GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
The fact that your last set of tires had the same issue implies it could be an issue with the wheels, but it is strange that it's all 4. Did the same shop do both sets of tires?

If you rule out install error, start checking the wheels for hairline cracks at both the seating edges and the barrel. Are they OEM wheels?
this...I am thinking either tech didn't seat stems correctly or a bad batch. Did you check to see if the Schrader vales are tight?

KTinSD

Car(s)
2021 Golf
New forum member here. I recently purchased the last regular new 2021 Golf left in California. There was only one well equipped trim level for 2021 but it looks like VW decided to delete the rear console vent from the specs as a cost savings. The kidlets immediately complained of a lack of AC in the backseat so I have started to investigate how to retrofit the console ductwork. I forum search didn't turn up much information but maybe I didn't try the right search terms. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. A link to the appropriate VW parts diagram might be a good start.

BTW Ace92028, California requires a smog every 2 years from first registration except at the first 2 year mark for a new car. Assuming your GTI was purchased in purchased in September 2021 the next smog will be due in September 2023. It is your car & you can do what you want to but if it were me I'd stick with only CARB compliant mods. I will save you a lot of hassles later on.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
New forum member here. I recently purchased the last regular new 2021 Golf left in California. There was only one well equipped trim level for 2021 but it looks like VW decided to delete the rear console vent from the specs as a cost savings. The kidlets immediately complained of a lack of AC in the backseat so I have started to investigate how to retrofit the console ductwork. I forum search didn't turn up much information but maybe I didn't try the right search terms. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. A link to the appropriate VW parts diagram might be a good start.

BTW Ace92028, California requires a smog every 2 years from first registration except at the first 2 year mark for a new car. Assuming your GTI was purchased in purchased in September 2021 the next smog will be due in September 2023. It is your car & you can do what you want to but if it were me I'd stick with only CARB compliant mods. I will save you a lot of hassles later on.
Haven't seen anything on rear AC retrofit, just Rear USB jack retrofit. I've got the erwin guides for the Golf/GTI/R so I'll see if I can find you a diagram on the ducting and such.

As to your smog comment, we have 8 year smog abatement on new cars. so 8 years from date of purchase is first smog for cars newer than 2010 I think.

Edit: Not finding much. I find the front console removal that mentions the duct, but the shifter removal doesn't mention the ducting that runs to the armrest at all. I'll see what the dash removal says on ducting.

Last edited:

KTinSD

Car(s)
2021 Golf
Haven't seen anything on rear AC retrofit, just Rear USB jack retrofit. I've got the erwin guides for the Golf/GTI/R so I'll see if I can find you a diagram on the ducting and such.

As to your smog comment, we have 8 year smog abatement on new cars. so 8 years from date of purchase is first smog for cars newer than 2010 I think.

Edit: Not finding much. I find the front console removal that mentions the duct, but the shifter removal doesn't mention the ducting that runs to the armrest at all. I'll see what the dash removal says on ducting.

I did find this image which shows the routing of the duct. I was happy to see that the duct is compatible with the mechanical e brake as I had been wondering if that was the differentiator. So the real question is how the duct connects to the rest of the system.
Will anyone that has the rear duct let me know if there is any difference in the vent controls. In other words does the rear vent have its own control?

Attachments

• exposed duct.jpg
    exposed duct.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 67

cb1111

Which model did you buy? I was under the impression that they all had the rear vent.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Who has been chewing on your vent flow adjustment knob? You might want to get that fixed under warranty.
I must have raked something across it. IDK, I never sit back there LOL. It looks like I could fix it with a razor blade in about 1 second.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I did find this image which shows the routing of the duct. I was happy to see that the duct is compatible with the mechanical e brake as I had been wondering if that was the differentiator. So the real question is how the duct connects to the rest of the system.
Will anyone that has the rear duct let me know if there is any difference in the vent controls. In other words does the rear vent have its own control?
It ties into the "floor" option on the adjustment knob I believe. I didn't drive the GTI today to verify but I'm 90% sure that the rear vents are "active" when set to the floor setting

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
It ties into the "floor" option on the adjustment knob I believe. I didn't drive the GTI today to verify but I'm 90% sure that the rear vents are "active" when set to the floor setting
There are ducts under the seats as well, right on the floor itself. I would have expected the console vents, then, to be connected to the same "circuit" as the dash vents, especially since they have the same sort of flow adjuster. But I don't know for sure; never tested it, honestly, so I don't mean to introduce confusion!

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Does anyone know the part number for the dogbone mount bolt? I want to get a new one before I install the powerflex puck

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S