GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

proper oil level - on dipstick

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
After my last oil change at the dealership I checked the dipstick and the oil level showed up just over the minimum mark. Is this okay or considered low? In the past they've always filled to show a much higher reading. I'm wondering if I should top it off.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would top it off. When I get my oil changed I bring 6 quarts and it always brings it up to a hair below the top mark. The manual says 6 quarts. Including the filter.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I would top it off. When I get my oil changed I bring 6 quarts and it always brings it up to a hair below the top mark. The manual says 6 quarts. Including the filter.

I've been driving with it at that level for a couple months (about 1.2K miles). I'm not sure the exact oil they use but I think it's VW branded Mobil 1.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
After my last oil change at the dealership I checked the dipstick and the oil level showed up just over the minimum mark. Is this okay or considered low? In the past they've always filled to show a much higher reading. I'm wondering if I should top it off.
When you checked the oil level had the car been driven where the normal oil temperature was achieved? If you did and this was the level on the dip stick then I would add enough to bring it up to mid-way on the dip stick. My 17 GTI takes 5.7 liters and t dip stick shows at mid-way when cold thus allowing for oil expansion when hot.