GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bellevue area shop recs

defect

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG GFG
Hey folks. I'm thinking about dipping my toes into modding for the first time, on my mk7.5. I live eastside, so I'm looking for shop/tech recommendations in sort of the Bellevue-ish area (or even around Issaquah/Sammamish); ideally one that has friendly folks for my newb self.

I only know of Achtuning. Any others? Thanks in advance.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Then I'd very much appreciate pointers :)
There's lots of tuners with Cobb and all the companies that tune using Cobb and APR. Those are the most popular. Scroll through threads and learn more and then come back with specific questions.

defect

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG GFG
There's lots of tuners with Cobb and all the companies that tune using Cobb and APR. Those are the most popular. Scroll through threads and learn more and then come back with specific questions.
Based on the research I have done, I have a decent idea of what mods I want to start with (ECU/TCU, intake, springs, so on). In any case I need to find reputable shops to start forming working relationships with.

Can you help me understand why I wouldn't want to use Achtuning? Can you recommend other shops Eastside?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Based on the research I have done, I have a decent idea of what mods I want to start with (ECU/TCU, intake, springs, so on). In any case I need to find reputable shops to start forming working relationships with.

Can you help me understand why I wouldn't want to use Achtuning? Can you recommend other shops Eastside?
I don't know anything about Achtuning but there's a reason Cobb and APR are the 2 most used tuners. Tell us about Achtuning.

If you get Cobb you don't need to go to a shop to tune. You do it yourself from anywhere.

defect

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG GFG
I don't know anything about Achtuning but there's a reason Cobb and APR are the 2 most used tuners. Tell us about Achtuning.

If you get Cobb you don't need to go to a shop to tune. You do it yourself from anywhere.
Oh, maybe that's the confusion. Achtuning is the shop, they're an APR (among other things) dealer. Got a call back from them this morning actually, seems APR is having server problems, but they don't support downpipes anymore anyway so I may end up going Unitronic instead for future stage 2 support.

Achtuning I think is one of the big players in the area, but I'm sure there are other good tuner shops people have experience with.

I have considered Cobb, but ultimately I'll be working with a shop for the rest of the mods, so I might as well start getting to know some techs :)

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Achtuning is really, very good. Top tier staff and super helpful. I know you're limiting the radius to Eastside, but Stone's German Garage on the Westside is so excellent. Awesome shop, great guys that shoot it straight. A bit more affordable than Achtuning, too.
Stone's German Garage - Home (stonesgermangarage.com)

I would also recommend searching up Avants -- it's a car club in the area. They charge a $99 yearly fee, but the perks and discounts more than make up for it. The events they put on are amazing!
Avants - Drive Everything

Edit: Saw that you're mainly concerned with a shop that installs mods. Not sure if Stone's does that; they're more of a traditional mechanic shop.
If you wanna save a bit of money on mods installs, definitely check out Stew's Self-Serve Garage in Kirkland. Hourly lift rentals with access to every tool you'll need. The guys that run the place are more than happy to answer any questions at all while you're getting your hands dirty. Avants members get 15% off, too ;)

defect

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG GFG
Achtuning is really, very good. Top tier staff and super helpful. I know you're limiting the radius to Eastside, but Stone's German Garage on the Westside is so excellent. Awesome shop, great guys that shoot it straight. A bit more affordable than Achtuning, too.
Stone's German Garage - Home (stonesgermangarage.com)

I would also recommend searching up Avants -- it's a car club in the area. They charge a $99 yearly fee, but the perks and discounts more than make up for it. The events they put on are amazing!
Avants - Drive Everything

Edit: Saw that you're mainly concerned with a shop that installs mods. Not sure if Stone's does that; they're more of a traditional mechanic shop.
If you wanna save a bit of money on mods installs, definitely check out Stew's Self-Serve Garage in Kirkland. Hourly lift rentals with access to every tool you'll need. The guys that run the place are more than happy to answer any questions at all while you're getting your hands dirty. Avants members get 15% off, too ;)
Thanks! I'll keep Stone's in mind.

I joined Avants just this past week, someone at work recommended it too. The discount has already paid the membership back.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I joined Avants just this past week, someone at work recommended it too. The discount has already paid the membership back.

Nice!! You going to RADwood tomorrow? Avants members get 25% off the entry fee.