GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is the German aftermarket community/support so strong?

yantastic

Passed Driver's Ed
Just out of curiosity, why is the online market so strong with the German car market? What I mean is that there's companies like FCP Euro, ECS Tuning, EUROTuning, that offer aftermarket parts across a large variety of euro cars within one location.

A few of these companies also have some very high quality video DIY content that really makes ownership a little bit less scary and easier. As an example, I'm a total noob when it comes to DIY, but I just did a brake fluid flush on my MK7 GTI and the help from the DIY videos is tremendous.

JDMs have some very brand specific sites like Subbiespeed, is there something I'm missing?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
VW, Mercs, BMW etc. are sold in more countries around the world than many other brands....therefore your sales market for parts is far greater.

coniglio rampante

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Edit
VW, Mercs, BMW etc. are sold in more countries around the world than many other brands....therefore your sales market for parts is far greater.
Agreed.
Think of the millions of Golf’s (to name just one model) of all types that have been sold over the decades, and heck, Merc’s/Daimler’s have been in heavy use as taxi’s in many countries let alone as personal use vehicles.

At the other end of the sales spectrum, the Miata community has a couple of very good vendors (Flyin’ Miata, Good-Win Racing, etc.) but it’s a car in a niche market wherein Mazda (one of the smallest manufacturers) is happy/ecstatic to sell 10,000 units per year.

Last edited:

tarheelbob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
What others have said is certainly true, but online support of many vehicles is crazy high. The Japanese performance/tuner market has HUGE global support. Look up any American pickup (or Mustang, or muscle car, etc.), for anything performance or mod related. It's crazy how much content is out there. Don't even get started with Jeeps or Harleys...

Maybe we have a little bit of tunnel vison since we love our little German hot rods, but we don't have any monopoly on online contents. The internet is alive...!

- Bob

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Newer Civic Si is decent. Honda s2000 / Integra / RSX are still good performance platforms. Older Japanese cars are lighter and often tough to beat at autocross.

Japanese cars are late to the turbo game, at least in the US.

Seems like German cars are easier to tune and hack electronics, or at least it seems there is more competition for tools to do so.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The culture and ethos surrounding German cars is just strong. People who love them, really love them. And most people who own them, love them. Whereas your average Honda, Chevy, whatever owner doesn’t have a noteworthy sense of love or pride in their car. It’s just their car.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’d take an AWD Turbo K-Swap EG hatch.

Same. Got to see AWD EJ at Streetcar takeover. Thing ran 8.8@169 and won it’s class lol

IMG_0521.jpg

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I would add that true or not, perception for Japanese cars is reliability. People who are not looking to wrench on their cars let alone spend time at the dealer buy most of them.

Used Japanese cars above 100k are less spooky to the average person than a German car. Buy a BMW with a 150k on it, you either know how to wrench or have $$$ for future surprises. No one had interest in my 160k well-maintained 328i but they lined up in my driveway when we re-sold our kids Toyotas.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
The culture and ethos surrounding German cars is just strong. People who love them, really love them. And most people who own them, love them. Whereas your average Honda, Chevy, whatever owner doesn’t have a noteworthy sense of love or pride in their car. It’s just their car.
I don't agree with this at all. I'd love to see real statistics regarding the percentages of stock models from different manufacturers. I doubt they would be very different between popular performance oriented models from different manufacturers. I'm relatively new to German cars, with my GTI being my first. I enjoy the car, and the aftermarket support for it, a lot. I've always been a car enthusiast though, and have owned and modified numerous American and Japanese cars in the past, that I also enjoyed and appreciated the great aftermarket support for. While some owners may have great brand loyalty, the specific application has the most to do with aftermarket support. Some models lend themselves to tuning/aftermarket support better than others.