GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 Porsche Cayenne S

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Talk me out of it. My 2017 GTI has been awesome but I've wanted a little more space, towing, performance.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Is it faster? It's certainly going to hate gas and maintenance will be much, much higher. But it's undeniably larger and can tow more, so if that's what you want, seems like it fits the bill. Many years ago I thought I wanted the original Cayenne GTS with a manual, until I drove it. The newer ones are a lot lighter and more involving than the originals, but still a 5k pound plus car with some crazy expensive maintenance issues.

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Is it faster? It's certainly going to hate gas and maintenance will be much, much higher. But it's undeniably larger and can tow more, so if that's what you want, seems like it fits the bill. Many years ago I thought I wanted the original Cayenne GTS with a manual, until I drove it. The newer ones are a lot lighter and more involving than the originals, but still a 5k pound plus car with some crazy expensive maintenance issues.
It's faster, at least stock. The s is about 400 hp, 400 tq. I've been lurking on the cayenne forums and it sounds like the 2010 and up are solid. The turbo and turbo s are more money/problems. The base is definitely the most reliable but I'd like to have a little fun. They're offering 20k for my 17 GTI with 55,000 miles. I paid 26,500 new. The Cayenne has 45,000 miles and they're asking 38,000. I do maintenance and repair for basic fluids, brakes, part swapping.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's faster, at least stock. The s is about 400 hp, 400 tq. I've been lurking on the cayenne forums and it sounds like the 2010 and up are solid. The turbo and turbo s are more money/problems. The base is definitely the most reliable but I'd like to have a little fun. They're offering 20k for my 17 GTI with 55,000 miles. I paid 26,500 new. The Cayenne has 45,000 miles and they're asking 38,000. I do maintenance and repair for basic fluids, brakes, part swapping.
It's listed as a 14.4 1/4 car, or pretty much a stock GTI time. I just personally hate heavy cars. Consumables become so much more expensive and wear so much quicker. Huge tires, huge brakes, larger fluid capacities, it all adds up every single time you need to do any maintenance. I'm the wrong guy to give advice as I hate all SUVs and really don't get "fast" SUVs. But if you want it, why not? Sounds like it fits your list of wants and budget so get it, this market makes it easy to sell anything if it turns out that you don't like it.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Just be prepared to pay the ‘Porsche tax’ on anything that will need fixing or replacing. I‘ve owned a 2003 996 C4 cabriolet for over 6 years and NOTHING comes cheap when parts wear out.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
It's faster, at least stock. The s is about 400 hp, 400 tq.
more power doesn't equate to more speed, power:weight does. and cayennes are pigs with a high cog. get it for the space/towing but don't kid yourself about performance.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Chickened out, decided to tune the GTI.
Probably best, I owned a similar SUV Touareg and very nice road car, loved driving it and it was all those things you said you wanted but it is sooo thirsty that at these high gas prices it will really be expensive just to put gas in it. That is why I got rid of it.

If you were to buy one, I would buy the TDI version. I have that motor in my Audi A8 and it is fantastic. Smooth powerful and pulls like a tank. And in the Porsche you can get around 27-30mpg depending on the type of driving you do. I get even better mileage in my A8. With just a Malone tune it is 305/490, all that torque is what you want.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Probably best, I owned a similar SUV Touareg and very nice road car, loved driving it and it was all those things you said you wanted but it is sooo thirsty that at these high gas prices it will really be expensive just to put gas in it. That is why I got rid of it.

If you were to buy one, I would buy the TDI version. I have that motor in my Audi A8 and it is fantastic. Smooth powerful and pulls like a tank. And in the Porsche you can get around 27-30mpg depending on the type of driving you do. I get even better mileage in my A8. With just a Malone tune it is 305/490, all that torque is what you want.

I am looking at Touareg TDIs right now to replace my Alltrack. They’re somewhat “flooding” the market with stop saled + buyback Touaregs right now, unreal warranties. I am looking to start a business and want my tow vehicle to retain the VW soul. Touareg is the obvious answer (can’t really do the Atlas, power plant options too unimpressive for size).

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am looking at Touareg TDIs right now to replace my Alltrack. They’re somewhat “flooding” the market with stop saled + buyback Touaregs right now, unreal warranties. I am looking to start a business and want my tow vehicle to retain the VW soul. Touareg is the obvious answer (can’t really do the Atlas, power plant options too unimpressive for size).

I had a 2004 Reg with the 3.2 gasoline V6. It was underpowered but still a very nice car to drive. Fit, finish, handling, braking and cabin comfort were excellent. I test drove the V8 version when it came out in 2005 and that was the right power for the car. The 3.0 TDI has even more torque which would make it even nicer. My A8 TDI with tune is faster than my previous A8 with the 4.2 V8, and the TDI makes a ton of torque at very low 1400 rpms so it is the right type of power band for these hefty vehicles. Moves them effortlessly and I rarely rev past 3000 rpm and even then I am going faster than traffic.

If you are in EU they have a 4.2 TDI V8 which I wish they had here.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I had a 2004 Reg with the 3.2 gasoline V6. It was underpowered but still a very nice car to drive. Fit, finish, handling, braking and cabin comfort were excellent. I test drove the V8 version when it came out in 2005 and that was the right power for the car. The 3.0 TDI has even more torque which would make it even nicer. My A8 TDI with tune is faster than my previous A8 with the 4.2 V8, and the TDI makes a ton of torque at very low 1400 rpms so it is the right type of power band for these hefty vehicles. Moves them effortlessly and I rarely rev past 3000 rpm and even then I am going faster than traffic.

If you are in EU they have a 4.2 TDI V8 which I wish they had here.
Yeah that is good to hear. I do plan on tuning the TDI eventually. Maybe wait till cars paid off so I can justify the added cost if I had to pay for something that would’ve otherwise been covered