GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[Q] Cylinder head cover removal

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
I have a small oil leak and need to re-seal the cylinder head cover.
I was reading through the service manual and came away with a headache----
Per the manual I need to relieve the tension on the cam chain before I remove the cover.
** This would involve removing and replacing the lower cam chain cover---some $240
** Removing the harmonic dampener-- need a $150 VW tool for this
** locking the cams in place with some $120 of VW tools
** AND a whole bunch of other things to do.....
So here's the question---
Is there an easier method to do this......NO laughing now.
Has anyone done this??????
I found a YOUTUBE video on a cover reseal on a MK VI---that gentleman simply got the timing mark on the Harmonic dampener lined up plus cylinder 1 at TDC then simply removed the cover after getting ALL of the items atop the cover out of the way--HPFP, coils, PCV plumbing...
Guidance here would be appreciated.
BTW-It's a 2015 GTI-S 6-speed

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I would just top off as necessary. I have a slow leak somewhere and just put in 1/4 quart every 6 months when the light comes on. I replaced a bunch of parts (oil cap, PCV, etc…) and still have a slow leak somewhere (probably the rear main seal in the transmission). If the GTI is not leaking somewhere something is wrong.

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It's not an easy fix so unless you are a highly skilled mechanic, I would take it in to a VW/Audi indy shop and watching these YouTube videos doesn't help. My mechanic laughs every time he hears a customer tell him that they don't know what went wrong because they followed the YouTube instructions.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Follow-up--
Well the small oil leak turned out to be a coolant leak....
I was using the car the other day and at a stop I noticed white smoke wafting over the hood---I pulled over stuck my nose down at the rear of the engine an saw what was a leak dripping onto the turbo---dripping and boiling away.
Got the car home, let it cool, and found that the small plastic fitting mounted to the rear of the head, just above the turbo, off the rear coolant pipe was not sealing--Jumped in the Audi and off to my local VW stealership for a replacement fitting with O-Ring (pn 06K 121 143)---some $9
So that small oil leak turned out to be a small coolant leak that got a bit larger real quick.
Could you imagine how stupid I would have felt had I gone through the trouble of securing the necessary tools and preformed a resealing of the cover----DAMN.
REAL easy fix---(1) T30 bolt, two hose clamps and done.
The original fitting had a crack at the flange down to the o-ring groove.
Live and learn....

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I pulled over stuck my nose down at the rear of the engine an saw what was a leak dripping onto the turbo---dripping and boiling away.
Got the car home, let it cool, and found that the small plastic fitting mounted to the rear of the head, just above the turbo, off the rear coolant pipe was not sealing--Jumped in the Audi and off to my local VW stealership for a replacement fitting with O-Ring (pn 06K 121 143)---some $9
So that small oil leak turned out to be a small coolant leak that got a bit larger real quick.
Pretty sure the same thing is leaking on mine. Thanks

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Wavy

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI SE
If it's the cam girdle it is not as hard as it appears as long as you know how to follow steps. I resealed my call girdle with no special tools. Just make sure you follow the service manual for tightening the bolts and do not use a 3/8 torque wrench for it either. I used a YouTube video from a mk6 i believe for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_205759_01.jpg
    IMG_20210204_205759_01.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20210203_015857560.jpg
    PXL_20210203_015857560.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 80

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Might want to "upgrade" to the billet aluminum adapter by Emmanuele Design. Searching your part number looks like the same one. Couple threads to read.

e the same one. Couple threads to read.
THANKS for the heads-up!
JUST ordered one
FYI- my GTI had only 58,000 miles of use when this issue cropped up.
I have NO problems with using correctly engineered plastic components but the location of this fitting, so close to a hot turbo, begs for a "proper" metal fitting.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
May want to get a turbo blanket. Dunno about the "performance" benefits (500rpm faster spool) but it definitely keeps the heat contained to the turbo and has less radiating heat. Garage dad scientist tests. MK7 forum review.
*Disclaimer* I only put the top portion of the blanket on, too lazy to get under the car to put the bottom portion on. Its more of a turbo hat.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Follow-up--
Well the small oil leak turned out to be a coolant leak....
I was using the car the other day and at a stop I noticed white smoke wafting over the hood---I pulled over stuck my nose down at the rear of the engine an saw what was a leak dripping onto the turbo---dripping and boiling away.
Could you imagine how stupid I would have felt had I gone through the trouble of securing the necessary tools and preformed a resealing of the cover----DAMN.
REAL easy fix---(1) T30 bolt, two hose clamps and done.
The original fitting had a crack at the flange down to the o-ring groove.
Live and learn....
GTI Jake has some metal ones for sale I think