GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger side buzzing/vibration at 1100-1500 RPM

tactical_borscht

Car(s)
2019 GTI Mk 7.5
My GTI has this buzzing/vibrating noise coming from the passenger side of the cabin at around 1100-1500 RPM, when I let off the accelerator pedal. Super annoying and very sporadic, it's been driving me insane. It feels like the noise is coming from inside the B pillar on the passenger side. I removed the top plastic trim but couldn't find anything in there that could cause a vibration like that.

I also checked some of the common noise inducers: mirrors in the sun visor, center console, I peeked under the seat – I can't find anything.

Could that be the fuel line rattle? It really doesn't sound like it's coming from under the floor, I'm 70% it's originating from the cabin.

Audio recording of the vibration:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Aren't there some threads regarding a loose fuel line on that side of the car that might need a rubber bumper to get it to stop rattling against the firewall or something?

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Hi and welcome to the forum.

This sounds exactly like mine did before I “fixed“ it with a little help from someone on here. It sounded just like that when I let off the accelerator and it was driving me crazy too. Definitely sounds like it’s coming from inside the car, but it was definitely coming from the fuel line.

Best way to check it is to find the fuel line toward the rear of the car and flick it with your fingernail.

Check this thread out for what I and others did to get it to stop.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...nge-source-location-and-solution-pics.383122/

I also posted a few pictures in this thread on page 2.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-to-the-forum.384371/page-2#post-7637362

Last edited:

tactical_borscht

Car(s)
2019 GTI Mk 7.5
Thanks for the comments everyone. I removed trim pieces from the A-pillar (anything that could be a source of the vibration) but the noise is still there! I'll check the fuel lines next.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Nice. What did you use to absorb the vibration?
In most cases, a warranty visit. All the dealers know of this, its super common.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
In most cases, a warranty visit. All the dealers know of this, its super common.
Valid point, but the last time I took my car in to the dealer for warranty work they put a dent in my door and conveniently failed to mention it. Eventually I’ll need to take it in for something, but I’m not looking forward to it.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Valid point, but the last time I took my car in to the dealer for warranty work they put a dent in my door and conveniently failed to mention it. Eventually I’ll need to take it in for something, but I’m not looking forward to it.
In this case it's filling the void where the fuel line is with expanding foam. If you've worked with expanding foam in a closed cavity it's not something you just willy nilly shoot in there. I would feel concerned doing it myself if something went wrong and the fact that the official solution is expanding foam tells you there isn't many other ways to fix it.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
In this case it's filling the void where the fuel line is with expanding foam. If you've worked with expanding foam in a closed cavity it's not something you just willy nilly shoot in there. I would feel concerned doing it myself if something went wrong and the fact that the official solution is expanding foam tells you there isn't many other ways to fix it.
Totally agree. I wouldn't be doing that either. I went with some electrical tape and a piece of a Mr. Clean sponge thing. It's worked great so far.