GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is bad decision to change halogen headlights with helix

Mk7 2k15 owner

Car(s)
VW Golf 7
I have VW golf mk7 with halogen headlights i want to change them with helix headlights but im not sure about that because i read some comments that they dont work after some months properly

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have VW golf mk7 with halogen headlights i want to change them with helix headlights but im not sure about that because i read some comments that they dont work after some months properly

Helix is pretty decent but if you’re at all concerned about overall build quality, and are willing to pony up an extra $300/400, Osram produces plug and play headlight upgrades for halogen equipped MK7s that are very, very high quality. Osram is an OEM, where Helix is a small aftermarket company that doesn’t do its own manufacturing in-house, they have a supplier in China. Osram makes their own shit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Helix is pretty decent but if you’re at all concerned about overall build quality, and are willing to pony up an extra $300/400, Osram produces plug and play headlight upgrades for halogen equipped MK7s that are very, very high quality. Osram is an OEM, where Helix is a small aftermarket company that doesn’t do its own manufacturing in-house, they have a supplier in China. Osram makes their own shit.
And the gist of that story is Osram's shit is better than Helix shit. 😂

cblock406

Ready to race!
Osram is the answer, or it was for me. Been just about a year and really like them.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Almost 2 years on mine too, no issues and still look new thanks to using the WeatherTech headlight film on them. Had a few issues with condensation directly after install but cleared up shortly after and hasn't been back.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
My understanding is that the inner light is not used. The outer light does both low and high beams.
Also, separate power needs to be run from the battery or other source.
What is a good price for the Mk7.5 version delivered to US and from which site?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes, there is a separate power line from each headlight that goes to the battery (each has an in-line fuse). I ran them to the engine fuse box and attached to the terminals at the bottom, they come straight from the battery. You could also go straight to the battery but you'll have to figure out how to attach to that larger terminal.

Only seen a few posts about the 7.5 versions, and don't remember seeing much on pricing. The original long thread is here.

You'll probably just want to email support for a couple sites and get a feel for them. On most of the sites you'll subtract VAT, but then figure adding ~$150 back on for shipping, unless they'll ship slow boat. For something this expensive from overseas I tend to go with express shipping so that it has good tracking. You'll probably have to pay duty when you get them as well, for me it was something like $75, DHL sent me that invoice after they got to the local office but before they let me schedule a delivery/pickup. I would figure somewhere around $1,000 all in.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
My understanding is that the inner light is not used. The outer light does both low and high beams.
Also, separate power needs to be run from the battery or other source.
What is a good price for the Mk7.5 version delivered to US and from which site?
IIRC you can get Ed's reps (produced by Vacar) on AliExpress or similar for a decent price, it's a shame they're no longer offering them or they'd be my recommendation 100%. Only issue you MAY run into is if you have inspections, you might not be able to pass with them due to them not being DOT stamped, but that's about it. If you've got a friend who can inspect, that's the way to go -- the light output is significantly improved over the stock halogens, and they're not terribly expensive. They're also available in GTI or R flavor, depending on your opinion of the red stripe. I've considered making modifications to my vehicle all around to accommodate the necessity for an amber 'corner light' (integrated into the OEM lights) per inspection, which would likely allow me to pass inspection without issue.