GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting older. Maybe towing soon. Atlanta roads suck. Considering going back to stock-ish.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey all,

I've been reading a ton of threads lately and it's just getting overwhelming at this point. So, I figured I'd muddy the waters more and just make my own.

Currently on EMD springs and stock shocks and struts. Have been on this for about the past 45k. Stock units are definitely on their way out and need replaced, but with my plans of pulling a small, 5x7' or 5x8' trailer soon to get back into some motocross, I figured it might not be bad to add a little ride height. Race track driveways aren't known to be the smoothest dirt roads out there.

Thinking I'd like to go with something Bilstein for shocks and struts and possibly either DriverGear or H&R OE springs. Bilstein offerings in that range seem to be B4 or B6 (no DCC here to worry about). I do have my stock springs, but I'd rather not go back to a full 4x4 stance, so a mild sub-1" drop is preferred. No track use. Rarely drive sporty anymore, so Pothole City, USA compliance would be preferred.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bumping this back up.

Also considering changing over to a 17" wheel and a maybe like a 225/45 17 tire to see if that helps as well.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I run 17s and it made a dramatic difference.

I run 225/50/17. No issues with clearance. Stock R suspension.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I second going to 17s, smaller the better but due to brakes 17 is probably the smallest. Less chance of bending or breaking a rim too on crap roads, main reason why I won't upsize to 18" wheels.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I really do like my current stance, which is making this harder to deal with haha. The EMD springs have been great, but I know that @Hammersticks recommends the Koni Sports/Yellows with them because they're a softer spring. The Koni being a more firm and sportier feel may not be the right direction.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
OP Heres the BBS in 17" w/ 225/50.

This is as much meat as you can get under there and also as small as you go can go w/ rims. Theres about 5mm of clearance with the R brakes.

Attachments

• BBS R.jpeg
    BBS R.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 99

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
OP Heres the BBS in 17" w/ 225/50.

This is as much meat as you can get under there and also as small as you go can go w/ rims. Theres about 5mm of clearance with the R brakes.
Damn, that's a lot of tire haha. Love it.

Thinking about replacing these clapped out stock shocks and struts with Koni Special Active (FSD), putting the stock springs back on, and going to a 17" wheel like this. Maybe not quite a 50 sidewall, but 225/45.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Damn, that's a lot of tire haha. Love it.

Thinking about replacing these clapped out stock shocks and struts with Koni Special Active (FSD), putting the stock springs back on, and going to a 17" wheel like this. Maybe not quite a 50 sidewall, but 225/45.
I track my car on re11’s 17x8.5 with 245/45. Great combo.

Last edited:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Some have recommended wheel/tire combo, probably to address the roads on which you expect to drive. Regarding the towing aspect of your question, if you plan to stay within an inch of factory ride height, I think you'll be fine with the trailer if you manage your tongue weight appropriately. The GTI's payload, that which is carried by the car itself, is ~1000 lbs including any weight you place on the tongue (see your door placard for specifics). Let's assume your trailer and bike(s) weight about 1000 lbs, that should mean about 100 lbs on the hitch, maybe 150 lbs if you like it heavier. Consider that to be weight in your trunk. If you need to transport cargo in addition to the tow, put anything more than an overnight bag in the trailer to keep the extra weight off the rear suspension. And, of course, you may need to traverse uneven driveways or terrain at an angle. I hope this helps.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Hey Adam, I can’t remember how close you are to Newnan, but I have some time tomorrow morning if you want to check out how the H&R OE springs look in person.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Some have recommended wheel/tire combo, probably to address the roads on which you expect to drive. Regarding the towing aspect of your question, if you plan to stay within an inch of factory ride height, I think you'll be fine with the trailer if you manage your tongue weight appropriately. The GTI's payload, that which is carried by the car itself, is ~1000 lbs including any weight you place on the tongue (see your door placard for specifics). Let's assume your trailer and bike(s) weight about 1000 lbs, that should mean about 100 lbs on the hitch, maybe 150 lbs if you like it heavier. Consider that to be weight in your trunk. If you need to transport cargo in addition to the tow, put anything more than an overnight bag in the trailer to keep the extra weight off the rear suspension. And, of course, you may need to traverse uneven driveways or terrain at an angle. I hope this helps.
Thanks, Scott. Helpful as always!
Hey Adam, I can’t remember how close you are to Newnan, but I have some time tomorrow morning if you want to check out how the H&R OE springs look in person.
I'm about an hour away. I think I've decided to just go back to stock springs though and go with the Koni Special Actives for shocks and struts. That will be phase 1 of the plan. Phase two will be 17" wheels and tires when my current tires are worn. Going away from OEM+ and back to OEM-ish haha.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Thanks, Scott. Helpful as always!

I'm about an hour away. I think I've decided to just go back to stock springs though and go with the Koni Special Actives for shocks and struts. That will be phase 1 of the plan. Phase two will be 17" wheels and tires when my current tires are worn. Going away from OEM+ and back to OEM-ish haha.
I just drove up I-285. Bro, you don’t need OE suspension, you need Humvee suspension. Atlanta roads suuuuck!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just drove up I-285. Bro, you don’t need OE suspension, you need Humvee suspension. Atlanta roads suuuuck!
Yeah, I'm really surprised I haven't broken something yet. Definitely have a slight bend in at least two of my Laguna wheels though haha.

And oddly enough, I commute into one of the more affluent areas for work every day (Buckhead), and their back roads are some of the worst.