GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selling to Carmax

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Damn, that's crazy. Makes me wonder if I could get a low option CT4 Blackwing at anything close to MSRP 🤣
There are no low option CT4 BW's out there, they're all in the $70k+ range, which just isn't appealing to me, especially with all of the ugly carbon bits glued to them. I debated seeing if I could order one, but ultimately didn't want to deal with a GM dealer. Pity, it's a great car, but they really need a brand that isn't Cadillac.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Damn, that's crazy. Makes me wonder if I could get a low option CT4 Blackwing at anything close to MSRP 🤣

If you’re willing to travel, and wait, and want to put the effort into calling a ton of caddy dealers to see who would take an order and sell at msrp I’m sure you can find one. Or copy pasta an email and send it to every caddy dealer within whatever range you want. That would only take a few minutes. Would be funny if you cc’d them all in the same thread.

If you need one tomorrow probably not.

My dad ended up doing that with a new Benz. After calling 25 or so dealers he found one that took his order and put in writing that it has no markup. 6 month lead time but he’s fine with that and not paying a markup.

Better luck with smaller market dealerships is what I’ve generally seen in terms of adm vehicles over the years. If I get a new mk8r I’ll probably be calling dealers out in the boonies and avoiding the Chicago metro stores.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If you’re willing to travel, and wait, and want to put the effort into calling a ton of caddy dealers to see who would take an order and sell at msrp I’m sure you can find one. Or copy pasta an email and send it to every caddy dealer within whatever range you want. That would only take a few minutes. Would be funny if you cc’d them all in the same thread.

If you need one tomorrow probably not.

My dad ended up doing that with a new Benz. After calling 25 or so dealers he found one that took his order and put in writing that it has no markup. 6 month lead time but he’s fine with that and not paying a markup.

Better luck with smaller market dealerships is what I’ve generally seen in terms of adm vehicles over the years. If I get a new mk8r I’ll probably be calling dealers out in the boonies and avoiding the Chicago metro stores.
Just bcc

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
There are no low option CT4 BW's out there, they're all in the $70k+ range, which just isn't appealing to me, especially with all of the ugly carbon bits glued to them. I debated seeing if I could order one, but ultimately didn't want to deal with a GM dealer. Pity, it's a great car, but they really need a brand that isn't Cadillac.

To be fair, there are only a handful out there to begin with, especially with the 6MT. If I could find one close to MSRP, and get close to what others are getting on their R, it would be tempting.

I have no need for 15K worth of carbon fiber add ons lol.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Charging above sticker price for a 2 year old used car is insane. Everything about the market right now is insane.
I couldn't believe the numbers people are quoting so I got a quote from Carvana. They offered me 6k more today than Carmax offered me for a lease buyout three years ago when the car had 30k fewer miles. Who is paying these prices? It seems like with all the WFH cars wouldn't be selling at all.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
My buddy just sold his 2014 Hyundai Genesis with 48k miles to Carvana for 15k. He bought it for 9.5k, @ 43k miles over a year ago. It has an aftermarket front bumper and he just cracked the front bumper after he rear ended someone. The rear quarter panel also has a dent. Decent amount of "wear" scratches on the body. It is definitely a seller's market right now.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I couldn't believe the numbers people are quoting so I got a quote from Carvana. They offered me 6k more today than Carmax offered me for a lease buyout three years ago when the car had 30k fewer miles. Who is paying these prices? It seems like with all the WFH cars wouldn't be selling at all.
I had the same thing happen, no idea why I was looking but I saw that Carvana would give me 2k more for my GSW then what I bought it for, so I traded up.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I didn't want to start a new thread but thought I'd pass on my happy story of receiving my car title in the mail this weekend. That's right, she's all paid off! Granted I didn't finance in full since I applied a trade in towards it but still had to finance at least half the value of the car when I purchased it last year.

I'd say, time to get modding! Though... I already began that a few months after getting her, lol. Well, time to keep her alive for as long as possible :D

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
My parents just sold a 2010 Bug to Carmax for 5k. Insurance had written it off a few years ago after an accident and they bought it back. My dad did the body work himself (first time) and Maaco painted it. I do not understand.

cb1111

My parents just sold a 2010 Bug to Carmax for 5k. Insurance had written it off a few years ago after an accident and they bought it back. My dad did the body work himself (first time) and Maaco painted it. I do not understand.
The market is nuts,

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
We took in a 2015 stingray on trade a couple years ago. The chevy dealer said they'd give us $35k for it, so we put $35k into it for the guys trade. My dad used the car for a couple months and then took it the dealer and all they would offer was $25k. Now he's been driving it since then. He took it in for service last month and while he was there he asked them what they'd give us for it. A couple weeks ago he sold it to them for $40k. Before he left I guess a salesman told him they'd probably sell it for $55k.

Looks like they've got it at $49.9k.
1640149972212.png

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
really a terrible time to buy a car but a great time to sell one lol. I am thinking of parting ways with my older truck. I just put a lot of work into it to get it somewhat driveable and restored but figure if I could get some money for it that would be nice. Sadly any place online like carvana says its worth max 1900 (but they never saw the car) seems like its based on their computer generated numbers where most offers are about the year of the car

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
really a terrible time to buy a car but a great time to sell one lol. I am thinking of parting ways with my older truck. I just put a lot of work into it to get it somewhat driveable and restored but figure if I could get some money for it that would be nice. Sadly any place online like carvana says its worth max 1900 (but they never saw the car) seems like its based on their computer generated numbers where most offers are about the year of the car

How old is it? Really low offers from the online places is usually the "we don't want to buy it but have to give you a price" price. They aren't in the business of selling older "somewhat drivable" vehicles.