GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Update: Slowly but surely losing hope that they're going to do the right thing. I don't want to share too many details since the discussions are ongoing and could turn legal... but what I offered to them so far is no-go, and what they've offered to me so far is no-go. More to come early next week from the dealership owner (at least it’s risen to the top).

Maybe the joke about getting a free koozie and a hat wasn't so jokey after all... 😞
I hope you've contacted VWOA at this point. If you haven't, you should do so ASAP.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
For the record, VWOA says it's between me and the dealership to work out. Whether they're going to contact the dealership and shame them, I don't know, but they don't intervene in "sales negotiations." (It really annoys me that's what they call this situation.) They have documented the situation and will "make the dealership aware of the customer's concerns.” 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Who knows, but I think your point about a TV station is good - as is the AGs office.

Me? I'd call a lemon lawyer that specializes in VW. Yes, this isn't a lemon case but those lawyers do anything car related
Yes on the lemon lawer. Everyone here keeps talking about "expensive legal fees", but that's not how these guys work. You call them, tell them what's going on and they tell you if it's worth their time. Usually you just have to agree that any settlement will cover their legal fees. I had an excellent experience with a local lemon lawyer for a warranty issue in the past. They got me a check, got my car fixed and got me a lifetime warranty from VOA on the affected system (air conditioner). I never paid them anything, VW got the bill.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
For the record, VWOA says it's between me and the dealership to work out. Whether they're going to contact the dealership and shame them, I don't know, but they don't intervene in "sales negotiations." (It really annoys me that's what they call this situation.) They have documented the situation and will "make the dealership aware of the customer's concerns.” 🤷‍♂️
this is a strange (bulls**t) answer. The dealer is selling something guaranteed by VWOA they have a vested interest in it. Props for how you are dealing with this

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Update: Extremely frustrated after the phone call today. The update is basically that there is no update yet. GM is still drafting up something. Sales Manager says the right thing is to "turn off" the tune. But I have explained why that won't salvage the warranty nor will it satisfy me because it's changing the car that I already bought. Can you imagine buying a Mustang 5.0 and after you buy they say sorry we have to downgrade you to the Ecoboost engine? No way. You bought the car for the power. I made clear that removing the tune is off the table. I asked him to get back to me with a firm date when we can meet to review whatever the GM is writing up, and/or have the GM contact me directly. I'm sick of dealing with this and I'm confident the sales manager is too (he's basically just the middle man at this point). Hopefully I will have another update soon...

Still holding out for the hat.
1631650329502.png

Although, after all of this, I may not want to proudly wear the logo...

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Update: Extremely frustrated after the phone call today. The update is basically that there is no update yet. Sales Manager says the right thing is to "turn off" the tune. But I have explained why that won't salvage the warranty nor will it satisfy me because it's changing the car that I already bought. Can you imagine buying a Mustang 5.0 and after you buy they say sorry we have to downgrade you to the Ecoboost engine? No way. You bought the car for the power. I made clear that removing the tune is off the table. I asked him to get back to me with a firm date when we can meet to review whatever the GM is writing up, and/or have the GM contact me directly. I'm sick of dealing with this and I'm confident the sales manager is too (he's basically just the middle man at this point). Hopefully I will have another update soon...

Still holding out for the hat.
View attachment 225336
Although, after all of this, I may not want to proudly wear the logo...
They’re dicking around hoping they can wear you out to the point of you just dropping it or accepting whatever bullshit compromise they propose. They already have your money and have no incentive to come to a swift resolution.

Time for a lawyer to draft a letter.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They’re dicking around hoping they can wear you out to the point of you just dropping it or accepting whatever bullshit compromise they propose. They already have your money and have no incentive to come to a swift resolution.

Time for a lawyer to draft a letter.
Serious question: What would the legal resolution be?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious what you perceive as the endgame with this route.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If it were me, I'd want to give the car back and a full refund.
That's understandable. I think the dealership is open to that option, actually, if I requested it. The challenge with that approach is the car was a really good deal and they already have (and sold) my trade-in. So I would end up with no car and having to spend more to buy a similar vehicle. On principle, what you suggest makes sense. But in reality, it's a bad deal for me. And the dealership probably knows it.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
That's understandable. I think the dealership is open to that option, actually, if I requested it. The challenge with that approach is the car was a really good deal and they already have (and sold) my trade-in. So I would end up with no car and having to spend more to buy a similar vehicle. On principle, what you suggest makes sense. But in reality, it's a bad deal for me. And the dealership probably knows it.
oooofff so I'll pose the question back on you. The deed is done, the car is tuned. VW warranty and 3rd party warranty options are out the window. What do you want out of this?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
oooofff so I'll pose the question back on you. The deed is done, the car is tuned. VW warranty and 3rd party warranty options are out the window. What do you want out of this?
I want to offset at least some of the risk I paid to not take on with CPO. Since the powertrain warranty is likely bunk, there's now a risk of an expensive repair I didn't have before. My first choice is the dealership honoring the warranty. But as that becomes increasingly unlikely, perhaps an alternative route is for them to cover updates to the tune as well as some of the upcoming service intervals. The logic being having an updated tune and service "by the book" can help reduce the risk of anything going wrong. That's monetarily valuable to me, and valuable for peace of mind, while being relatively easy for the dealership (I would think). But that is still pretty far from ideal

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Breaking news! Just as I was ready to completely give up hope, I got a call that the owner will be sending me a document tomorrow stating, to my surprise, that the CPO warranty will be covered as I've requested.

What that actually means, I don't know yet. But as someone with over a decade of contract review experience, you can bet your boots I'll be reviewing it very careful for any and every hole. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of this process and we'll have an amicable resolution soon.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I want to offset at least some of the risk I paid to not take on with CPO. Since the powertrain warranty is likely bunk, there's now a risk of an expensive repair I didn't have before. My first choice is the dealership honoring the warranty. But as that becomes increasingly unlikely, perhaps an alternative route is for them to cover updates to the tune as well as some of the upcoming service intervals. The logic being having an updated tune and service "by the book" can help reduce the risk of anything going wrong. That's monetarily valuable to me, and valuable for peace of mind, while being relatively easy for the dealership (I would think).
If you're legitimately worried about the tune causing a catastrophic engine issue, just know that any subsequent updates from APR are probably aimed more on drivability rather than correcting some parameter that affects reliability. I noticed that you're running the HT file so you could move to the LT file which would obviously be easier on the car over a long period of time, but that's a small ask from a dealer who has been completely dishonest with you.

If it's not going to be a warranty backed by VW, what's left? The possibility of some sort of written agreement between you and the dealer that basically says because the vehicle was sold under a false pretense, for a period of time/ mileage we will cover any issues? Idk that seems pretty flimsy to me and that's why I'd ask a lawyer what your options are.

What if the GM of the dealer is caught snorting cocaine off of the ass cheek of his mistress in the service bay and loses the business? What if you're offered a job in a new city on the other side of the country, but you have this agreement with this dealer? All things to consider.