounts were excellent! Super solid rapid shifts and throttle response.
Had I not got lucky and found the SuperPro mounts I probably would have just kept getting the stock mounts also.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Had I not got lucky and found the SuperPro mounts I probably would have just kept getting the stock mounts also.
There is a market for a nice aftermarket upgraded mount set that uses rubber vs. poly. 034 is so close...just a bit more QA/QC.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There is a market for a nice aftermarket upgraded mount set that uses rubber vs. poly. 034 is so close...just a bit more QA/QC.
SuperPro mounts are some kind of patented poly and there's no added vibration. Just a little bit of mechanical sound from the DSG at 2-3 MPH.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
SuperPro mounts are some kind of patented poly and there's no added vibration. Just a little bit of mechanical sound from the DSG at 2-3 MPH.
yeah but it shares more characterizes with rubber than urethan products, that's why they have reports at being so pleasant im sure.

"Polyelast Engine Mount Set. SuperPro has specialized in polyurethane for nearly thirty years. SuperPro continues to develop new designs and refine our formulations to offer the best combination of performance, longevity, comfort and compliance. Ultimately no matter how far we take the designs and materials there are inherent limitations in the properties of the material. One such area is typically found in engine, transmission and drivetrain mounts.

Enter Polyelast. Polyelast is a synthetic rubber formulation that provides the performance benefits and attributes of high quality polyurethane with the noise and vibration damping characteristics of conventional rubber with a much longer service life. Unlike conventional rubber Polyelast does not degrade with prolonged use and exposure to heat and movement. In the case of the TRC2001 application we have utilized OEM brackets and housings, the Polyelast also retain an OE-style hydraulic construction for further NVH damping. This mounts set minimizes movement of the engine and transmission under load to maximize performance but does not add ANY additional NVH to the car – the primary issue, complain and drawback to polyurethane engine mount options."

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn

I'm in the same boat! I think one of us is just going to have to be the guinea pig and try the 55a ones.

My wife asked me what I did to the car the first time she was in it after I put in the Powerflex puck, which supposedly, doesn't add much NVH. Thankfully it broke in and is better, but " 'cause racecar!" is probably not going to cut it if I add even more vibrations.

I'm almost at this point too. The stock mounts are so cheap, like $150 for a set, I could just change them every 30-40k mi if I had too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Its not just the internal rubber pushing out issue, I’ve seen several instances of failures at low mileage (both of the rubber and broken aluminum castings).

I did a brief search to give you a little more than my word on that, but unfortunately the threads weren’t titled with 034 & I gave up on looking.

Anyone, I’ve seen them both here & on the FB page hence my BFI recommendations based on personal experience there.

I totally get the guys who’ve said they’re too much for their personal preferences, especially on DSG cars (which seem to suffer the most with NVH from upgraded mounts). Just keeping OEM mounts swapped out regularly can absolutely be a solution.

Edit, here’s after 30 seconds of searching on FB

Attachments

• 33E1D2E1-CD52-4881-9C33-61B058F86B9E.png
    33E1D2E1-CD52-4881-9C33-61B058F86B9E.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 98

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

You literally can't get any performance from mounts without SOME nvh. Sounds like you should just keep the car stock.
So I have been going back/forth with 034 with the pics, measurements, and of course a link to this thread.
Hey 034, if you see this fuck you and you're shitty products. Tell Samuel he's an idiot and shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
[yelling from inside a buzzy shitbox] "Sounds like you should just keep the car stock!"

Sure thing bro!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You literally can't get any performance from mounts without SOME nvh. Sounds like you should just keep the car stock.

Hey 034, if you see this fuck you and you're shitty products. Tell Samuel he's an idiot and shouldn't be anywhere near a car.
I tend to approach things a bit differently and have had more success that way but to each their own .