GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to buy a used COBB AP?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Quick and. simple question. What do I look for when buying a used COBB AP? Im looking to use it for both DSG tune and ECU tune. Is there a way to buy an AP with tunes preinstalled that I can throw on my car or do have to look for just theAP with theTCU/DSG "unlocked"? Im quite confused and am hoping that the knowledge base here can offer good suggestions!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's a pain in the ass especially when trying to match up TCU box codes and if the previous owner doesn't unmarry it, you're left with a brick that not cost effective to unlock. My recommendation would be to buy new or hold out for boost weather sale.

Furthermore, when buying a used AP, you are not licensed to the tunes from the pro-tuners (can still receive Cobb tune updates). That means that when Sneaky/EQT offer an upgrade to an OTS tune as they have a few times so far with drivability improvements, you will not be entitled to upgrade at the upgrade cost ($25). Instead, you'll need to purchase the OTS tune in your name to the tune of $175. Something to consider.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
It's a pain in the ass especially when trying to match up TCU box codes and if the previous owner doesn't unmarry it, you're left with a brick that not cost effective to unlock. My recommendation would be to buy new or hold out for boost weather sale.
if I do end up doing used how would do so? what would I ask the seller? if they don't have the knowledge how do inform them of the steps to follow?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
if I do end up doing used how would do so? what would I ask the seller? if they don't have the knowledge how do inform them of the steps to follow?
You'd ask them to unmarry it and show you proof with a time stamped photo that it was done. It's a simple process that all takes place with the AP plugged in the car, but it's your responsibility to ensure that it's compatible with your ECU and DSG.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
You'd ask them to unmarry it and show you proof with a time stamped photo that it was done. It's a simple process that all takes place with the AP plugged in the car, but it's your responsibility to ensure that it's compatible with your ECU and DSG.
how do you determine if it is compatible with your ECU and DSG?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
how do you determine if it is compatible with your ECU and DSG?
I believe the AP model number you'll need for MK7 is AP3-VLK-002 but check with Cobb. The TCU ID can be located with your AP once married with DSG enabled, OBD11, or VCDS.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I believe the AP model number you'll need for MK7 is AP3-VLK-002 but check with Cobb. The TCU ID can be located with your AP once married with DSG enabled, OBD11, or VCDS.
I found the model number. its AP3-VLK-002-DSG. the DSG is important because it lets me tune the dog without paying Cobb like a few hundred to unlock it lol. The DSG update/unlock is an additional $400 if not bought with it originally. So the tcu id is the DSG unlock?

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Yes to screen shot of user name and unmarried. Model will tell TCU enabled. Assume you can’t carry custom TCU tune but can use Cobb and pay for your own. Might get a staged ECU tune from EQT etc that will work with car

I saved a ton. Second used AP on two different cars. Due diligence will pay off on used AP.
Good luck