GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 + JB4 & Warranty

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Hey all,

So, I got my wagon and suddenly my feet are cold with the mods.

It might be because I have belt chirping from my timing cover/crank pulley and my gas pedal vibrates a little (I actually think my tires are just shit, contis and new 18's to come). Dealer investigated, said my tires weren't balanced.... Balanced them and it still has issues.

I need more power, considering a IS20 with JB4. I am concerned about the 72k warranty, I have 25k on my car.

I don't have high expectations, but I'm wondering if anyone is running this and able to get warranty work without. TD1. I understand with further investigation I would get flagged.

Reason I ask this is I was denied a fuel pump despite them failing all the time on my MK6 GTi because I was Stage 2 and I am forever salty.

I'm thinking this could be a soft solution for my need for some more power and ability to get some things fixed that don't require major investigation. (Water/fuel pump, this belt chirping issue, etc). But not sure if I'm deluding myself.

Thanks gents.

All of this said. I love this damn wagon.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
On the Mk7, I believe the TD1 is triggered only by flash count/scanning the ECU (though don't take my word for that, it's possible that the dealership could trigger it manually, but they would definitely need to retain sufficient proof to do so). A JB4 won't trigger TD1 because it doesn't touch the stock ECU, but you would definitely want to remove the JB4 before any warranty related dealer visit (or maybe any dealer visit depending on how evil the dealership is).

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah dude you can’t put “upgraded turbo” and “warranty” in the same sentence, regardless of whether you do it with a JB4 instead of flash tune. You’re much better off going with APR+ on the IS12. I love it on my Alltrack.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I just had a conversation with the local dealer, their master tech said he can't see a situation where I wouldn't get warranty work covered at his dealer even if I upgrade the turbo. Promising.

Also glad I didn't do anything to the car yet. Had some weird chirping from my passenger side, seems like it's a tensioner bearing or something. They're keeping it for minimum 2 more days, said worst case it's a new motor if they can find damage.

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I am in a similar boat. I just brought home a 2019 with only 13k miles and the remaining warranty was a big part of my decision. The problem is my previous GTI had a decent amount of mods and a very noticeable difference in power, and I do miss that a bit.

I am taking it back in to replace a cracked front grill (broken pre-sale) as soon as the part arrives. At that time I am going to talk to the service manager and see if he can gives some definitive answers as to what can really be done and still be good on the warranty. At least as far as that dealership is concerned.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I realize you want guarantees but there just aren't any with this. A removed JB4 reduces this chance substantially. The visual difference of an IS20 vs. IS12 is min. and many techs won't look or care. Accept the min. risk and add some power or keep it stock if this warranty crap worries you. Nobody here can fix your concern. You can't modify a car and expect the manufacturer to guarantee it. TD1 is an automatic thing from their scan tool for modified ECUs...there is no manually adding TD1.

Last edited:

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I realize you want guarantees but there just aren't any with this. A removed JB4 reduces this chance substantially. The visual difference of an IS20 vs. IS12 is min. and many techs won't look or care. Accept the min. risk and add some power or keep it stock if this warranty crap worries you. Nobody here can fix your concern. You can't modify a car and expect the manufacturer to guarantee it. TD1 is an automatic thing from their scan tool for modified ECUs...there is no manually adding TD1.
I know there's no guarantees. Not asking for a fix just asking if anyone had done this specifically 👍

You never know sometimes you luck into something and someone has exactly the info you're looking for.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I just had a conversation with the local dealer, their master tech said he can't see a situation where I wouldn't get warranty work covered at his dealer even if I upgrade the turbo. Promising.

Also glad I didn't do anything to the car yet. Had some weird chirping from my passenger side, seems like it's a tensioner bearing or something. They're keeping it for minimum 2 more days, said worst case it's a new motor if they can find damage.
That is some grade A BS that tech fed you.

I 100% guarantee you're on you own after a turbo swap. 100%, not 99.4%, but 100% guarantee you will not get warranty work done on you drivetrain, except maybe the water pump.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I
I also wasn't aware that the scan tool couldn't pull up a change such as the IS20

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
That is some grade A BS that tech fed you.

I 100% guarantee you're on you own after a turbo swap. 100%, not 99.4%, but 100% guarantee you will not get warranty work done on you drivetrain, except maybe the water pump.
Maybe, there's a few guys out here who have cited warranty work from this guy despite their mods. He has a good reputation with the VW community out here and does a hell of a job on carbon cleans as well, plan to use him for that down the line

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Maybe, there's a few guys out here who have cited warranty work from this guy despite their mods. He has a good reputation with the VW community out here and does a hell of a job on carbon cleans as well, plan to use him for that down the line

The manufacturer approves claims. The dealer and tech can influence that decision, but if you aren't getting drive train work approved my VW with an upgraded turbo. If the tech and dealer are doing so, they risk massive consequences if VW finds out.

So again, water pump, sure. Transmission, engine, etc.... nope, 100% guarantee not getting covered under the normal warranty.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
The manufacturer approves claims. The dealer and tech can influence that decision, but if you aren't getting drive train work approved my VW with an upgraded turbo. If the tech and dealer are doing so, they risk massive consequences if VW finds out.

So again, water pump, sure. Transmission, engine, etc.... nope, 100% guarantee not getting covered under the normal warranty.
Yeah I'm not really hoping for motor work or trans work if that happens I think that's totally reasonable. It's just stuff like fuel and water pump like I said. Think I mentioned in OP I was given a super hard time about a fuel pump when I was tuned on my GTi and it was a failure in tons of MK6s, in fact every friend of mine with one had one go out. I'm just trying to avoid shit like that. The 1.8t seems like a capable motor, and the DSG has been proven to be a great transmission that can hold double the power I want to route through it.

I'm wanting reasonable warranty coverage on mostly unrelated items. I get nobody can say for sure. Just asked if anyone was running JB4 and a 20 without issues in regards to things that go out often on the car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Because it's all case by case. I'm IS38 FBO and had my SAI combi valve replaced under warranty. Again...no guarantees. There are lots of stories of turbos amd water pumps replaced under warranty while tuned. This doesn't mean much as your dealer may say no.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Because it's all case by case. I'm IS38 FBO and had my SAI combi valve replaced under warranty. Again...no guarantees. There are lots of stories of turbos amd water pumps replaced under warranty while tuned. This doesn't mean much as your dealer may say no.
Cool, that's promising! Out of curiosity have you had many issues with your car?

I'm so on edge with my new vehicle as they really didn't seem to inspect it much. Backwards mounted wiper, unbalanced wheels/tires, and timing cover crank pulley shit it's in for now don't leave me with a ton of confidence 😬 .

Only has 24k on the clock, dealer has me wondering if they ever changed the oil, or fluids.