Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
You'll never get the valves hot enough to burn the carbon build up off but whatever makes you feel better

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I've been getting a grinding noise from the front passenger wheel area when turning the steering wheel...figured it was a rock stuck in there but after taking off the wheel and looking around I couldn't find anything.
Put the wheel back on, hoping the rock fell out when I took it off, but the noise is still there during driving.
It comes and goes, sometimes louder than others.

Any other ideas? Did I just miss wherever its hiding?

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I've been getting a grinding noise from the front passenger wheel area when turning the steering wheel...figured it was a rock stuck in there but after taking off the wheel and looking around I couldn't find anything.
Put the wheel back on, hoping the rock fell out when I took it off, but the noise is still there during driving.
It comes and goes, sometimes louder than others.

Any other ideas? Did I just miss wherever its hiding?
Did you check your driver side CV boot? If it's torn or broken, it could get noisy if there's anything in it.

Edit: passenger side, not driver side

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Did you check your driver side CV boot? If it's torn or broken, it could get noisy if there's anything in it.
no i didn't. the driver's side would cause noise to come from the passenger side?

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Ah yes, time for some sunroof problems...

I have had many issues with my sunroof during my ownership of my gti. I have an issue with the sunroof shade (the mesh) bunching up when I open the shade. It seems like the roller is not doing anything or is just stuck somehow. I was able to close it during the summer and forget about it, still using the sunroof anyways. Now the weather is cooling off and I would like to be able to see out of the glass again. When I operate the shade, in addition to the bunching up of the mesh, the sides of the silver bar can (and do) move at different rates, causing it to get stuck.

I have looked all over to find any owners that have had a similar issue, but I can't find anyone that has the issues, much less a remedy. I have to open the shade with two hands and it often requires you to pull it all the way closed so you can un-stuck it and also feed the mesh screen into the back. :/

There are many posts and videos on how to fix the shade from slowly creeping back and also to remove the squeaks and rattles... which brings me to my next issue(s). I was rear-ended in the springtime and my sunroof was open during the impact. I definitely need to adjust it because it rattles and squeaks. I had already adjusted it because of the obnoxious squeaks it was making before, but this time it seems like it is more than just two screws on the back that need to be redone. Could it just be dried out weather stripping?

I do remember using the sunroof shades in other, brand new, gti's but this seems to have gotten way worse over the past couple of months (now I need to use two hands to operate it).

I still have a couple of questions...

Is the sunroof shade supposed to have tension to make it easier to pull open?
Is there a fix to make the shade work like normal that won't cost hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars?
Is it possible for the mesh to get jammed in a corner, causing lack of tension, causing it to not wind up?
What else could cause the squeaking/rattling?
What should I use to lube the weather strip gaskets?
I have seen TSB's for this type of thing but my car is out of warranty so I am sure it will be out of pocket for me. Are these 'update' TSB's free for out of warranty cars?

Sorry for the overload of disorganized information.

stm25rs

I'll be selling my 2018 GTI Autobahn soon - started a new job that provides a company car, so it's time to say goodbye to the best car I've ever had.

It's Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU and TCU tuned, plus I've done a couple small tweaks via OBD11. I think just turning down the soundaktor volume a bit, and turned off auto start/stop.

I'll most likely just sell it to carmax, carvana, or one of those types of services since I don't feel like dealing with private party.

Should I revert to stock, or leave the tune and OBD tweaks? I'm thinking revert to stock, then post my VIN somewhere on this forum, that way if someone wants, I can ship them my unitronic cable and send them my account info, then they can install it on their own.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i

Not really. It's not spring loaded if that's what you meant.

Is there a fix to make the shade work like normal that won't cost hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars?

Maybe try manhandling it back into position? I remember my original shade being crookedly open from the dealer and I went to open it with some oomph and it almost snapped into place

Is it possible for the mesh to get jammed in a corner, causing lack of tension, causing it to not wind up?

Could be! I dont think there's a rail or a channel specifically for the cloth so it could have snagged something, you can open the glass and try looking from above.

Maybe something is still loose from the accident? I mean, with the glass open you do hear some more creaks in the roof but not really when closed.

For lube:

Amazon.com: VW AUDI SUNROOF TRACK GREASE LUBRICANT : Automotive

For seal:

Amazon.com: Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz. Tube, Pack of 1 : Automotive

I have seen TSB's for this type of thing but my car is out of warranty so I am sure it will be out of pocket for me. Are these 'update' TSB's free for out of warranty cars?

I would ask and see, especially since there have been golfs with sunroof recalls. Worth a shot

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'll be selling my 2018 GTI Autobahn soon - started a new job that provides a company car, so it's time to say goodbye to the best car I've ever had.

It's Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU and TCU tuned, plus I've done a couple small tweaks via OBD11. I think just turning down the soundaktor volume a bit, and turned off auto start/stop.

I'll most likely just sell it to carmax, carvana, or one of those types of services since I don't feel like dealing with private party.

Should I revert to stock, or leave the tune and OBD tweaks? I'm thinking revert to stock, then post my VIN somewhere on this forum, that way if someone wants, I can ship them my unitronic cable and send them my account info, then they can install it on their own.

I once traded in a tuned 99’ Civic Si, supercharged, some other things. I put together a list of what was done, and my email, then stuck that list in the owners manual. I figure most people would grab the manual and flip through it when they buy a new car.

Sure enough, the new owner reached out for more info when he came across my note.

You could maybe try that. Detail what you’ve done, and leave your email tucked away in the owners manual books.

cb1111

Ah yes, time for some sunroof problems...

I have had many issues with my sunroof during my ownership of my gti. I have an issue with the sunroof shade (the mesh) bunching up when I open the shade. It seems like the roller is not doing anything or is just stuck somehow. I was able to close it during the summer and forget about it, still using the sunroof anyways. Now the weather is cooling off and I would like to be able to see out of the glass again. When I operate the shade, in addition to the bunching up of the mesh, the sides of the silver bar can (and do) move at different rates, causing it to get stuck.

I have looked all over to find any owners that have had a similar issue, but I can't find anyone that has the issues, much less a remedy. I have to open the shade with two hands and it often requires you to pull it all the way closed so you can un-stuck it and also feed the mesh screen into the back. :/

There are many posts and videos on how to fix the shade from slowly creeping back and also to remove the squeaks and rattles... which brings me to my next issue(s). I was rear-ended in the springtime and my sunroof was open during the impact. I definitely need to adjust it because it rattles and squeaks. I had already adjusted it because of the obnoxious squeaks it was making before, but this time it seems like it is more than just two screws on the back that need to be redone. Could it just be dried out weather stripping?

I do remember using the sunroof shades in other, brand new, gti's but this seems to have gotten way worse over the past couple of months (now I need to use two hands to operate it).

I still have a couple of questions...

Sorry for the overload of disorganized information.
There are multiple types of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin). In very simple terms, a TSB tells a dealer "hey, we found an issue and here is how to address the issue"

The solution could be "covered by warranty", "covered even outside of warranty, here's how to bill for it" or "it isn't a problem, here's what to tell a customer"

#1 is simple - here's the problem and this is how to fix it
#2 is a bit more difficult - it could affect certain VIN ranges, options or what not. This is often called a "hidden warranty". A close review of the TSB may reveal if it will be paid for by the manufacturer.
#3 is a sticky wicket - it is a perceived problem that isn't a problem and the issue is how to tell the customer. An example is the headlights fogging in humid conditions - normal in many cases and goes away when the headlights are on for a few minutes

If you have a specific TSB, then post it here and we'll chime in.

cb1111

I once traded in a tuned 99’ Civic Si, supercharged, some other things. I put together a list of what was done, and my email, then stuck that list in the owners manual. I figure most people would grab the manual and flip through it when they buy a new car.

Sure enough, the new owner reached out for more info when he came across my note.

You could maybe try that. Detail what you’ve done, and leave your email tucked away in the owners manual books.
Bad, bad idea. If something goes wrong then they'll come looking for you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Bad, bad idea. If something goes wrong then they'll come looking for you.
Why? They must have appraised the car prior to the trade in. But for an example If he bought a VW and it was tuned and the dealer didn't know or say the customer will be the one who gets screwed. There is a thread recently for that.