GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 vs Unitronic Stage 1+

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not sure unitronic is actually safer though. Sure APR runs more boost, but I haven't seen a APR tune with correct fuel apply knock correction consistently. Meaning the APR tune doesn't knock. It runs more boost and there is more wear on the turbo, but how often are you flooring it really? The Uni tunes I've seen

Apr doesn't make an 89 tune.

Thanks for that. I wouldn't bother running 89 then if it's tuned for 87. Won't gain anything unless he's knocking bad but then the tune wouldn't be any good.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If you're going to run 89 why not just get tuned for 89? Otherwise it's a waste to pay for higher octane.

because even an 87 tune is going to pull timing on 87, in light of being 87 lol. 89 is .25 more and provides peace of mind

MrsPhoenix

Car(s)
2017 Golf AlltrackSE
Hello everyone! Even though I’ve read all 7 pages and have been lurking since 08/2020, I still can’t decide between Apr stage 1 or Uni stage 1+. I drive in a spirited manner but don’t want to blow my engine or turbo (I race on the highway sometimes). So can you guys help me decide?

Attachments

• 2A952833-1DA6-459D-B7A3-341F1822EB41.jpeg
    2A952833-1DA6-459D-B7A3-341F1822EB41.jpeg
    913.5 KB · Views: 72

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hello everyone! Even though I’ve read all 7 pages and have been lurking since 08/2020, I still can’t decide between Apr stage 1 or Uni stage 1+. I drive in a spirited manner but don’t want to blow my engine or turbo (I race on the highway sometimes). So can you guys help me decide?

I think you run a risk no matter what you decide. When you're on the tunes, you're excepting additional beyond OEM spec performance improvements but at what cost? Obviously VW tuned the car based on the hardware installed and what they deemed acceptable on their OEM tune vs OEM hardware deterioration. By upping the specs, you're forcing the OEM hardware to work a tad harder.

Personally, I feel it's worth the risk because we only live once and in relation to that with your car, your car is only young once and will continue to get older and mileage/wear and tear become a more determining factor. I prefer to tune sooner than later to get the additional enjoyment out of the car sooner and hope the OEM hardware can handle it better then. With that, I always keep in the back of my mind that I may need to replace clutch. Perhaps the turbo blows (APR stg2 did it for my Mk6 and it only had 33k miles...). I mean anything can happen and you just have to be prepared should it happen but let's not say it is often. In fact the vast majority probably have zero issues and will not join a forum to share how awesome their tune has held up for 70k+ miles...

Oh and your original question between Apr stg1 and Uni, I went Apr and can say, for the mk7, it retains a very OEM feel at low RPM. Then plenty of juice when you need to get around someone, lol.

MrsPhoenix

Car(s)
2017 Golf AlltrackSE
You must have been reading my soul LOL. I want something that can get me out of the way if I need it (I obsessively check my 6 all the time especially when I come to a stop), but that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Also the guy who changed my battery loved my car so we ended up talking about tuning and he said his brother sells and has APR and loves it! So yeah, I think I’ll hit him up when paycheck drops on Friday. 😁 Thank you 🙏🏽 so much for your thorough and thoughtful response!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
You must have been reading my soul LOL. I want something that can get me out of the way if I need it (I obsessively check my 6 all the time especially when I come to a stop), but that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Also the guy who changed my battery loved my car so we ended up talking about tuning and he said his brother sells and has APR and loves it! So yeah, I think I’ll hit him up when paycheck drops on Friday. 😁 Thank you 🙏🏽 so much for your thorough and thoughtful response!

Yeah, I'm sure you'll get a lot to chime in about other tunes out there because there are a bunch but if you want a solid OTS tune that will be mostly hassle free, I don't think you can go wrong with either you choose. I do know though that Unitronic requires an extra cable you need to purchase called UniConnect and I don't believe it can be sold (partnered to a new car) later on in the event that you're done with them.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
potato/potato.

With the APR changes and emisssions crack downs, id probably go Uni to futureproof the next round of mods/tune... but thats just me.

MrsPhoenix

Car(s)
2017 Golf AlltrackSE
Yeah, I'm sure you'll get a lot to chime in about other tunes out there because there are a bunch but if you want a solid OTS tune that will be mostly hassle free, I don't think you can go wrong with either you choose. I do know though that Unitronic requires an extra cable you need to purchase called UniConnect and I don't believe it can be sold (partnered to a new car) later on in the event that you're done with them.
Yes uni requires a cable. Must I go to someone to get APR?

MrsPhoenix

Car(s)
2017 Golf AlltrackSE
potato/potato.

With the APR changes and emisssions crack downs, id probably go Uni to futureproof the next round of mods/tune... but thats just me.
What changes do you speak of? Can you explain your stance on “future-proofing” my car? I wanna ensure I understand you cuz I kinda have an idea of you’re talking about.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What changes do you speak of? Can you explain your stance on “future-proofing” my car? I wanna ensure I understand you cuz I kinda have an idea of you’re talking about.
Have you ruled out the Cobb platform?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
potato/potato.

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly because I believe all companies are being subjected to finer restrictions with regards to what products they put out and how that effects emmissions. APR was probably targeted first because they're one of the largest and well known but at the same time, I think they've already dealt with it. They're removed various products dealing with emissions including tunes off their store.

Since Stg1 requires zero additional hardware, I don't see how that would ever be touched. My local VW dealer still distributes their tunes... If when you say future proof, you mean that, if you went Stg1 now, you might not be able to go Stg2 in the future, then I can see your point there. It depends on what route they want to go.

Personally, if my turbo ever blows, knowing APR has a IS38 tune using stock downpipe, that would just be my next route. No way will I deal with the hassle of down pipe for a few more ponies to go Stg2... Ultimately I feel that bringing a downpipe into play and the tunes that require one are the ones that are most likely to be brought/taken down.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
... If when you say future proof, you mean that, if you went Stg1 now, you might not be able to go Stg2 in the future, then I can see your point there. It depends on what route they want to go.

Personally, if my turbo ever blows, knowing APR has a IS38 tune using stock downpipe, that would just be my next route. No way will I deal with the hassle of down pipe for a few more ponies to go Stg2... Ultimately I feel that bringing a downpipe into play and the tunes that require one are the ones that are most likely to be brought/taken down.
This... and if I ever go IS38 (which is the plan) id support the turbo upgrade with DP/clutch/IC... and I am APR stage 1 91. This means i'll have to go the Uni route if I want to take this next step.

IS38 with stock DP is fine and all, but not overly appealing for me. Uni stage 1 by all accounts is potato/potato but it offers you ceiling on the tune upgrade path. That's all i'm saying.