GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R, Spektrum Viper Green 1 of 33 for SALE

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Any idea if the Oettinger kit was a "factory option" or purely a dealer add-on? If it came with an Akrapovic too, I could see it pulling that price, especially if the factory did the paint work on the body kit.

wisconsinbrew

Car(s)
16 A3 2.0t , 15 GSW
SE Wisconsin resident here.
Hall Imports typically offers quality used vehicles but sometimes at a premium price compared to the rest of the local market.

For that price point, i'd be buckling up in a 2019 Porshe Macan S.

Caveat Emptor

Last edited:

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Jake the snake. Love dealers that act like spektrums were anything other than a paint job. And in terms of rarity viper green was the most common by far iirc.

Not a spektrum but this has 7000 fewer miles, the correct transmission and is 20 grand less.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/a73af400-3242-41fd-8f40-6ef82a35e904?aff=share_other you guys should buy it and tack 10 grand on.

65k would put a number of serious performance cars in someone’s garage plenty of clean low mileage rs3s, gt350s, m2 competitions, amongst other things, available at that price point.

But seriously, hope you guys end up eating the 53k you paid for it at auction.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
If I needed a car desperately I’d be so full of “burn in hell” to these types

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Jake the snake. Love dealers that act like spektrums were anything other than a paint job. And in terms of rarity viper green was the most common by far iirc.

Not a spektrum but this has 7000 fewer miles, the correct transmission and is 20 grand less.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/a73af400-3242-41fd-8f40-6ef82a35e904?aff=share_other you guys should buy it and tack 10 grand on.

65k would put a number of serious performance cars in someone’s garage plenty of clean low mileage rs3s, gt350s, m2 competitions, amongst other things, available at that price point.

But seriously, hope you guys end up eating the 53k you paid for it at auction.

Seriously. $65k car budget. Can get either a "special edition" bright green R with 8k miles, or an RS3 with 6k miles. Too bad it's boring white though...

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Seriously. $65k car budget. Can get either a "special edition" bright green R with 8k miles, or an RS3 with 6k miles. Too bad it's boring white though...

So there's actually another spektrum car (curry yellow) with the oettinger kit thats been for sale for weeks. Isn't the full kit but its a rarer color (1 of 1). Curry Yellow

The existence and generally high availability of clean RS3s really puts a ceiling on the value of these cars for the near term. They're on the same platform, it has significantly higher performance, a more unique drivetrain, more brand cache. Lower volume vehicle overall (I know 199 spektrums). The only people interested in this car at any sort of premium are going to be the exact same type of enthusiast interested RS3s. The only subset I can think this would speak to over an RS3 is someone super active in the car show community and this is worth more points or however that works, but there are 33 viper greens so its not a unicorn.

Funny story. When I got my 19 there was one new unsold spektrum left (squirrel gray). The dealer didn't list the price online so I pinged them and told them if it was available for MSRP I'd be on the next flight out.

Their response:

2019 Golf R DCC Nav 4Mo 7-spd DSG Auto
Squirrel Gray Exterior
Titan Black Leather Interior
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT:
VW Spektrum
Gloss Black Alloy Wheels Package
Sport HMI

Special OffersMARKET VALUE:
$65,120
Apply For FinancingYOUR PRICE:
$60,125+FEES

My response:

I'd get an RS3 if I was looking to spend 60.

Their response:

PREPARED JUST FOR YOU:​

2019 VW Golf R Automatic!

Market Value
$51,040.00
Discount:
$2,000
Your Price:
$49,040.00

I also don't get how financing and insurance would work on a purchase so obviously over market value (the curry yellow car price was just dropped to 44, was 48 several weeks ago) . Financing would be a bitch, probably require major gap insurance and/or a giant down payment or it'd need to be a straight up cash purchase. Insuring it for the purchase price is going to be a pain as well. I talk to my agent fairly frequently these days since we had a major home insurance claim we are wrapping up. He's a car guy too so we were talking about inflated values. They've apparently had a few customers back out of purchases when they find out insuring a "Rav4" for 10grand over MSRP isn't doable.

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
65k… for that I would have to go with either a C6 ZR1 or C7 Z06. Some other good mentions in here too.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Connor checking back in this thread:

tumblr_nrt120wzfZ1uxh8ndo1_500.gif

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Where did you guys see they paid 53k for it?

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Maybe it's just me, but the body kit on the viper green car is real ugly, especially with it being black, but the tacked on green below the bumper? 🤮

For similar money you can get a Cayman 718 GTS and all sorts of other significantly better cars..

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
It's completely understandable if there are those of you who find the vehicle to be "too expensive". It is though a part of VW history and there are not Spektrum R's available for sale that are in remotely similar condition or with the mileage this low. This is meant for a collector or enthusiast who knows what it means to have it. It's not just a standard '19 R. If it was you'd be seeing it priced the way you are implying this one should be.

I appreciate everyone's replies though! It's nice to see the interest in the post.

I mean I get the sentiment but it really is just a standard R, and with the manual its also the significantly slower version of this generation (and I've owned both transmissions, drove cross country to pick up my most recent one and would qualify in most circles as an enthusiast). If you're going to spend 20,000 over msrp for the fastest R buy the fastest R.

The Spektrum package is literally nothing but a paint job, every single part on that car is standard R, the body kit was (and still is?) available to anyone who wanted to hop on VWs parts website or ECS and place an order. The black prets an option on all 2019s. I appreciate that VW made these but its a lazy "package". Honda makes a special type R and it gets exclusive forged bbs wheels, loses 28 pounds, gets upgraded brakes and tweaked chassis specs. VW rebrands the audi exclusive paint program.

The 337 and 20th GTIs had unique recaro seats and interior trim pieces, wheels, body kit, headlights, badging and better suspension. Farenheits got unique wheels and some interior trim and were numbered. The effort with the Spektrum was literally bare minimum. VW has a huge parts bin of wheels and seats globally and within the US that fit mqb and they couldn't even source something unique. The enthusiast specifically into these cars who knows what it means to own it knows what it means to own an RS3 as well and almost 8000 miles on a 2 year old former fleet vehicle is a lot for a collector, you don't even have to look all that hard to find photos of this car getting hustled on the dragon. The 2018 Spektrum cars from Canada are also trickling south of the border and the exchange rate makes them very good deals. A cliff green manual with under 15000 miles is 39,000 w the exchange rate.

All of that said, I don't live far from you and if VW ends up doing anything special for the R for its 20th anniversary in America in 2024 I'm in so make note of this username and lets talk about my deposit in 2 years if/when its announced :).