GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Considering the 2019 GTI took two years to fully sort the tune after a switching oils and changing the oil pump, I wouldn't touch a mk8 until 2024 at a minimum.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not a bad idea at all!
If I don't end up getting a MK8 of some flavor it will probably be a truck.
I'm out of garage space as it is...
Funny, I had been intending to get a Bronco, but we've seen how that's going. I miss rwd, but there's really nothing practical available, my kid's pretty much outgrown the 997.2 I should have bought years ago, the M3 is a terrifyingly ugly thing, the M2 has rear windows that won't go down so it's out for dog transit. I really don't know what I'd get as an only car, so it's back to play things and left to my own choices, I'd just build up a Caterham in the garage, but I know how that would fly with the spousal unit.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
For a car it was going to be a MK8, used M3/M2 or S4/S5 (sportback).
For a truck...I really have no idea. I'd love a Raptor just because, but those things are crazy expensive and it would literally just be a commuter car.
I also love the Bronco but do not need/want another SUV at the house. Already have an Atlas for that duty.
I have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old, so I need something somewhat practical still for the rare occasions I need to transport the kiddos. Otherwise I'd try to get a used Cayman or something.
I think you should definitely go for the Caterham hah.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Funny, I had been intending to get a Bronco, but we've seen how that's going. I miss rwd, but there's really nothing practical available, my kid's pretty much outgrown the 997.2 I should have bought years ago, the M3 is a terrifyingly ugly thing, the M2 has rear windows that won't go down so it's out for dog transit. I really don't know what I'd get as an only car, so it's back to play things and left to my own choices, I'd just build up a Caterham in the garage, but I know how that would fly with the spousal unit.
Is MT a requirement? How about an IS500? Or a CT4 Blackwing, if MT is a must?

I'm always looking at what's next, when I really shouldn't, but right now I just want to finish the GTI mods I have planned and pay it off. Then we'll see. I hope to get a Z/86/Miata after, but might have to settle for an M2/R/STI/GR Corolla if I need the practicality.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Is MT a requirement? How about an IS500? Or a CT4 Blackwing, if MT is a must?

I'm always looking at what's next, when I really shouldn't, but right now I just want to finish the GTI mods I have planned and pay it off. Then we'll see. I hope to get a Z/86/Miata after, but might have to settle for an M2/R/STI/GR Corolla if I need the practicality.
Yes, unfortunately for my choices, it has to be a manual. I drove the ATS-V and wanted to love it, but couldn't get past the cheap interior and the Dyson soundtrack. It sounds like they've fixed both. I may need to go drive the CT4 BW, good point. I'd also completely forgotten about the GR Corolla. The next round of Biermann's products from Hyundai's N Division is also really going to be good too. I'm also waiting for them to bring back the Brembo package on the 86/BRZ.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The presenter seemed to indicate that the one in the video was a lower trim level...or at least the radio was a "lower" option.
Honestly, I was in agreement with everyone over the lack of knobs big a big bummer.
Then I started to think how much I actually use the knobs. And the answer was never lol.
Seriously, I never use either knob. I just use steering wheel controls.
However I'm still not a fan of the overall lack of "actual" buttons. I am definitely not a fan of the haptic or just touch style buttons.
Seeing as how the NAR R will be a top of the line no other options sort of car...I doubt it will show up with buttons.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Honestly, I was in agreement with everyone over the lack of knobs big a big bummer.
Then I started to think how much I actually use the knobs. And the answer was never lol.
Seriously, I never use either knob. I just use steering wheel controls.
I agree on this part for the audio, but I do use the temperature dial all the time. Maybe I'm not the average consumer, but if they had to cut costs somewhere, I'd rather keep buttons and dials and ditch the dual zone crap. A golf is too small for zones to actually be effective and I never use them.
The new steering wheel controls aren't physical buttons anymore either, which kind of sucks.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I agree on this part for the audio, but I do use the temperature dial all the time. Maybe I'm not the average consumer, but if they had to cut costs somewhere, I'd rather keep buttons and dials and ditch the dual zone crap. A golf is too small for zones to actually be effective and I never use them.
The new steering wheel controls aren't physical buttons anymore either, which kind of sucks.

My Atlas has multi-climate and I just pretty much always leave it on "auto", sync the zones and adjust the temp (with a knob) as needed.
So even if the HVAC controls are knob-less, I could probably survive. But agree that a knob would probably be ideal.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My Atlas has multi-climate and I just pretty much always leave it on "auto", sync the zones and adjust the temp (with a knob) as needed.
So even if the HVAC controls are knob-less, I could probably survive. But agree that a knob would probably be ideal.
All of the cars we've had with auto, I just set it to 68 and leave it there year round. I'd be fine with it being pretty buried. I do agree that dual zone is silly in any car, but Wife 2.0 uses the same settings I do, so it's not really a fight.