GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So did anyone clone the vwr oil adapter plate?

i found this on AliExpress:
US $498.00 | BATTLE BEE Oil Cooler Kit for VAG Volkswagen Audi Golf S3 A3 GTI TSI R MK7 1.8T 2.0T GEN3 EA888 ENGINE
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOibOYf

Is this the same adapter?

Im see 265-270 at the track. Want to try to keep things below 260.

thanks.

Core still looks too small. They probably just copied VWR's kit.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Did a sandwich adapter ever get fabbed? I want to buy just that piece and put the kit together.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Bump, trying to put together a lot. Looking for the sandwich adapter

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've yet to see a standalone sandwich adapter for the Mk7.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m only aware of two styles.
VWR and iABED

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’m only aware of two styles.
VWR and iABED

But I don't think you can buy the adapter as a separate piece, can you?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nope. They are the only only two oil cooler options. VWR only sells the complete kit. IABED sells his adapter separately.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
The iabed kit also gets rid of the heat exchanger, no? This would not be useful for a DD setup.

you can find this online as a clone kit on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-VW-Gol...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
I keep seeing people say this, but how long does oil take to heat up when just cycling through the motor? I have driven cars with a similar setup on the street and always just let them warm up before getting into it and never had issues.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I keep seeing people say this, but how long does oil take to heat up when just cycling through the motor? I have driven cars with a similar setup on the street and always just let them warm up before getting into it and never had issues.
IIRC from highschool chem water has a really high specific heat meaning it holds on to heat energy, where as oil is about half that so it should absorb heat more quickly, ie using water to preheat oil seems like it wouldn't work as well as just having the engine components warm the oil.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Oil also goes through the turbo, but, yes it should take longer.

If someone is installing this for a DD, that's not really a good idea. It's not really bad either, just will take longer before you can hoon.

IIRC from highschool chem water has a really high specific heat meaning it holds on to heat energy, where as oil is about half that so it should absorb heat more quickly, ie using water to preheat oil seems like it wouldn't work as well as just having the engine components warm the oil.
The heat exchanger is not perfect or the best solution to help the heating of the oil to get the car to operating temps quicker. Though oil temps lag significantly to coolant anyway. Also this is probably why when both the oil and coolant start to heat up, they also heat each other up and the cooling system goes into meltdown. That's why removing the heat exchanger is better for track guys.

But I think we all know this stuff.

What's the issue?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
One of the reasons why I’m adding an Auxiliary Radiator to increase the cooling headroom when I install my oil cooler.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Oil also goes through the turbo, but, yes it should take longer.

If someone is installing this for a DD, that's not really a good idea. It's not really bad either, just will take longer before you can hoon.

The heat exchanger is not perfect or the best solution to help the heating of the oil to get the car to operating temps quicker. Though oil temps lag significantly to coolant anyway. Also this is probably why when both the oil and coolant start to heat up, they also heat each other up and the cooling system goes into meltdown. That's why removing the heat exchanger is better for track guys.

But I think we all know this stuff.

What's the issue?
Not an issue, just trying to understand specifically, with evidence or details, why removing the heat exchanger is a bad idea for a DD. Because from my rudimentary understanding the oil is actually heating the coolest not the other way around. So how much longer does it actually take the oil to reach temp with the HE removed and a 180 or 190 mocal thermostat?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’ve run an oil cooler on my Cooper S without the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger and without a thermostat. No issues on track. I let the car idle for 10-15 minutes before going out on track. In winter I put a piece of cardboard in front of the cooler as the oil doesn’t get hot enough at highway speeds. I plan on installing a thermostat.
You want your oil to get to 185-190 to burn off any moisture and condensation in the oil pan. Removing the HE is not bad as long as you let the car warm up before driving and as long as you run an oil thermostat.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve run an oil cooler on my Cooper S without the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger and without a thermostat. No issues on track. I let the car idle for 10-15 minutes before going out on track. In winter I put a piece of cardboard in front of the cooler as the oil doesn’t get hot enough at highway speeds. I plan on installing a thermostat.
You want your oil to get to 185-190 to burn off any moisture and condensation in the oil pan. Removing the HE is not bad as long as you let the car warm up before driving and as long as you run an oil thermostat
That makes more sense, people saying "You shouldn't remove the HE on a street car" don't seem to provide a specific reason why. Everyone should be letting their engine oil get up to temp regardless of street or track anyway, at least before getting on it.