GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NY Exhaust Fines Loud Illegal Exhaust Systems

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
The days of modding are coming to an end. Traffic deaths are up nationwide and more laws like this are coming. Electric cars are coming fast. It's a sad ending of a golden age that started in the 1950's.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-traffic-deaths-soar-184-first-half-2021-20160-2021-10-28/
It's a shame it's coming to this. I guess I started late in the game. Being in my early 40's and never really modded any cars till I picked up the GTI and I'm really enjoying it. I do enjoy a spirited drive but I'm not out there racing. This sucks.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
And millions of loud AF leaf blowers and lawn mowers are allowed to assault my ears every day without consequence.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
And millions of loud AF leaf blowers and lawn mowers are allowed to assault my ears every day without consequence.
There are so many vehicles/machines out there that make noise, just because our vehicles are loud doesn't mean we want to race. Go after them, go after the guys riding quads illegally on the road. Go after the guys popping wheelies. Go after the guys in Tesla's weaving in traffic. I can't hear them coming, but I guess if you're quietly flying by people it's ok?!

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I don't think modding cars will ever end. The industry makes too much money and there are way too many people that mod there cars to keep it going.
I hope not. But with the EPA cracking down hard on these things, I feel like it's going to make life so much harder for enthusiasts. I don't set out to be the loudest out there, but I do like my 3" exhaust system.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
So as far as I can tell, nothings actually changed as far as the laws are concerned.

They just upped the fine

Just some sabre rattling by our new psychotic interim governor.

We dont usually get hassled to much upstate unless you're already getting nabbed for something more serious or you're blatantly being a dick and scaring old ladies.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
How many people on this forum alone are running catless downpipes? That's not helping our hobby....

Definitely doesn't help, but I guess I'm not helping either with a 3" exhaust system. I do have a catted dp, vibrant resonator on my Borla s type. I'm trying to keep the noise level reasonably low as I can. I don't have pops and bangs...don't need the attention, just want some nice good flow.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
So as far as I can tell, nothings actually changed as far as the laws are concerned.

They just upped the fine

Just some sabre rattling by our new psychotic interim governor.

We dont usually get hassled to much upstate unless you're already getting nabbed for something more serious or you're blatantly being a dick and scaring old ladies.

Right! I did some more research and saw NYS had these laws for a while now. Even saw a post about a guy with a BMW revving hard in front of a cop and all the cop said over the loudspeaker was, "shut up, idiot!"
Living in Orange county, NY, the cops really don't bother you unless you're being stupid. I usually take it easy on back roads and neighborhoods not to bother anybody.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
People who modify cars are in the extreme minority.

Unfortunately, some of these people are so obnoxious, dangerous, or just plain stupid that they ruin it for the rest.

It's not even the politicians to blame. It's the coal rollers and the pop and bang kidz that bring constant negative attention to the hobby. Realistically, modding cars -only- gets bad publicity. It doesn't matter how many business opportunities aren't created or how many jobs would be lost by seeing a decline in the industry. None of that matters when you have people in every town complaining about the cars being noisy or you get one stupid (young) person who ends up dead from racing on the highway.

People who mod cars don't have a lobby. They're just going to keep taking from us until there's nothing left to score political points with.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't think modding cars will ever end. The industry makes too much money and there are way too many people that mod there cars to keep it going.
You'll be modding electric cars because that's all there will be. I doubt there will be any ICE cars after 2030.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
People who modify cars are in the extreme minority.

Unfortunately, some of these people are so obnoxious, dangerous, or just plain stupid that they ruin it for the rest.

It's not even the politicians to blame. It's the coal rollers and the pop and bang kidz that bring constant negative attention to the hobby.

^This. 100%.

But it's not just kids. 50-60yr old one street over bought a C8 back in May. Looks great, sounded great. June comes around and he's got a new exhaust. Now he's flying up and down MY street doing around 80mph before he lets off and blaps the 1/4 mile down to the stop sign. From the fumes, I'm guessing he's catless now. In any case, it's now so loud and sharp that it hurts my ears INSIDE MY OWN HOME WITH THE WINDOWS CLOSED and I have have 20%/40% hearing loss from a few years working as a DJ and weekend weapons fire w/o earplugs.
Add to that, not only is the usual speed limit 25 for residential streets, there's a pre-K/K & park, a daycare in the middle and disabled childrens home (mostly cerebral palsey) on the other end.

That's the worst offender, but there are about a dozen others that use my street since it's connects theirs w/ a major artery that goes to the freeway. It's gotten so bad that my neighbors tried to petition for speed humps to be put in but the public works office denied it. I know that at least one person has called the cops on the C8 when he's flying up and down the street continuously for no real reason while kids are playing outside.

Sorry for the rant. It's annoying when the idiots ruin things for everyone else.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
^This. 100%.

But it's not just kids. 50-60yr old one street over bought a C8 back in May. Looks great, sounded great. June comes around and he's got a new exhaust. Now he's flying up and down MY street doing around 80mph before he lets off and blaps the 1/4 mile down to the stop sign. From the fumes, I'm guessing he's catless now. In any case, it's now so loud and sharp that it hurts my ears INSIDE MY OWN HOME WITH THE WINDOWS CLOSED and I have have 20%/40% hearing loss from a few years working as a DJ and weekend weapons fire w/o earplugs.
Add to that, not only is the usual speed limit 25 for residential streets, there's a pre-K/K & park, a daycare in the middle and disabled childrens home (mostly cerebral palsey) on the other end.

That's the worst offender, but there are about a dozen others that use my street since it's connects theirs w/ a major artery that goes to the freeway. It's gotten so bad that my neighbors tried to petition for speed humps to be put in but the public works office denied it. I know that at least one person has called the cops on the C8 when he's flying up and down the street continuously for no real reason while kids are playing outside.

Sorry for the rant. It's annoying when the idiots ruin things for everyone else.

Sounds like mid life dickhead. Came across an older man driving a 5.0, obviously modded and gave no shits about revving it hard driving through a small town. Didn't expect that as I try to respect others around me, especially when driving through residential areas.