GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EventhorizoN VW GTI S build

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Really disappointing my HS Tuning RSR Clutch failed on my second track day.. It's not holding power after 4k rpm with hard rev's, just purchased the Southbend stage 3 daily clutch, and will see how that holds up. The HS Tuning Clutch is great for street driving but do not recommend it for racing.
You really should have looked into SPEC for your clutch. SB are, in my opinion, overpriced for a decent clutch.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You really should have looked into SPEC for your clutch. SB are, in my opinion, overpriced for a decent clutch.
Nah - it's better than decent. You don't see too many people writing about how it failed or slipped, for stage 3 and up that is. Few people wanna save a couple of hundred bucks and end up going for the stage 2 - that's where the issues happen. Stage 3 is best bro - holds like hooker behind harvey's, makes a noise that makes you feel like a kid playing with a bucket of legos, pretty and red. I absolutely love mine. Feel, engagement, clamping, all of it. Great choice, in my opinion.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Nah - it's better than decent. You don't see too many people writing about how it failed or slipped, for stage 3 and up that is. Few people wanna save a couple of hundred bucks and end up going for the stage 2 - that's where the issues happen. Stage 3 is best bro - holds like hooker behind harvey's, makes a noise that makes you feel like a kid playing with a bucket of legos, pretty and red. I absolutely love mine. Feel, engagement, clamping, all of it. Great choice, in my opinion.
So for your SB stage 3, I'm guessing you easily spent over $2K for it and how much torque is it rated to handle?

For my SPEC clutch, I spent $1517 and it's rated to handle 800 ft/lbs of torque and it's a drag racing clutch so you know it's going to have outstanding grip, which it does. It's not very daily driving friendly so it took some time getting used to it but racing from a dig, this clutch is amazing! Now I'm worried about snapping my front axels in half.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So for your SB stage 3, I'm guessing you easily spent over $2K for it and how much torque is it rated to handle?

For my SPEC clutch, I spent $1517 and it's rated to handle 800 ft/lbs of torque and it's a drag racing clutch so you know it's going to have outstanding grip, which it does. It's not very daily driving friendly so it took some time getting used to it but racing from a dig, this clutch is amazing! Now I'm worried about snapping my front axels in half.
It's not apples to apples man - it handles 500 lbfts. It may not be sufficient for your build, but it is perfectly fine for most hybrid builds with great reliability and daily performance. I paid $2100 CAD, so around $1700USD.

I'm glad you are happy with your clutch, but your clutch is very very specific for what YOU are trying to do.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I like my ACT clutch, rated to 550 but seems like it could handle more.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It's not apples to apples man - it handles 500 lbfts. It may not be sufficient for your build, but it is perfectly fine for most hybrid builds with great reliability and daily performance. I paid $2100 CAD, so around $1700USD.

I'm glad you are happy with your clutch, but your clutch is very very specific for what YOU are trying to do.
You're correct! I chose my clutch specifically for 1/4 mile racing so I needed a clutch just for that and that can handle the power.

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Thank you all so much for your responses. I think the SB stage 3 daily should be way more than enough since my Torque levels are near or around 480-500. I'm not tracking my car that often, only a handful of times a year during boost season. I think I might have pushed it too hard last time, I did a lot of hot laps in on session a total of 5. The brakes did really well, and never faded. Love the AP's. I'll give everyone a review of the SB S3 clutch once it's installed, getting it mounted in a few days. All the best. J

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
What offset are the wheels? Ive been trying hard to find 18x8.5 in 5x112 Advan wheels in the states ://///

18x8.5 / 5x112 / 45mm Offset​

They're no longer available in the states even on special order you'll be waiting for up to a year. TE-37 volks, Advan GT's and TC-4 they're almost impossible to get now.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

They're no longer available in the states even on special order you'll be waiting for up to a year. TE-37 volks, Advan GT's and TC-4 they're almost impossible to get now.

Completely unrelated to that statement... Do you by chance run wheel locks? Asking for a friend

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020

Thanks for the reply! Yeah im tryna source anything Advan in silver and its tough right now. The new supra being 5x112 most retailers just carry 19" ://///

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the reply! Yeah im tryna source anything Advan in silver and its tough right now. The new supra being 5x112 most retailers just carry 19" ://///
For sure man! That's correct, 19" is much easier to source. I'm more of an 18" guy myself.