GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alltrack IS38 - Unitronic Datalog

Zhars

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently installed the IS38 and decided to datalog using Unitronic data logger. Even though the tune is made for 93, I'm still seeing knock events on all (4) cylinders, up to 3-4 degrees. I will be trying 94 octane for the next tank to see if it helps some. The other issue I'm noticing is that boost does not meet target after ~ 4600rpm. It is down roughly 1.5psi. The turbo was used and I did check the wastegate actuator voltage before installing it. Voltage was slightly low at 3.3V so, I decided to bring it up to 3.65-7 and leave it there. I tried passing the First Adaptation of charge pressure actuator using OBD11, but it would not let me finish. There are no CEL and the car drives great without any other noticeable issues. There are no misfires either.

Mods:
IE Downpipe
Mishimoto intercooler
Stock airbox with AFE filter
Aliexpress silicone pipe and turbo inlet
Stock catback
Stock plugs

Unfortunately I can not export the data to a .csv (datazap), so here is a screenshot. I might go through the hassle of manually inputting the data points into XLS and uploading to datazap.

Update:
https://datazap.me/u/zhars/is38-unitronic-esso-93?log=0&data=1-4-6

Attachments

• IS38 Log_2 - 50% 93-94.png
    IS38 Log_2 - 50% 93-94.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I would go with colder plugs and better fuel and see how it reacts.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have the same tune and getting minor correction like that is going to be related to the fuel quality. Log doesn't look bad at all. You still are getting 13.5 deg of advance at redline and your boost looks normal. I've logged my car so many times - 14.5 is as much advance as I've seen and my boost looks indentical...21 or so tapering to 19 or so. Unless it's egregious (5+...you'll start to get misfires and possible limp mode), I wouldn't worry about it. You can add a few gallons of ethanol and that correction will be gone. I saw your post over on golfmk7 - jsut send the logs over to Uni...they will probably tell you the same thing. I see quite a difference down here in VA from summer to winter 93. Summer I see v. little correction but in winter, it's can be bad and I run ethanol when I want to go hard. You can look at my somewhat crappy OBDEleven logs here:

datazap.me | Karstgeo72

Zhars

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same tune and getting minor correction like that is going to be related to the fuel quality. Log doesn't look bad at all. You still are getting 13.5 deg of advance at redline and your boost looks normal. I've logged my car so many times - 14.5 is as much advance as I've seen and my boost looks indentical...21 or so tapering to 19 or so. Unless it's egregious (5+...you'll start to get misfires and possible limp mode), I wouldn't worry about it. You can add a few gallons of ethanol and that correction will be gone. I saw your post over on golfmk7 - jsut send the logs over to Uni...they will probably tell you the same thing. I see quite a difference down here in VA from summer to winter 93. Summer I see v. little correction but in winter, it's can be bad and I run ethanol when I want to go hard. You can look at my somewhat crappy OBDEleven logs here:

datazap.me | Karstgeo72
Took a look at one of your 93 logs, and you are pulling max 1.88 degrees which is not as bad. While it is quite possible that Canadian 93 is not equivalent to US 93, I was not expecting over 4 degrees of timing pulled. It would be ideal if Unitronic had a ~91 tune. I do not have access to ethanol at the pumps, and it is like $4-5/a gallon here for E85 if bought from performance shops. I think requesting less timing and not having the car pull it because of sub-par gas will perform better than a 93 tune.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Took a look at one of your 93 logs, and you are pulling max 1.88 degrees which is not as bad. While it is quite possible that Canadian 93 is not equivalent to US 93, I was not expecting over 4 degrees of timing pulled. It would be ideal if Unitronic had a ~91 tune. I do not have access to ethanol at the pumps, and it is like $4-5/a gallon here for E85 if bought from performance shops. I think requesting less timing and not having the car pull it because of sub-par gas will perform better than a 93 tune.
Many of my logs I'm running some ethanol. I thought there were some with more than 1.88 but I could be wrong. I've seen it live logging had it be upwards of 5+ on crappy gas in the winter. I agree; a 91 tune may be more suited for some folks/regions and also agree that at some point pulling too much timing is worse than just having a less aggressive tune. With your logs showing ~3, how does it feel/run? For me, when I had issues it would do as John discussed over on the other forum, I would get so rich to cool it it would have misfires/power cuts/limp mode.

Zhars

Passed Driver's Ed
Many of my logs I'm running some ethanol. I thought there were some with more than 1.88 but I could be wrong. I've seen it live logging had it be upwards of 5+ on crappy gas in the winter. I agree; a 91 tune may be more suited for some folks/regions and also agree that at some point pulling too much timing is worse than just having a less aggressive tune. With your logs showing ~3, how does it feel/run? For me, when I had issues it would do as John discussed over on the other forum, I would get so rich to cool it it would have misfires/power cuts/limp mode.
Yes, I just looked at the first one that said 93. However here GSW 93 10-20-2020 you are pulling over 4 as well! Not sure if this is winter blend at end of Oct but definitely needs ethanol. The car runs great, especially compared to the IS12 and I would not think anything is off if I did not log. Did some dragy runs and best so for is 4.49 0-60, but I can't seem to get the 60ft below 1.98-1.99

Attachments

• Screenshot (Oct. 5, 2021 11_11_09 p.m.).png
    Screenshot (Oct. 5, 2021 11_11_09 p.m.).png
    154.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20211005-231035.png
    Screenshot_20211005-231035.png
    281 KB · Views: 45

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes, I just looked at the first one that said 93. However here GSW 93 10-20-2020 you are pulling over 4 as well! Not sure if this is winter blend at end of Oct but definitely needs ethanol. The car runs great, especially compared to the IS12 and I would not think anything is off if I did not log. Did some dragy runs and best so for is 4.49 0-60, but I can't seem to get the 60ft below 1.98-1.99
Yes, the fall gas seems to do it every year, logging this summer on straight 93 showed min. timing correction. Seems that 9/15 is the date where the switch starts to happen. In the winter, some of my logs max timing advance at 8 or so vs. the nearly 14+ I get in summer. If the car is running well, no EPC, no misfires, no power cut outs, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I have a best 60' of 1.88, typically 1.95 or so. Drop some air pressure out of your front tires. It takes some practice. What is your launch RPM?

Zhars

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the fall gas seems to do it every year, logging this summer on straight 93 showed min. timing correction. Seems that 9/15 is the date where the switch starts to happen. In the winter, some of my logs max timing advance at 8 or so vs. the nearly 14+ I get in summer. If the car is running well, no EPC, no misfires, no power cut outs, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I have a best 60' of 1.88, typically 1.95 or so. Drop some air pressure out of your front tires. It takes some practice. What is your launch RPM?
Update:

Working with John to see if he can modify the tune slightly and lower the timing curve.