GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The Fender system uses MOST (fiber optic) output from the main unit to the fender amp, and then the fender amp output goes to the speakers. Hypothetically you could install the Helix, and re-code the MIB to use it's built-in speaker output (which goes to the Helix).

But then you would need to wire from the Helix harness to all of your speakers. And you would also need to replace the speakers (the door ones at least) because they are dual voice coil if I remember correctly.

I also don't know if the Fender tweeters have a built in high-pass filter or if the Fender amp is handling that. If those tweeters do not have built in high pass filters you will need to replace those as well because the Helix puts out full range to the non-Fender tweeters (which have a small capacitor attached to handle high-pass filtering).

I know absolutely nothing about the Beats system... but if it's similar to Fender/Dynaudio then replacing it with the Helix will be quite the PITA.

Shuk'n'Jive

Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI SE DIB
Oooffff.....that does sound like a PITA. Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I used to enjoy hacking into my car stereos and upgrading the sound system when I was a punk kid, but these newer "infotainment" systems are outta my league.

PJJ18

Car(s)
Sportwagen
Installed the upgrade in a sportwagen TDI and programmed it today. While the sub does sound very good, punchy and fairly musical, the mids and highs, while louder, do sound harsh, with less separation and definition than even the stock system. I tried all the different dongle settings, adjusted my Bluetooth volume level, adjusted the phone volume level, adjusted the EQ settings, etc.. Doing these things did help, but I still can’t seem to get it where I want. I’ll reserve final judgement until tomorrow when I can listen with fresh ears. But as of right now I may pull it out and sell it along with the dongle I purchased.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Installed the upgrade in a sportwagen TDI and programmed it today. While the sub does sound very good, punchy and fairly musical, the mids and highs, while louder, do sound harsh, with less separation and definition than even the stock system. I tried all the different dongle settings, adjusted my Bluetooth volume level, adjusted the phone volume level, adjusted the EQ settings, etc.. Doing these things did help, but I still can’t seem to get it where I want. I’ll reserve final judgement until tomorrow when I can listen with fresh ears. But as of right now I may pull it out and sell it along with the dongle I purchased.
correct... the Helix makes the mids and highs sound like crap. and overdrives them. Thats why i removed my Helix a few months after installing it.

PJJ18

Car(s)
Sportwagen
correct... the Helix makes the mids and highs sound like crap. and overdrives them. Thats why i removed my Helix a few months after installing it. Yeah
correct... the Helix makes the mids and highs sound like crap. and overdrives them. Thats why i removed my Helix a few months after installing it.
Yeah. I had heard some other people say this but I figured I’d still give it a shot. Disappointing, but good to know it’s not just me who hears it this way. As of right now my opinion is that I’d be better off with just a line out converter to a sub and amp in the trunk. Then when the budget allows I can change out the mids and tweets and run another amp and a processor. The thought of having a plug and play all in one that didn’t require cracking the doors open or running power and ground all for $500 was too hard to pass up. Oh well, live and learn.

PJJ18

Car(s)
Sportwagen
Lots of people are very happy with the Helix. But if it sounds bad to you then sell and recoup some cost.
Yeah in the end it’s a matter of taste and opinion I suppose. I like to listen pretty damn loud so that may also be some of the issue. The mids and highs aren’t as bad to my ear at moderate volumes. And the sub does it’s job reasonably well, rounding things out and providing that sorely needed low end punch.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... there seems to be a relative consensus that the stock tweeters awful. In one of the threads someone (with Helix) installed coaxes in the doors and just disconnected the stock tweeters. They said it still sounded better despite the highs now coming from the door panels.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did woofers one day, tweeters the next when I installed my JL C1's. It was a noticeable difference between stock woofers and tweeters.

Crutchfield says C1's don't fit, but they fit fine with just a 1/2 spacer.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah Helix hasn’t played out as well for me as others. I have very sensitive ears and it just hurts at low volumes where I can barely even hear it. Granted mine isn’t on 97, the ideal code for a 6-speaker Wagon. It’s on 57 or 60 I believe.

Just need to get around to renting the dongle again.

boston_chris

Car(s)
2018 GTI
One thing I've noticed is that with carplay, it sounds a lot better if I turn down all the EQ settings almost all the way. I think the carplay signal is too high and somehow turning down the EQ reduces distortion. Really noticeable on treble-y songs like Lana Del Rey for instance.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

My experience is a little different. My helix (programmed for my GSW) delivers really accurate and tight bass, and at low to mid and even mid to high volumes the clarity of the mids and highs is also excellent, and the staging is superb. It's only at the higher decibel levels, when pushing the system say to beyond 70% of its capacity, that the mids and highs become harsh, and they get worse the more you crank it up, and I have to back off the volume. At those upper levels the bass still remains remarkably clean. Overall I really love the sound compared with stock, and I'm a former audiophile who designed and built award-winning systems before OEM systems began catching up. I just wish it could keep its clarity at high volume. I wonder if it's a deficiency in the amp's programming profile or simply a limitation of the crap OEM mids and highs that can't handle the higher power. Could be either or both. I bought a set of Focus component mids and highs to replace the front OEMs, but I've since decided to leave the system stock.

boston_chris

Car(s)
2018 GTI
^ Honestly I agree, once I got used to the balance I felt the system has a lot of clarity. The main issue for me is that the sound quality falls apart at high speeds. I think wind or vibration is getting into the speaker cavity and messing it up... But I guess I'm used to BMWs and nicer cars so it's not a fair comparison. Maybe it's just not possible to have great audio at 80MPH+ in this price range.