GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Not my car, nor is it an MK7, but my gf’s 2014 JSW TDI’s alternator died on her on the way home from work today. I believe it’s the alternator because the car started and she got halfway home and it died in motion. Car won’t even turn on to shift into neutral. A fun trip to the dealer... looked through her carfax report from when we got the car and the battery was replaced before sale in November 2019. Gotta be the alternator.

glad we bought the VW extended warranty!!!

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Not my car, nor is it an MK7, but my gf’s 2014 JSW TDI’s alternator died on her on the way home from work today. I believe it’s the alternator because the car started and she got halfway home and it died in motion. Car won’t even turn on to shift into neutral. A fun trip to the dealer... looked through her carfax report from when we got the car and the battery was replaced before sale in November 2019. Gotta be the alternator.

glad we bought the VW extended warranty!!!

Did you check the belt? I had the belt on my '12 Explorer let go about 120Km from home on a road trip. I turned off all the electronics I could, including the lights, infotainment, climate control etc., and was able to run the thing about half that distance on battery alone before she gave up the ghost. Still had to wait 2 hours for a tow truck though!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Did you check the belt? I had the belt on my '12 Explorer let go about 120Km from home on a road trip. I turned off all the electronics I could, including the lights, infotainment, climate control etc., and was able to run the thing about half that distance on battery alone before she gave up the ghost. Still had to wait 2 hours for a tow truck though!

we’re at hour 3.

that’s funny, the roadside assist dispatch asked me to check the belt and I was just like dude idgaf what it is lol this cars under B2B warranty so all I need is a jump, and if that don’t work a tow.

I just checked, nothing appears to be wrong with the belt itself. But when I popped the engine cover, there were acorns underneath... this could be the work of squirrels. I really fkn hope not. Bc that obviously wouldn’t be covered under the extended warranty... ugh

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
we’re at hour 3.

that’s funny, the roadside assist dispatch asked me to check the belt and I was just like dude idgaf what it is lol this cars under B2B warranty so all I need is a jump, and if that don’t work a tow.

I just checked, nothing appears to be wrong with the belt itself. But when I popped the engine cover, there were acorns underneath... this could be the work of squirrels. I really fkn hope not. Bc that obviously wouldn’t be covered under the extended warranty... ugh
It used to be that a tow truck driver would change out a battery, or a belt, right at the breakdown location. They carried a selection of common ones on the truck. I doubt that's true anymore, though I know the AMA (our Provincial auto club like AAA) trucks will bring a battery if you tell them you want it replaced, and do it by appointment.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It used to be that a tow truck driver would change out a battery, or a belt, right at the breakdown location. They carried a selection of common ones on the truck. I doubt that's true anymore, though I know the AMA (our Provincial auto club like AAA) trucks will bring a battery if you tell them you want it replaced, and do it by appointment.

yeah I really doubt it’s the battery, and no signs of wear/breakage on the serpentine belt. Though I DID see the battery light come up on the dash a few days ago, gave it a jump. Feasible it was getting somewhere on DC, hasn’t been driven but once or twice since, and it was around the city.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Right - given that a diesel engine is compression ignition, so no power consumption there, if you turn off all the electric consumers you can, a TDI can go a good 2+hours from when the alternator pulley lets go and falls off into the belly pan.
(Don't ask me how I know.)

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Given the cost of sequential / dynamic taillight retrofits, particularly with the pre-FL GSW, I cobbled together a poor-man's solution for my GSW. (Based on this guy's YouTube how-to....although I took it to another level of function by utilizing the rear fog position on each side - requiring a second relay in the hatch's tail light assembly. And I used actual wire strippers instead of YouTube Guy's scissor method 🤔).

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Wife sent me this today

Good thing I was already planning on having the MAS4 mounted tomorrow morning.

Also, tint appointment for Thursday on her GLI as well. Still up in the air between 50 & 70% for the windshield 30% on the rest.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Drove it for the first time since may.
Had to laugh at this. I recently went a few weeks without driving my GTI, and was instead just driving my 4Runner everywhere. Now I love my 4Runner, but it is lethargic slow, has lots of body roll, and people that cut me off thinking a 5k lb vehicle can stop in time get run over, (when will they learn?) because it has shitty brakes and is not going to out-brake anything except a Humvee. Anyway, I got back into the GTI and legit felt like I was in a race car lol.