GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil considerations

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Based on a couple points widely circulated and accepted in this community, I have a question about oil…

Point 1: You should wait for your oil to warm up a bit (recommendations vary from 140-200F) before really getting on the boost to make sure it’s viscous enough to best protect all components.

Point 2: Aftermarket tunes usually tend to keep oil temps lower.

Considering the above, if you’re tuned, wouldn’t it make sense to use 0w40 oil instead of 5w40, assuming it meets VW specs?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wait until at least 180*. I always wait until up to full temperature. The weight of the oil depends on your ambient temperatures. Tuning wouldn't matter as much as ambient temperature.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Wait until at least 180*. I always wait until up to full temperature. The weight of the oil depends on your ambient temperatures. Tuning wouldn't matter as much as ambient temperature.
The 180 is to ensure the oil is viscous enough, right? So wouldn’t a 0w oil be more viscous and thus more protection earlier?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The 180 is to ensure the oil is viscous enough, right? So wouldn’t a 0w oil be more viscous and thus more protection earlier?
The oil temp is partly so it's viscous enough but also so all engine parts are up to temp. A zero weight oil is I would say thicker for a lack of a proper term but the difference between 0 and 5 weight isn't that significant. Even in Florida where you live I would use a 10w30 weight in the winter. That's what I use in Phoenix. I'm guessing your ambient temp range in the winter is like from 35* to 75* on average.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The oil temp is partly so it's viscous enough but also so all engine parts are up to temp. A zero weight oil is I would say thicker for a lack of a proper term but the difference between 0 and 5 weight isn't that significant. Even in Florida where you live I would use a 10w30 weight in the winter. That's what I use in Phoenix. I'm guessing your ambient temp range in the winter is like from 35* to 75* on average.
You have me really confused now 😆. Why would I use an oil that’s thicker when cold?

Winter temps where I am are more like 45-80. Mornings below that aren’t that common.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You have me really confused now 😆. Why would I use an oil that’s thicker when cold?

Winter temps where I am are more like 45-80. Mornings below that aren’t that common.
You wouldn't use a thicker weight when cold. If I said it wrong I'm sorry. But with your ambient temp a 40w oil really isn't necessary.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Google oil viscosity and there's lots of links explaining it better than I can.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
My understanding is the first number is for cold. Lower = thinner. So 10w would be thicker than 5w or 0w when cold. Unless I’m a complete idiot who doesn’t understand oil 😂 (Very possible)

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
FWIW I always ran Mobil1 0w40 in my 2015, now in the 2019 im debating if I really do need 0w20 or if I can just keep on usin the same shit

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
FWIW I always ran Mobil1 0w40 in my 2015, now in the 2019 im debating if I really do need 0w20 or if I can just keep on usin the same shit
I've read guys with the 19 model running both those weights. They talk about it in the racing threads. Ask @GTIfan99 about it. He has a 19.