GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE, Unitronic, or COBB tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
EQT has more power, better throttle response. Going COBB also allows room for bigger turbo setups and custom tuning. With Unitronic you get stuck with their platform. Many of us on the forum are out of pocket $1K+ by going Uni.
Wow that makes sense. And the only thing I'm hesitant on with Cobb is that (this is just my stupidity) the Cobb purchasing flow is a bit confusing for me. Especially figuring out all of these different tune options and figuring out how to buy everything properly the first time

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Find yourself a used accessport with DSG unlocked to save some money.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Find yourself a used accessport with DSG unlocked to save some money.
I've been hesitant to do that with the stories of buying it and it being locked or not as advertised and being out hundreds of dollars. Any recommendations on how to find a quality used one that fits that criteria?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've been hesitant to do that with the stories of buying it and it being locked or not as advertised and being out hundreds of dollars. Any recommendations on how to find a quality used one that fits that criteria?
Keep an eye out in the classifieds here. Avoid purchasing from new members. Ask for pictures if none are available. I bought many items from here and other FB groups without issue. Even bought a used AP before.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Keep an eye out in the classifieds here. Avoid purchasing from new members. Ask for pictures if none are available. I bought many items from here and other FB groups without issue. Even bought a used AP before.
Oo will do. Thank you. AP?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oo will do. Thank you. AP?
Ask to see a picture of the AP in the screen that shows it is unmarried from the car it was installed on. And most importantly only purchase through PayPal business transactions. That way you can dispute the charge with PayPal if the AP isn't as advertised. PayPal always stands behind the buyer in business transactions. Absolutely do not use PayPal for friends or family.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Ask to see a picture of the AP in the screen that shows it is unmarried from the car it was installed on. And most importantly only purchase through PayPal business transactions. That way you can dispute the charge with PayPal if the AP isn't as advertised. PayPal always stands behind the buyer in business transactions. Absolutely do not use PayPal for friends or family.
Perfect. Will do. Now should I find one with the tcu included? Or is that useless if I'm going with eqt's tcu tune fir the DSG? Or is the tcu tune ability a feature that needs to be included.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Perfect. Will do. Now should I find one with the tcu included? Or is that useless if I'm going with eqt's tcu tune fir the DSG? Or is the tcu tune ability a feature that needs to be included.
You need to purchase one that has the TCU added on. Either through EQT or Cobb or a private party.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Not arguing here but why would these companies tune for 340ish and advertise as such if it is "screaming within an inch of its life" and also advertise it on 93 octane and not ethanol? What didn't you like about Unitronic and Cobb? Yeah I am thinking the common recommendation is ic first
Perhaps that’s an over exaggeration, but you’d be asking that is20 to give everything it has.

An is20 won’t do 340 on pump gas despite what any individual dyno says.

Unitronic is slow and the DSG tune is pretty awful… I noticed no change in shift points. Cobb tunes knock like hell and don’t feel great in normal driving situations.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Perhaps that’s an over exaggeration, but you’d be asking that is20 to give everything it has.

An is20 won’t do 340 on pump gas despite what any individual dyno says.

Unitronic is slow and the DSG tune is pretty awful… I noticed no change in shift points. Cobb tunes knock like hell and don’t feel great in normal driving situations.

I've heard people say this a lot but I have to say personally I did some logging with the COBB OTS early on because I was curious how certain parameters looked compared to other OTS tunes.

Very little to no knock and felt very similar to a very reputable OTS tune.

Have people tried getting the latest revisions? Cobb does actually update their base tune files.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've heard people say this a lot but I have to say personally I did some logging with the COBB OTS early on because I was curious how certain parameters looked compared to other OTS tunes.

Very little to no knock and felt very similar to a very reputable OTS tune.

Have people tried getting the latest revisions? Cobb does actually update their base tune files.
Different strokes I guess. I tried a Cobb tune for a few days and was not impressed... Near -4 knock on all cylinders during a pull and it felt jerky around town. Not sure what revision is was.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Cobb OTS is underwhelming...