GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I switched to Brisk ER10S plugs after I couldn’t find the NGK Racing plugs in the correct heat range. They seem to perform fine and they haven’t opened up as much as the last set of Brisks I had did. I gapped these down to .024 originally and they’ve stayed there after 2500 miles.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The EQT page is full of spark plug posts now and it's bled to other MQB pages with folks saying to steer clear of the NGK "RS7s". How hard is it to gap an install spark plugs correctly? The NGKs are factory plugs and should and do work perfectly for so many folks (including me). They come gapped per several sets I've had and measured at 0.026". I just can't believe there will be any meaningful difference in performance with by closing that gap down by 0.02" but it's so minor it shouldn't take much effort or force with the gapping tool.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
The EQT page is full of spark plug posts now and it's bled to other MQB pages with folks saying to steer clear of the NGK "RS7s". How hard is it to gap an install spark plugs correctly? The NGKs are factory plugs and should and do work perfectly for so many folks (including me). They come gapped per several sets I've had and measured at 0.026". I just can't believe there will be any meaningful difference in performance with by closing that gap down by 0.02" but it's so minor it shouldn't take much effort or force with the gapping tool.
I've ran all of my RS7 plugs at stock gap. No spark blowout, so I have had no reason to mess with it. Not sure if laziness or if it ain't broke don't fix it lol. This is with a vortex on 91/E85 in the 450whp range. So nothing crazy on the spectrum, but a decent bit of powah.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've ran all of my RS7 plugs at stock gap. No spark blowout, so I have had no reason to mess with it. Not sure if laziness or if it ain't broke don't fix it lol. This is with a vortex on 91/E85 in the 450whp range. So nothing crazy on the spectrum, but a decent bit of powah.
I don't mess with the gap either - stock gap on these always worked. Stock gap on Ruths works (0.028").

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Same. Been running the RS7 plugs for 80k miles (not the same ones) with no issues. Change out at 20k miles. measured the gap at 0.026 and just keep it there.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
More people blowing motors with NGK RS7 plugs on the EQT page… wtf is going on?

I'll admit the influx of posts here and on FB of the electrodes on the RS7 breaking off has got me a little spooked about running them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'll admit the influx of posts here and on FB of the electrodes on the RS7 breaking off has got me a little spooked about running them.
The same thing happened a few years go with the Beru version of that plug (side fire). I'll be on user error as well.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Set gaps and installed my Ruths yesterday, my old RS7s probably should have been replaced 10k miles ago.

Noticeable smoother idle, especially after cold start. I also definitely regained some lost HP so much so I was actually surprised by the difference. @Diggs24 How often will you change out your Ruths? They advertise longer life, I'll probably pull them ever 10k and check the gap.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Maybe, but some Cobb data is showing otherwise. I didn’t gain power since tuned, but worn plugs can COST you power which new plugs recover. Otherwise why replace every 10k miles?
Would love to see that data. Plugs are either working properly or they're not. They are replaced every 10k when tuned because the extra heat created by the extra load can cause premature failure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Set gaps and installed my Ruths yesterday, my old RS7s probably should have been replaced 10k miles ago.

Noticeable smoother idle, especially after cold start. I also definitely regained some lost HP so much so I was actually surprised by the difference. @Diggs24 How often will you change out your Ruths? They advertise longer life, I'll probably pull them ever 10k and check the gap.
I change my Ruth's every 15k hybrid turbo, FBO etc. Gap 024. You'll always feel a difference with fresh plugs installed. Even the Denso's I once installed felt better initially but didnt last long.