GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Ok cool. Then this turbo should get me to where I would want to be with a GSW/Alltrack.
This is pretty much a IS38+ from Garrett, I would guess it makes around 430-450whp on a fwd dynojet on E85 but you could probably get over 400whp on E30 with just an upgraded HPFP.

For 1350 bucks complete and you can pick it up at you local Garrett vendor seems to be a solid choice for the 1.8 where you want to keep as much bottom end as possible.

Last edited:

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
The G25 is surging above 5k rpm. Real surge in the top end, not a little spool flutter.

I also think you're going to be very disappointed if you think the baby Garrett is going to hold 29psi to redline. The big one only holds 30 before exceeding the rpm limits and voiding the warranty.
If you're referring to the G25-660 that looks reasonable, a 2L engine isn't drawing enough air to operate past the surge line at that engine speed, even at 40 psi.

The bigger Garrett has a lower maximum speed and correspondingly lower maximum pressure ratio.

I'm simply referencing what is shown as the operating range of the Stage 1 compressor wheel, I understand that there are other parts that will also factor in to what pressure ratio can be achieved on the car.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I use that exact model to sear steaks indoor. The heat gun produces minimal smoke. 8/10 would recommend.
Not a bad idea. So we got ours today, unboxed for a couple photos. I think it's the rampage fabrication fb.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If you're referring to the G25-660 that looks reasonable, a 2L engine isn't drawing enough air to operate past the surge line at that engine speed, even at 40 psi.

The bigger Garrett has a lower maximum speed and correspondingly lower maximum pressure ratio.

I'm simply referencing what is shown as the operating range of the Stage 1 compressor wheel, I understand that there are other parts that will also factor in to what pressure ratio can be achieved on the car.

The G25-660 is the big offering.

It's just poor engineering. Too much wheel, not enough housing.

EQT ran into the same issue testing their first prototype of the next gen turbo...so they revised the design. Garrett either didn't bother to test or didn't care that the turbo is choking itself to death.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
so anyone running these yet?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Damn it. I don’t use Facebook
I wouldn’t either if it weren’t for my job. The amount of bullshit I have to sift through to find input from an EQT employee is infuriating. Facebook sucks as a CS platform.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Someone got FB cliffnotes? I also got rid of that trash

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I had a look on facebook. Car dyno at 270wkw. 94kw over stock.
low reading dyno as APR stage 1 HO has made 215wkw same dyno and run 12.1 1/4 mile on hot night.

It’s seems it’s around 35hp gain over standard turbo pump fuel. I see it as good option to replace stock turbo if it fails. More so than a stage 3 option as such. Would be decent gain from IS20 turbo though.