GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Even a larger IC in the stock location would help. Some of the aftermarket FMIC 's require some adjustments to fit properly.
It is my understanding the the larger ICs that fit in the stock location are the better option vs. a front-mount. I also know the twinter setups with stock IC and a FMIC.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It is my understanding the the larger ICs that fit in the stock location are the better option vs. a front-mount. I also know the twinter setups with stock IC and a FMIC.
There seems to be a lot of debate about that still.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There seems to be a lot of debate about that still.
For sure. I think Jeff Jones @ mygolfmk7.com has done some work on this topic.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Didn't he just bench flow them?
He's done a lot of testing including heat bits, driving, etc. Really worth folks time to check out his testing. Twinters...you name it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think the bigger take away from his testing/work isn't the minutae differences between the various ICs, it's the bigger picture bits of what they do and when they do it. At least that's my take-away.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Leave the high torque and live with wheel spin until you get new tires. You could also come by my house and we'll see if increasing xds helps until you get better rubber.
You rock. I’ll research this a bit. I read that increasing XDS can increase brake wear, especially when tracking?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You rock. I’ll research this a bit. I read that increasing XDS can increase brake wear, especially when tracking?
I don't see how the XDS settings are going to do much for wheel spin, it's more for control if you are cornering hard to help reduce understeer using the ABS system. I have a 4Motion wagon so my commentarty is based on the fact that I really have no spin issues at all. I've done some messing with it back and forth including logging it and I see no real differences in normal driving and only could see it activate if I really corner hard or take off turning WOT.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I don't see how the XDS settings are going to do much for wheel spin, it's more for control if you are cornering hard to help reduce understeer using the ABS system. I have a 4Motion wagon so my commentarty is based on the fact that I really have no spin issues at all. I've done some messing with it back and forth including logging it and I see no real differences in normal driving and only could see it activate if I really corner hard or take off turning WOT.
I have understood it that way too — as a means to help control understeer. Reading up on it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have understood it that way too — as a means to help control understeer. Reading up on it.
That's exactly what it's for. Wheel spin on a fwd car is just what it is - physics...the f. end unweights under power/acceleration. Tires probably make the single biggest difference. ASR off (traction control) and ECS off (stability control... also includes ASR off) are about the best you can do and easy to change using VCDS/OBDEleven. Folks swear up and down about some of the other ones like starting vibration reduction and rough road optimization but I've messed around with all of these settings a bunch in the end and find zero difference in any situation with both including a ton of Dragy launches looking at my 60'. I currently have my XDS set to weak. Disclaimer is I have the DSG and I have 4Motion and my wagon isn't a power monster (IS38 so about 300+ to the wheels) so traction isn't an issue for me. Certainly can play with them and see for youself. I have a bunch of this stuff outlined in my master lists here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=103181982851565181741&rtpof=true&sd=true

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMSDN_RHhzDwcaolOdMHIKRAEwKLTO5l/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

On track, yep. Heats things up too. It you aren't tracking though, it might help until you decide on sticky tires. You can come over and we'll throw my 255 RE71Rs on your car so you can see what having grip feels like. Lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My codriver is sponsored by Mishimoto, so I'm getting a free IC and radiator. They probably aren't the best in either category, but they are in my favorite category. Free.
You are mistaken. Mishimoto is the best IC. Not biased at all. 😁

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
If you didn’t know it had been tuned might of been better. Have the car for a few years and when ready to get rid of it bring it to their attention. Might have had the possibility of full buyback after owning a few years if you lawyered up.