GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE, Unitronic, or COBB tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Hey guys, first post here. I am new to the auto tuning and modding scene and this is my first car I get to work on and I am super excited to learn and jump in. I went through the forums and wasn't able to find a good direct comparison / recommendation when it comes to figuring out which stage 2 tune to go with. Originally I wanted to get the APR stage 2 tune for 93 but since it's no longer available I've had to look elsewhere.

I have a dsg Mk7 with a CTS Turbo downpipe (with the cat), CTS Turbo inlet elbow, IE V2/3 Intake without the carbon cover, and I have an ECS dog one mount and insert. I am also waiting to pick up the CTS Turbo cat back and I'm also STILL waiting for my $1400 stimulus check (which will be for an intercooler).

I am hoping to hit the 340hp range and the 340ft-lbs of torque range with my is20 along with the (quite immature, yet cool in my book) "pops and bangs". I'm trying to figure out if anyone has experience with these 3 tunes and any advice with them. I will be pairing it with the high torque dsc tunes from those 3 companies as well. I live in an area where COBB protuning is hard to come by so I would have to use ots tunes.

Last edited:

max_power

Go Kart Newbie
Intercooler before you do anything else.

I went IE originally against my better judgement and am now switching to Cobb w/ SneekyTuned.

There wasn't anything that I hated about IE, but like always I ended up wanting more.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Intercooler before you do anything else.

I went IE originally against my better judgement and am now switching to Cobb w/ SneekyTuned.

There wasn't anything that I hated about IE, but like always I ended up wanting more.
I haven't heard of SneekyTuned, would you be able to give me more info on them? Or direct me to a thread that explains their tunes?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You’re going to need an ethanol tune to get 340 out of an is20 and it’ll be screaming within an inch of its life. I have experience with the Unitronic and Cobb tunes and I wouldn’t recommend either.

IC before anything else.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
You’re going to need an ethanol tune to get 340 out of an is20 and it’ll be screaming within an inch of its life. I have experience with the Unitronic and Cobb tunes and I wouldn’t recommend either.

IC before anything else.
Not arguing here but why would these companies tune for 340ish and advertise as such if it is "screaming within an inch of its life" and also advertise it on 93 octane and not ethanol? What didn't you like about Unitronic and Cobb? Yeah I am thinking the common recommendation is ic first

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yeah APR stage 2 on 93 claimed 340 on the is20
Not whp.

Get a COBB and look at EQT or Sneekytuned as your OTS options - those have been the best options for various forum members. I used to be with Unitronic and switched to EQT.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Get yourself a Cobb Accessport and an OTS EQT or Sneekytune map. So much more flexibility going with the Accessport.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Not whp.

Get a COBB and look at EQT or Sneekytuned as your OTS options - those have been the best options for various forum members. I used to be with Unitronic and switched to EQT.
Ooo okay. What didn't you like about Unitronic? And to be honest my end goal power wise is to beat my old boss on the 1/4 mile. He has a stock 2015 audi s5

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Get yourself a Cobb Accessport and an OTS EQT or Sneekytune map. So much more flexibility going with the Accessport.
That's what I'm hearing. My only hesitation is tcu tuning. Plus (this is just my stupidity) the Cobb purchasing flow is a bit confusing for me. Especially figuring out all of these different tune options and figuring out how to buy everything properly the first time

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Ooo okay. What didn't you like about Unitronic? And to be honest my end goal power wise is to beat my old boss on the 1/4 mile. He has a stock 2015 audi s5
EQT has more power, better throttle response. Going COBB also allows room for bigger turbo setups and custom tuning. With Unitronic you get stuck with their platform. Many of us on the forum are out of pocket $1K+ by going Uni.