GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Unofficial New England Introduce yourself Thread!

VermontGeezer

Car(s)
2016 GTI S 2dr 6MT
Greetings from yet another Medicare-age GTI owner in Vermont. I had to drive 3.5 hours south today to a dealer in MA to buy this 2016 GTI (6 speed manual). I don't have the car in my possession yet; it's a bit complicated logistically. I have to wait for the dealer to send me the title once the check clears, then I have to visit the local DMV to get registration and plates, then I have to get back down to the dealer without driving to pick up the GTI. I'm probably going to take a Cape Air flight to Logan, then a train to a location not far from the dealer where we can meet up.

I have been driving manual transmission cars (including a '78 Scirocco and an '01 Golf GLS 1.8t) for 45 years, but ended buying a 2015 Impreza with CVT in a hurry after running away from home without a car in Jan 2020 (long story). The Impreza is actually a pretty good car, and surprisingly efficient for AWD, but I really missed the stick shift, and the car never inspired confidence in passing or on twisty roads -- just too slow and unresponsive, and, frankly, boring. So I went a bit crazy recently and started looking for GTIs. First I tried a 2015 and during the test drive I kept saying things like "Wow!" and "Holy crap!" and "Fun!". But the car was a rebuilt title flood vehicle and had some weird issues that scared me away. This 2016 is clean and solid, with only 36K miles, the price was reasonable, and the VW CPO warranty made it seem like a safer bet. During the test drive today I kept making those same exclamations of pleasure, so I'm sure I'm going to be glad to be back in a VW.

BTW, in another thread, someone mentioned driving on Bethel Mountain Road. I live about a quarter mile from this road, and it's one of the reasons I decided to replace the Impreza with the GTI.
gti.jpg

Last edited:

DeuceMcgee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Welcome VG. Hope the "Wows" "Holy Crap" & "Fun" never end!

gprace

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Greetings from yet another Medicare-age GTI owner in Vermont. I had to drive 3.5 hours south today to a dealer in MA to buy this 2016 GTI (6 speed manual). I don't have the car in my possession yet; it's a bit complicated logistically. I have to wait for the dealer to send me the title once the check clears, then I have to visit the local DMV to get registration and plates, then I have to get back down to the dealer without driving to pick up the GTI. I'm probably going to take a Cape Air flight to Logan, then a train to a location not far from the dealer where we can meet up.

I have been driving manual transmission cars (including a '78 Scirocco and an '01 Golf GLS 1.8t) for 45 years, but ended buying a 2015 Impreza with CVT in a hurry after running away from home without a car in Jan 2020 (long story). The Impreza is actually a pretty good car, and surprisingly efficient for AWD, but I really missed the stick shift, and the car never inspired confidence in passing or on twisty roads -- just too slow and unresponsive, and, frankly, boring. So I went a bit crazy recently and started looking for GTIs. First I tried a 2015 and during the test drive I kept saying things like "Wow!" and "Holy crap!" and "Fun!". But the car was a rebuilt title flood vehicle and had some weird issues that scared me away. This 2016 is clean and solid, with only 36K miles, the price was reasonable, and the VW CPO warranty made it seem like a safer bet. During the test drive today I kept making those same exclamations of pleasure, so I'm sure I'm going to be glad to be back in a VW.

BTW, in another thread, someone mentioned driving on Bethel Mountain Road. I live about a quarter mile from this road, and it's one of the reasons I decided to replace the Impreza with the GTI.

Do not concern yourself about age. 78 years and still one of my cars is a GTI. I even do an occasional track day.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I know it's been a minute since someone posted here but... Hi my name is Tyler and I'm a Mk7 GTI owner. I'm from the largest state in the North East, Rhode Island. I am in Month 9 of ownership and I'm about to go stage 2!

The car has just about 30k miles on it and I have installed an IE V2 intake (no carbon fiber cover though), CTS Turbo inlet tube, CTS Turbo catted downpipe, and an ECS dog one mount and insert. I'm waiting on my COBB AP to arrive with my EQT stage 2 tune. My car is the DSG varient. This is also my first "project car". The last 2 cars I had were copies of each other. My first car was a 2002 4 door Honda accord with the 4-cyl in black. One day the tyranny literally just stopped functioning... That was fun. From there I upgraded into a 2002 black Honda accord... But this time it was the 6cyl with leather seats! One day the gas tank sprung a big leak and it was more expensive to fix than the car was worth so it went to Honda heaven. Then finally I got the gti! So like I sId I'm very new to the car scene and have ALOT to learn. Sometimes my ADHD Can cause me to come across as annoying due to my energy levels but it's just me being semi-desperste to learn as much as I can as quick as I can because this car needs mods lol.

One stupid goal of mine is to be able to 1/4 mile my old managers 20q5 Audi s5 with an APR stage 1 tune on it but that's just a pipe dream lol.

Come October I will be moving up to Massachusetts and I am super nervous about the inspection because I have to pass lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4284.jpg
    IMG_4284.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4283.jpg
    IMG_4283.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 66

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know it's been a minute since someone posted here but... Hi my name is Tyler and I'm a Mk7 GTI owner. I'm from the largest state in the North East, Rhode Island. I am in Month 9 of ownership and I'm about to go stage 2!

The car has just about 30k miles on it and I have installed an IE V2 intake (no carbon fiber cover though), CTS Turbo inlet tube, CTS Turbo catted downpipe, and an ECS dog one mount and insert. I'm waiting on my COBB AP to arrive with my EQT stage 2 tune. My car is the DSG varient. This is also my first "project car". The last 2 cars I had were copies of each other. My first car was a 2002 4 door Honda accord with the 4-cyl in black. One day the tyranny literally just stopped functioning... That was fun. From there I upgraded into a 2002 black Honda accord... But this time it was the 6cyl with leather seats! One day the gas tank sprung a big leak and it was more expensive to fix than the car was worth so it went to Honda heaven. Then finally I got the gti! So like I sId I'm very new to the car scene and have ALOT to learn. Sometimes my ADHD Can cause me to come across as annoying due to my energy levels but it's just me being semi-desperste to learn as much as I can as quick as I can because this car needs mods lol.

One stupid goal of mine is to be able to 1/4 mile my old managers 20q5 Audi s5 with an APR stage 1 tune on it but that's just a pipe dream lol.

Come October I will be moving up to Massachusetts and I am super nervous about the inspection because I have to pass lol.
Keep your stock downpipe because you'll most likely need it to pass emissions depending on how Massachusetts does their emissions.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Keep your stock downpipe because you'll most likely need it to pass emissions depending on how Massachusetts does their emissions.
I think you'd be okay as long as you have a CEL free downpipe and the O2 sensor shows ready. The place I go doesn't look under the hood or put the car on the lift, but having one that looks stock would probably help. Just guessing, my cars drivetrain is stock.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think you'd be okay as long as you have a CEL free downpipe and the O2 sensor shows ready. The place I go doesn't look under the hood or put the car on the lift, but having one that looks stock would probably help. Just guessing, my cars drivetrain is stock.
I'm not so sure the CTS DP will be CEL free and show readiness. Maybe someone else will see this who has one. I've just seen many times people who sold their stock DP desperately looking for one to pass emissions.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Where are you in RI and where in MA you moving to?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm not so sure the CTS DP will be CEL free and show readiness. Maybe someone else will see this who has one. I've just seen many times people who sold their stock DP desperately looking for one to pass emissions.

Done via OBD scan, 1 not-ready monitor allowed, no CEL\DTC's allowed.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Done via OBD scan, 1 not-ready monitor allowed, no CEL\DTC's allowed.
Currently I have a CEL due to my downpipe (forgot to put the O2 spacer in) but I'm hoping the EQT stage 2 tune will let me not have to put the spacer in and pass as is

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Currently I have a CEL due to my downpipe (forgot to put the O2 spacer in) but I'm hoping the EQT stage 2 tune will let me not have to put the spacer in and pass as is
The EQT tune will turn off the CEL from the display but it will still show up in an emissions scan.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
The EQT tune will turn off the CEL from the display but it will still show up in an emissions scan.
Then how do you recommend getting around it? Just caving and Installing the O2 spacer in the dp? Is there a way to do it without having to fully remove the dp?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Grew up in Warwick. Moving to Plainville

Nice. Mentioned in the other thread, I'm right in Oakland Beach myself. Seen me driving around? Far as I'm aware, I'm the only Nardo Grey GTI in the area.

1632067670681.png

If you save your stock downpipe, I can help you swap it anytime you need. My garage is always open to help a GTI, and on an MK7 without the PP, I've gotten it down to about 30 - 40 minutes to swap the downpipe lol.