GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sure

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Got an email from Nick. More knock than he likes to see, recommends better quality gas (already get the best I can as far as I'm aware), checking plugs, and possibly replacing with the $180 NGK Racing 9s. Current ones are IHK24s with 1k miles on them that I gapped to 0.024 before install.
Mine did not like the IKH24's or the NGK racing plugs. They both ran rich. I haven't had any problem with the Ruthenium or the RS7 plugs gapped to 024.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mine did not like the IKH24's or the NGK racing plugs. They both ran rich. I haven't had any problem with the Ruthenium or the RS7 plugs gapped to 024.

I'd be a little hesitant to run stock heat range plugs (Ruth's) on this application. I know Sneeky recommends the Brisk ER12S. Just considering I don't track or race the car, I can't see the benefit of spending $180 on a set of racing plugs.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
And while I know it's an irrational fear, I've read too many stories of the tips coming off the RS7 plugs, causing havoc.

Yes, I know that's irrational 🤣

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
And while I know it's an irrational fear, I've read too many stories of the tips coming off the RS7 plugs, causing havoc.

Yes, I know that's irrational 🤣
Not at all - I replaced my RS7's for Ruths yesterday because of the same reason. Fuck it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd be a little hesitant to run stock heat range plugs (Ruth's) on this application. I know Sneeky recommends the Brisk ER12S. Just considering I don't track or race the car, I can't see the benefit of spending $180 on a set of racing plugs.
And as you know the racing plugs are 2 steps colder and don't get hot enough for street driving. Mine ran extremely rich because of that.

Diggs24 runs the Ruthenium without any problems. But definitely get the plugs you're comfortable with.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
And as you know the racing plugs are 2 steps colder and don't get hot enough for street driving. Mine ran extremely rich because of that.

Diggs24 runs the Ruthenium without any problems. But definitely get the plugs you're comfortable with.

That definitely plays into it as well. Nevermind the $180 price tag, I don't want something two steps colder either.

So get the Ruths.

Don't even need to get them, have the set I put in like 6 months ago still sitting in my garage with like 5k miles on them.

I thought it was ill-advised to run stock heat range at this level? I know the adage of "One step colder per 75-100hp added!" doesn't really hold true for this platform. My AFR hasn't changed too drastically, from what it was at stage 2. Went from like 11.61 at the top of 3rd to now around 12.2 at the top of 3rd. That still would be fine with stock heatrange Ruths?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That definitely plays into it as well. Nevermind the $180 price tag, I don't want something two steps colder either.

Don't even need to get them, have the set I put in like 6 months ago still sitting in my garage with like 5k miles on them.

I thought it was ill-advised to run stock heat range at this level? I know the adage of "One step colder per 75-100hp added!" doesn't really hold true for this platform. My AFR hasn't changed too drastically, from what it was at stage 2. Went from like 11.61 at the top of 3rd to now around 12.2 at the top of 3rd. That still would be fine with stock heatrange Ruths?
Don't see why not but then I'm not an expert. I'm at 416 HP with them but I know you will be higher. Diggs24 is much higher HP with them.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’ve run them all with my current setup… Ruth’s, ihk24s, brisks er12, and currently brisk er10s.

Honestly never saw much of a discernible difference between any of them when still gapped at .024 as far as knock sensitivity goes, and running the 2 stages colder has not shown to be an issue of them not being hot enough to be self cleaning still either.

While Jim’s car running fine with stock heat ranges is a good example for pump fuel /hybrid /stock heat range.

I think taking others findings like myself being fine with stock heat range should be taken with caution… as some of us run ethanol heavy fuel and I’m even adding in a 60/40 mix of methanol/water (meth heavy)
Ethanol (alcohol) does have a lower temperature that regular fuel and therefor should also be introducing a lower combustion chamber temperature into this scenario, add in that you plan to raise your boost levels to over 30 though this process - and still plan to run pump gas, it’s going to put you potentially into an even hotter combustion temp than say Jim’s current setup thats fouled out the 2step plugs.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
im in CA, so pump gas has 10 percent ethanol, and then our ethanol is 80 percent by volume.. im running the brisk er10s, on my e35 tuned is38 gapped at 0.023 i had run the er12s earlier on my is20, had no issues with either plug at either power level.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ve run them all with my current setup… Ruth’s, ihk24s, brisks er12, and currently brisk er10s.

Honestly never saw much of a discernible difference between any of them when still gapped at .024 as far as knock sensitivity goes, and running the 2 stages colder has not shown to be an issue of them not being hot enough to be self cleaning still either.

While Jim’s car running fine with stock heat ranges is a good example for pump fuel /hybrid /stock heat range.

I think taking others findings like myself being fine with stock heat range should be taken with caution… as some of us run ethanol heavy fuel and I’m even adding in a 60/40 mix of methanol/water (meth heavy)
Ethanol (alcohol) does have a lower temperature that regular fuel and therefor should also be introducing a lower combustion chamber temperature into this scenario, add in that you plan to raise your boost levels to over 30 though this process - and still plan to run pump gas, it’s going to put you potentially into an even hotter combustion temp than say Jim’s current setup thats fouled out the 2step plugs.
So what would you add to that in Diggs24 situation. He is probably over 500 HP and runs Ruthenium plugs without any problems. Not trying to be argumentative just understand this better.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So what would you add to that in Diggs24 situation. He is probably over 500 HP and runs Ruthenium plugs without any problems. Not trying to be argumentative just understand this better.
Without a true dyno run I’m not sure he’s at over 500 to the wheels (hp is not really as relevant though) he also runs ethanol… i ran the Ruth’s on my car too, had no issues but just not fully comfortable with it for worries of pre-ignition for stock heat range is the only reason i personally didn’t want to keep them in.