GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
The reason I ask is if you only see smoke after idling for an extra amount of time it could be the turbo bearings instead. When my turbo bearings were going bad I only noticed smoke after idling for a longer time and it was oil in the turbo that pools when idling.
Hmmm interesting. Did it smoke on its own or only after revving? Like after the extended idling I mean.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I’d also like to add that I recently swapped downpipes and did not notice any oil residue that looked damp. I’d assume there would be some residue but maybe not. That’s kinda why I was leaning toward the valve seals being the culprit. I would love if it was the turbo haha. Not looking forward to doing valve seals on this car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hmmm interesting. Did it smoke on its own or only after revving? Like after the extended idling I mean.
Only saw it after taking off after long idling. But it would continue for 7-8 seconds until the oil was going through the turbo faster. If you're only seeing a puff I doubt that's it but I would be surprised that it's your valve seals with only 15 k miles. At least you're under warranty right?

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Only saw it after taking off after long idling. But it would continue for 7-8 seconds until the oil was going through the turbo faster. If you're only seeing a puff I doubt that's it but I would be surprised that it's your valve seals with only 15 k miles. At least you're under warranty right?
Sadly I’m tuned so it would not be covered.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Got the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S4's replacing my Hankook Ventus Noble S? stockers. It feels like a different car....the ride feels softer yet they handle better..can take turns faster. Saved a bundle on sale at Costco and they even did a good job putting them on. Thanks for recommending these on the forum.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Got the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S4's replacing my Hankook Ventus Noble S? stockers. It feels like a different car....the ride feels softer yet they handle better..can take turns faster. Saved a bundle on sale at Costco and they even did a good job putting them on. Thanks for recommending these on the forum.

For shits and grins, I autocrossed on the Noble S2's the first weekend when I bought the 18. I was surprised the amount of lateral grip they had, equally surprised how bad they were under braking and acceleration. Just a weird tire. Reminds be of the old RE92's that came OEM on the GD WRX's.

I for shits and grins, I did a track day with the 19 the first weekend I owned it, with the addition of the 26mm rear bar I took off the 18. The 19 had the Bridgestone AS tires, whatever they were, and at 7 to 8/10ths, they did really well. A little squirmy under braking, a little soft, but had all around decent grip laterally, under braking, and under acceleration.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
For shits and grins, I autocrossed on the Noble S2's the first weekend when I bought the 18. I was surprised the amount of lateral grip they had, equally surprised how bad they were under braking and acceleration. Just a weird tire. Reminds be of the old RE92's that came OEM on the GD WRX's.

I for shits and grins, I did a track day with the 19 the first weekend I owned it, with the addition of the 26mm rear bar I took off the 18. The 19 had the Bridgestone AS tires, whatever they were, and at 7 to 8/10ths, they did really well. A little squirmy under braking, a little soft, but had all around decent grip laterally, under braking, and under acceleration.
Thanks.. yes thats it...the Hankooks were not squirmy and seemed to have great lateral grip but did not inspire a lot grip overall..
the Michelins feel both tight and grippy.

I think I may have a rear sway bar in my future but don't want one that gives too much oversteer...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks.. yes thats it...the Hankooks were not squirmy and seemed to have great lateral grip but did not inspire a lot grip overall..

I think I may have a rear sway bar in my future but don't want one that gives too much oversteer...
Stick with a RSB under 25 mm and you'll be fine. Makes it pretty neutral.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

No such thing, unless you go 26mm, stock suspension, zero toe, and go lower than -1.5 degree negative camber in the rear, then it gets super dicey.

It's really hard to get these things to oversteer.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
No such thing, unless you go 26mm, stock suspension, zero toe, and go lower than -1.5 degree negative camber in the rear, then it gets super dicey.

agreed it’s easy to get “less understeer,” but to induce legit oversteer is borderline defying physics on a FF car

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

This. With my 26mm bar the only way I’ve ever induced oversteer was with worn tires in the rain at the limit. Take any of those three factors out and it’s a non issue.

Also, if you’ve ever had anything fun to drive prior it’s also a non issue.