GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield Chip Repair

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have a small chip in the glass and was wondering if anyone repaired one with superglue. It's only a surface chip that I don't think a glass repair ship would bother with. I normally wouldn't care since chips like these are a common occurrence with all of the road construction, but it seems it could cause wear in the wiper blade. I ask because the installer for my natural stone granite kitchen countertops told me about how to fill small imperfections in the granite if one was in a spot that's in a spot that tends to pick up food. You clean it with alcohol and put a drop of superglue in it, let it sit overnight then use a razorblade flat on the glass to remove the excess. It works well with granite. Windshield repair and replacement are free here by state law if it gets worse but I'd rather not. I also saw an article that mentioned filling windshield chips with clear lacquer but I feel that's not as good a solution as superglue. Any thoughts?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I would do it, but super glue won’t hold up over the abuse. You also want something that won’t self level. Maybe an epoxy. If it’s not deep enough it won’t hold either. This is why most glass chip repair guys will grind down to laminate layer to give it something to bite into.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
I had great success years back on my Mk6 with a DIY chip repair kit. The major key was to leave it out in the sun to cure but after that was completed I couldn't even tell where the chip was anymore.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
I just repaired a nasty chip in my windshield yesterday. I used the kit from permatex, it's around $10 and is available from probably any autoparts store. Comes with everything you need and you'll be quite surprised how well it will come out if done correctly.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Why the apprehension over a chip repair service? I've used it through my insurance; it costs nothing, doesn't raise your rate and they'll do it in your driveway or parking spot at work. I didn't even have to file a claim, just call to schedule it and they did everything else.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why the apprehension over a chip repair service? I've used it through my insurance; it costs nothing, doesn't raise your rate and they'll do it in your driveway or parking spot at work. I didn't even have to file a claim, just call to schedule it and they did everything else.
It's good to have the chip repair kit anyway in case the chip repair place is closed for the day and you need to keep a chip from spreading overnight. I've had it happen. Got a chip about 6" from the passenger edge and by morning it had spread to the edge and they can't repair it when it goes to an edge.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If the fix or replacement is free why not do that and forgo the super glue? I recently had a chip in the window, contacted my insurance and the fix was totally free to me.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
easy enough

cb1111

I tried really hard, but I just couldn't find a picture of some guy with his hand glued to his windshield. . .
1632007248483.png

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
I used the Permatex kit from an auto store to do two small chips side by side. Prep is key.