GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
FWIW- I’m partial to Swift Springs. In all the time I’ve swopped out Swift Springs they do not sag or change in length.

Ordered. You're a life saver, I was seeing stupid high prices.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Yes. CSF radiator. It was not sufficient for my APR Stg1 on the IS20.
The IS38 will tax cooling even more.

With the ECU controlling target water temps with the electronic thermostat. I’m curious where that is set at factory and whether it can be adjusted a little lower for the track.

I was told EQT does this with their tunes. The cooling systems kicks into max speed at lower temps to try and stave off overheating for longer. Last guy I tracked with had EQT Stage 1 on his GTI, said it seemed to help keep the car cooler, but he didn't have a ton of track experience.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was told EQT does this with their tunes. The cooling systems kicks into max speed at lower temps to try and stave off overheating for longer. Last guy I tracked with had EQT Stage 1 on his GTI, said it seemed to help keep the car cooler, but he didn't have a ton of track experience.
I don't know about on the track but I can tell you that my EQT tune kept both coolant and oil temps 10-15* cooler then before the tune on the street.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Based on my experience with APR, I’m assuming they have not made any adjustments to the cooling algorithm. The water pump is belt driven so as rpm increase so does water volume/impeller speed. Not sure if there is a valve which restricts or opens up water flow based on target coolant temp.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Based on my experience with APR, I’m assuming they have not made any adjustments to the cooling algorithm. The water pump is belt driven so as rpm increase so does water volume/impeller speed. Not sure if there is a valve which restricts or opens up water flow based on target coolant temp.
Our cars do indeed have a digital thermostat. The car's ECU has target temperature vs rpm vs engine load table which it uses to control it.

Changing these tables won't solve overheating, as that is a function of the heat load capacity of the system. It will at best, delay it (lower starting point) but ultimately won't change the inevitable (heatsoak). Now that said that might be enough (extra few minutes) to eek out a few extra laps at full power, and maybe some other benefits from reliablity standpoint (keeping more conistent temp)

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I agree that it will not avoid the car overheating on track. It may buy one more lap.

One of the reasons why I decided to do both the oil cooler and aux radiator at the same time. 25-30min sessions on track. Something else I realized is that the R-Bumper has way better air flow than the GTi.
Im also curious whether the vented lower wheel liner dumps air onto the RS3 brake ducts?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The wagon is all ready for the Novemenber final HPDE for the Audi Club at VIR. Hoping to have more fun this year now that I know what to expect and most of all....won't be worried about my brakes!

20210925_110034.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I will be heading to VIR this weekend. Brakes can make or break a track weekend. You have a great setup there.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
A quick cooling system update. Im seeing 194-198 on the highway whereas before it was in the 217-221F range. Not sure what that will translate to on track. I’ll be happy if I can keep things under 260F.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The 7” rear spring fixed my rear ride height issue.
8D61060E-0005-4C92-AFD7-3FC251554453.jpeg
72AC3DE9-36B1-4FEB-9878-B4602AAC53B7.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
A quick cooling system update. Im seeing 194-198 on the highway whereas before it was in the 217-221F range. Not sure what that will translate to on track. I’ll be happy if I can keep things under 260F.
First day completed at VIR.
Oil temps in the morning were 232F.
Ambient temps topped out at 84F. I ran the AC for shits and grins and temps topped out at 252F. From the end of the session to my garage ( back straight and roller coaster) the oil temp dropped to 230F.
I did see water temps climb to 230F but the would drop quickly to 194-200.
Cooling mods worked!

I have a fluttering boost issue Down the straights in 4th gear. 27 to 31 psi and then back again. Wondering if I have a boost leak somewhere?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Great to hear the cooling mods helped. Today was unusually warm, so good day to test it out.
As far as the boost flutter issue, is it happening at a specific RPM or the entire range. I’ve seen boost flutter issues when there’s a lean condition on the top end. Any way to run logs on track?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
First day completed at VIR.
Oil temps in the morning were 232F.
Ambient temps topped out at 84F. I ran the AC for shits and grins and temps topped out at 252F. From the end of the session to my garage ( back straight and roller coaster) the oil temp dropped to 230F.
I did see water temps climb to 230F but the would drop quickly to 194-200.
Cooling mods worked!

I have a fluttering boost issue Down the straights in 4th gear. 27 to 31 psi and then back again. Wondering if I have a boost leak somewhere?
I’ve had fluttering boost in 4th before, using a JB4 on map 1. For me it is fueling issue. ECU running rich to try and cool down temps and just running out of room.