GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to choose the right ECU upgrade

Johaan

Ready to race!
Oh! Am I reading it right as a stock tune? That jolt after accelerating past moderate to low throttle on stock is because of the DV clamping down? I feel this commonly in second or third on my DSG in the neighborhood. Interesting that a tune would improve that.

This is why I read these threads, even if not quite ready to pull the trigger..

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That was a Cobb problem that EQT figured out and if you read that it's at a narrow range of throttle input and RPM range. It definitely helps drive ability. Cobb must have updated the firmware on the Access Port because it is fixed on the Sneeky tunes also.
Incorrect. It was not a Cobb problem. It’s something that happens inherently to even stock cars.

Some People notice it and it bothers them (commenter right above) and some don’t, if you didn’t notice it on your dynocomp custom tune then you’re one of them that don’t notice it as - at that time the DV tables were not accessible tables for the any of the tuners to adjust VIA COBB.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Incorrect. It was not a Cobb problem. It’s something that happens inherently to even stock cars.

Some People notice it and it bothers them (commenter right above) and some don’t, if you didn’t notice it on your dynocomp custom tune then you’re one of them that don’t notice it as - at that time the DV tables were not accessible tables for the any of the tuners to adjust VIA COBB.
You're correct. I should have said that it was in the OEM tune not Cobb. I didn't have the DynoComp tune for very long and switched to EQT. That was even before EQT figured that problem out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Not something I’ve ever experienced yet, neither on stock tune or APR 🤷‍♂️. If I have, it wasn’t noticeable. Seems it’s much more noticeable for some.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not something I’ve ever experienced yet, neither on stock tune or APR 🤷‍♂️. If I have, it wasn’t noticeable. Seems it’s much more noticeable for some.
You would notice it if yours was tuned for it. I didn't notice it until it was fixed and was surprised I didn't recognize it. I guess you just accept it because there's no way to think it shouldn't be that way.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
You would notice it if yours was tuned for it. I didn't notice it until it was fixed and was surprised I didn't recognize it. I guess you just accept it because there's no way to think it shouldn't be that way.
Makes sense. LOL damn it I hate problems like that. No going back! It’s cool EQT created the fix though.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You're correct. I should have said that it was in the OEM tune not Cobb. I didn't have the DynoComp tune for very long and switched to EQT. That was even before EQT figured that problem out.
I always felt it on my EQT stage 2 tune even with the latest file and still happens sometimes with my custom is38 tune. There’s no real way around it besides the tuner neutering the tune or the driver simply applying more throttle.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I always felt it on my EQT stage 2 tune even with the latest file and still happens sometimes with my custom is38 tune. There’s no real way around it besides the tuner neutering the tune or the driver simply applying more throttle.
Can't explain why it's not fixed for you.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
IMHO, custom e-tune (unless you live close to a reputable dyno tuning facility) is the best way to go. If it was my car and I did not care about warranty, I would go with a custom tune from EQT. If I had to go OTS, then APR low torque.
Why not an OTS EQT "staged" tune then vs. APR?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can't explain why it's not fixed for you.
Me either lol. It happened with two different turbos & DV's. When I asked Ed about it he said #SmallTurbskiProblems.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This latest chat is confusing to me - on my 1.8 with Uni software, I can bleed off charge with the DV by modulating the throttle....I don't loose all of it, just the amount that is necessary to balance production/consumption of the charge air...otherwise if you don't then it back-flows through the turbine creating on-throttle compressor surge.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This latest chat is confusing to me - on my 1.8 with Uni software, I can bleed off charge with the DV by modulating the throttle....I don't loose all of it, just the amount that is necessary to balance production/consumption of the charge air...otherwise if you don't then it back-flows through the turbine creating on-throttle compressor surge.
OEM programming on the 1.8 probably didn't have the same problem.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It works the same for me on my 2.0T 🤷‍♂️

I think the issue EQT fixed is more specific than simply modulating the throttle.