GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where to go next?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
So this weekend I got the last major part I've been eyeing to "complete" the car as what I basically ever wanted since getting it. That being the catback exhaust... Since modding just about everything on my mk6 and learning from that, I decided what was priority, what was a waste of money and what I really wanted on this car. I've nailed everything I wanted.

Where would you go now? I know Intercooler is like a #1 on most people's list. I'm planning that next year since Winter is coming up and I've already dealt with Summer in Jersey. Since I'm not always in boost, I can't entirely say, the heat soak was a major issue for me on really hot days. In fact, I can't recall any moment where I was trying to floor it and realize I had no power. That's probably how little I'm ever flooring it or using boost. Yet, knowing how major the intercooler upgrade is on the Mk7, I'm going to get it regardless next year. Probably come Spring-Summer.

I'm on the stock Austins for Spring-Fall and looking to get rid of them eventually for some lower weight, pure Summer tire/wheels combination. What else would you say is a primary mod at this point? I'm talking a major mod that will help significantly? My current mods are in my sig. As you can see, it isn't major but they're significant. I know a clutch will probably be in the works eventually but I'm expecting that once I feel some slippage. So we can rule that out. Anything else?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
if you are going to ride winter out without the intercooler just get the clutch now.

Well, I was waiting to actually feel some slippage before I dig into that which I haven't yet... Knowing I may need a new clutch and I will do intercooler next year, anything else that is significant at Stg1 levels? Anything that can help prevent issues? On the mk6, we upgraded our coil packs for Stg1. I haven't heard of that being a big deal on the Mk7 platform... Anything else? What about diverter valve? It was big on the mk6, even for Stg1. but I haven't heard much about it on this one.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
The painful two are next: clutch and IC. Save enough so that you can do both beginning/late spring of next year. It's only a matter of time till it slips.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, I was waiting to actually feel some slippage before I dig into that which I haven't yet... Knowing I may need a new clutch and I will do intercooler next year, anything else that is significant at Stg1 levels? Anything that can help prevent issues? On the mk6, we upgraded our coil packs for Stg1. I haven't heard of that being a big deal on the Mk7 platform... Anything else? What about diverter valve? It was big on the mk6, even for Stg1. but I haven't heard much about it on this one.
Stock DV is the best and if the coils are working fine you don't need to replace them.

max_power

Go Kart Newbie
The way I see it, your “not getting into boost” driving style is a result of the fear of clutch slippage. Do the clutch now and go enjoy boost weather without the fear of destroying the clutch.
As far as other mods that haven’t been mentioned are concerned, the BFI mounts made a HUGE difference in how my car drove.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
The way I see it, your “not getting into boost” driving style is a result of the fear of clutch slippage. Do the clutch now and go enjoy boost weather without the fear of destroying the clutch.
As far as other mods that haven’t been mentioned are concerned, the BFI mounts made a HUGE difference in how my car drove.

You know, I'm not sure. It is and it isn't. I've gotten used to shifting typically before boost kicks in.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I agree with this. I wish I would’ve done my clutch earlier. I was always a little worried about my stock clutch and I didn’t realize how much it was hindering the driving experience for me. Have a SB ST3 Daily in now and never worry about getting on it at all. Plus the stock clutch isnt very engaging anyway. Now I have a diesel geek shifter, super pin, upgraded shifter bushings, BFI tranny mount, and a urotuning heavy shift knob. It’s a blast to row through the gears!

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Clutch, IC, Mounts, Tires. Not necessarily in that order.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Where is the fun in that?

lol, I hear you. I guess I meant, I'm not constantly bashing on it nonstop. I boost where appropriate, lol.

I wouldn't say I'm overly afraid of toasting it. I had a trip with some buddies down the highway shortly after getting tuned. One in a WRX, the other in a Genesis. I'd say the clutch lost a life there if I want to say it has 9 lives with a tune :ROFLMAO: