GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
EQT's latest tunes also lower oil and water temps 10-15*.

I have mixed feeling on this and I'm not wrapping my head around why this is a good thing.

On the street, you really want your oil to stay in the 200 to 220 range. Even in Florida, mine are now hovering just below 200 on the new map.

On track, setting the targets lower isn't really going to stop oil temps from hitting 270+.

Not sure what to make of it. And this isn't an argument for or against the lower targets, just wondering if others have more knowledge in the area and can shed some light on the subject.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have mixed feeling on this and I'm not wrapping my head around why this is a good thing.

On the street, you really want your oil to stay in the 200 to 220 range. Even in Florida, mine are now hovering just below 200 on the new map.

On track, setting the targets lower isn't really going to stop oil temps from hitting 270+.

Not sure what to make of it. And this isn't an argument for or against the lower targets, just wondering if others have more knowledge in the area and can shed some light on the subject.
I was concerned about it burning off condensation but there has been no condensation in my OCC. Of course the weather hasn't been cold enough to produce much condensation. I can't remember what thread it was that Ed talked about that and explained why it isn't a problem.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks -- I'm looking pretty firmly at EQT's stage 1 tune, I don't track the car but it's good to have an idea of what the 'calm down before the oil gets unhappy' range is like.

I'm also planning to ride out the stock clutch, I really don't ever do hard launches and I'm hopeful to mainly use the additional power in 3rd/4th on the highway, but otherwise continue to drive it like a normal human. At least til the clutch starts to go 😉

EQT is a great option, and by far the post popular these days.

As for the clutch I’ll save myself some typing since I took the time to shoot a video on it.

Also have one on tuning, but you’ve already made a wise choice there.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
EQT is a great option, and by far the post popular these days.

As for the clutch I’ll save myself some typing since I took the time to shoot a video on it.

Also have one on tuning, but you’ve already made a wise choice there.
Thanks, from one Jake to another! I definitely learned some things about the break-in process, and having the options lined out for my eventual/inevitable upgrade is excellent.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Honestly, if I could have gotten it by this Friday*, I would have bought it. But the entire reason I already am where I am, is because I don't have patience. Hardware wise, everything will be here by Friday. As long as I get that base EQT map by Friday, this turbo is going in this Saturday...

Edit: *Without paying a bajillion dollars for shipping.

Second edit: I am going to pick up a spare plastic one from the dealer in case it breaks while doing the swap. For only $4.50, would rather have it on hand.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Godspeed brother - kill the install. I'm rooting for you. Despite your cat avatar.
Animal people > not animal people. Cats vs dogs is just semantics. (Coming from someone who likes both).

Thread related, it's far better to have the tools and not need them, rather than need the tools and not have them. My wife has been taking back all sorts of grief she used to give me about buying tools, now that her car's the one getting work done 😂

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Godspeed brother - kill the install. I'm rooting for you. Despite your cat avatar.

I just like the meme. I actually despise cats. They're useless. Sorry, cat people.

Dog person for life.

1634148043309.png