GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration at highway speed since getting new wheels

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, no. They probably know less than I do about cars...LOL. I have an appointment for Friday to take it back and let them look at it. I will bring all of that up. I have never had a problem at Discount Tire that they could not fix. If one of the guys forgot something or did it wrong they will fix it.
That's been my experience with them also. Good luck I hope they find what they did wrong. 🤞

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Good advice here. One of the reasons I never use non-OEM wheels. Just more variables to go wrong. Absolutely make sure the centering rings are both the proper ones and they they fit properly. And that the new lugs are also the correct spec. Unless they did not balance them at all after mounting it’s almost certainly one of those two items that are suspect.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's why I bought hub centric wheels with the proper offset, I hate spacers and hub rings.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Good advice here. One of the reasons I never use non-OEM wheels. Just more variables to go wrong. Absolutely make sure the centering rings are both the proper ones and they they fit properly. And that the new lugs are also the correct spec. Unless they did not balance them at all after mounting it’s almost certainly one of those two items that are suspect.
Well when I ordered the wheels it automatically ordered what is on that order sheet I posted. If the supplier sent the correct ones I would not know, but will have them check. Now, that place is a zoo. It stays busy and I am sure they rush to turn over each bay. They could have not balanced them, as I was not watching them.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
Well when I ordered the wheels it automatically ordered what is on that order sheet I posted. If the supplier sent the correct ones I would not know, but will have them check. Now, that place is a zoo. It stays busy and I am sure they rush to turn over each bay. They could have not balanced them, as I was not watching them.
I purchased wheels and tires from Tirerack that required and came with centering rings that were plastic. I could not get rid of the vibration. I purchased a set of aluminum ones and by installing them with the car jacked up was able to make it work.88ft/lbs in 3 steps, the last you'll need to do on the ground. I do 30-60-88. Torque wrench not impact gun.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Most likely because of the centering rings. Even with the best balance, you may never completely get rid of vibration. Nature of not using Hub centric wheels. And if they are cheap plastic rings, they flex. I gave up on aftermarket wheels.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Every Discount Tires store I have been to allows me to drive the car in and stay with the car and watch them do the work. I use that opportunity to check how much brake pads I have left. And I witness what is being done.
100% on this, I don't mind they driving the car in, but I am outside watching them drive it in and do the work. I have been able to catch mistakes that they do and have them correct them on the spot. On this last set of wheels I bought I told them to place my OEM wheels in bags and in the car, one of the techs didn't read the work sheet and started to take the air out of the tires to remove them. I told them to stop and called the lead tech. On the same install they didn't receive right the centric rings, and didn't have the black lug bolts... I never had so many issues with a Discount Tire store, but I guess with the lack of people wanting to work this days they have a lot of new workers than have no idea what they are doing.

It's why I bought hub centric wheels with the proper offset, I hate spacers and hub rings.
I almost always do this... but the wheels that I wanted for this car were way out off budget. Another thing is that a lot of the wheels I like for the car are not offered with the right offset or width.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Most likely because of the centering rings. Even with the best balance, you may never completely get rid of vibration. Nature of not using Hub centric wheels. And if they are cheap plastic rings, they flex. I gave up on aftermarket wheels.
Gotcha, Konig sells both for their wheels, but recommend the plastic ones, unless you are racing or something. It may end up being something I have to live with if I want after market wheels. The fan blade wheels on the S are putrid:sick:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Gotcha, Konig sells both for their wheels, but recommend the plastic ones, unless you are racing or something. It may end up being something I have to live with if I want after market wheels. The fan blade wheels on the S are putrid:sick:

You don't have to live with improper balance. You may just need different hub rings. I can PM you the aluminum ones I used with my Konig wheels if you like. They're still in use and have zero issues on my buddies car.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I purchased wheels and tires from Tirerack that required and came with centering rings that were plastic. I could not get rid of the vibration. I purchased a set of aluminum ones and by installing them with the car jacked up was able to make it work.88ft/lbs in 3 steps, the last you'll need to do on the ground. I do 30-60-88. Torque wrench not impact gun.
Weird, my wheels from Tire Rack came with metal centering rings. I bought relatively recently though, I wonder if they changed? Either way, I don't have vibration issues, and I'm happy with the results.

OP, hope you get it sorted, and definitely make sure you've got the correct lugs -- the wrong shape can cause a catastrophic failure in which your wheel could secede from the auto union (see what I did there?).

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Weird, my wheels from Tire Rack came with metal centering rings. I bought relatively recently though, I wonder if they changed? Either way, I don't have vibration issues, and I'm happy with the results.

OP, hope you get it sorted, and definitely make sure you've got the correct lugs -- the wrong shape can cause a catastrophic failure in which your wheel could secede from the auto union (see what I did there?).
Well, I paid for the right lugs I don't know what they installed. I honestly don't know what rings were installed either. It could be metal ones. Konig sales both but recommends the plastic due to corrosion.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
Well, I paid for the right lugs I don't know what they installed. I honestly don't know what rings were installed either. It could be metal ones. Konig sales both but recommends the plastic due to corrosion.
1 of my aluminum rings stuck last year. Been using them for 6 years with summer tires. I coat them w/ silicone usually and change about now every year for stock wheels and all seasons. It came off with wd40 and a rubber mallet.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
1 of my aluminum rings stuck last year. Been using them for 6 years with summer tires. I coat them w/ silicone usually and change about now every year for stock wheels and all seasons. It came off with wd40 and a rubber mallet.
Yeah, that is why Konig recommends the plastic, but I guess those have their own issues. May want to try a different brand of anti-seize. I guess if I have metal ones I can get the rings checked every time I rotate the tires to make sure they are properly lubed.