GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning options for California

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Please forgive me if this has been covered already, I tried finding a specific link.
I am gearing up to tune my '17 GTI 6MT. I already have a JB4 with a nice map 6, Bull-X downpipe.......... It's really nice and fun to drive as is and has been completely reliable. I'd like some more power, just for fun and without any plans for drag racing, side stepping the clutch etc. Really just want more ooomph. That being said, I'll be up for smog inspections in a few years. I don't mind swapping down pipes, etc. I live right around the corner from EQT so have been eying the Stage 2 tune which to my understanding can be reflashed to stock settings easily. If I stepped up up to an IS38 or Vortex turbo, are there any provisions to get these to run on the stock tune configuration even if it is just to pass smog (gentle driving to allow readiness reset)? I can't imagine that most smog techs would be able to visually differentiate an IS38 from an IS20 etc. Just hioping to avoid the digital signature for these modifications. Thanks for your thoughts.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Awesome. I'm a once and done - buy once cry once guy. glad to hear this. thank you

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
You'll want an IC upgrade too. I'd get a direct fit for the stealth look. HPFP upgrade will be necessary for vortex. That will also be fine to putz around with stock tune. Easy enough to swap too. (easier than DP TBH)
I plan on DMIC, engine mounts clutch etc. I'm getting my ducks in a row sow this is not done piecemeal. Appreciate the advice.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
APR stage 1 is carb legal, you could get pretty solid results stacking that with a JB4 and an Is38 while still being on the right side of the law. A lot easier to unplug a JB4 than to constantly reflash every two years once smog exemption expires if you ask me. An o2 spacer could also get emissions to clear even with an aftermarket downpipe, though that relies partially on finding a more relaxed shop that cares more about OBD emission readiness than staring at what's under the hood.

edit: largely talking as a 1.8 owner, 2.0 with access port tuning makes swapping to stock a complete nonissue.

Last edited:

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
is38 1.8 with APR stage 3 tune here. I had to put back on the stock dp and flash back to stock. Then I had to drive it around for a couple days to get the monitors to set. Went back to the smog shop and passed.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
APR stage 1 is carb legal, you could get pretty solid results stacking that with a JB4 and an Is38 while still being on the right side of the law. A lot easier to unplug a JB4 than to constantly reflash every two years once smog exemption expires if you ask me. An o2 spacer could also get emissions to clear even with an aftermarket downpipe, though that relies partially on finding a more relaxed shop that cares more about OBD emission readiness than staring at what's under the hood.
I wish my downpipe didn't have the brand logo welded to the top, otherwise it would really be pretty much incognito. Have the spacer but sometimes get an CEL. Swapping the pipe every 2 years isn't ideal but I'm fine with it. I used to swap long tube headers on a catless system on my truck which is much more tedious IMHO. Good to know about APR. I'm leaning towards EQT - right in my backyard if there are any issues and the Accessport makes things easy as well a s sellable which seems to be a boon.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
How is it easier? Flashing to stock takes 5-10 minutes.

-- Ed

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
being in the central valley of Ca, i am right there with you, I will have to smog my '17 in a couple years, swapping the dp and flashing a tune really isn't much work every 2 years, with the options for a CARB legal tune. as Diggs mentioned, a bigger turbo I.e is38 ect ect will run fine on an is20 map for software inspection purposes. all that needs to be ensured is the readiness monitors are set when taking it in, and if you are using a an aftermarket intake system, it must be CARB certified for inspection purposes.

i'd venture to say that a fuel pump also will be a non issues for inspection sake, although i can't verify yet with running a cobb stage 2 CARB tune on a pump yet. *fuel codes may prove to be an issue*

this brings another question to mind which is about MPI, is this able to be installed and selected off in the tune, for example, a OTS tune does not have MPI enabled, what potential issues are there if any?. in my mind it wouldn't know the system was installed if the software does not have it active.
*not trying to thread jack. this thread could serve as of some use for us California folk.

edit:
2017 autobahn gti
dsg
is38 accessport tuned by eqt.
stock location mishimoto intercooler

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
How is it easier? Flashing to stock takes 5-10 minutes.

-- Ed
Coming at this as a 1.8 owner, access port doesn't support my platform so to get tuning I have to drive to my nearest APR dealer (which coincidentally is you guys, shame that it's an hour+ drive each way). You're right insofar that for 2.0 owners it's much easier to flash at home, but for me its basically Unitronic and I'm not interested in switching given how deep I am into the APR ecosystem.

Went and edited my original post - you raise a good point and I'm certainly coming at this from an edge case scenario for most MQB tuners.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Can the MPI rail be removed and the drilled injector holes be blocked off to pass smog as well?

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
visual inspection. I'm pretty sure MPI is no bueno here.