GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Put Ruth’s in. Old plugs spaced out to .26. FMIC installed. What a difference staying cool makes. I do notice the xtra weight over the front.
Ethanol gauge tells me I’m at 29.8

60D4EE56-514D-4202-91F2-D0A322DE932D.jpeg
4F53A88C-90D5-4C74-9206-094CC4052C55.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is there any other way

It's been pretty down hill since moving to STH for me. I was fast in both my 18 and 19 in GS. My co-driver can drive a two wheeled tricycle and finish top 5 pax. I'm only fast if the car is decent. That's what separates a professional driver from a wanna be, I guess.

In GS I was running in our regions PRO pax class that is for nationally competitive drivers to duke it out, now I'm struggling in just the regular STH class and nowhere near being able to be competitive in the Pro class.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It's been pretty down hill since moving to STH for me. I was fast in both my 18 and 19 in GS. My co-driver can drive a two wheeled tricycle and finish top 5 pax. I'm only fast if the car is decent. That's what separates a professional driver from a wanna be, I guess.

In GS I was running in our regions PRO pax class that is for nationally competitive drivers to duke it out, now I'm struggling in just the regular STH class and nowhere near being able to be competitive in the Pro class.

Yeah. Here it sucks because there's only 1 other STH car (Golf R) and hes quite a bit faster and I kept making excuses that it's his awd, but in nationals, it was the GTI's that dominated, so I'm being humbled that it might be ME.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah. Here it sucks because there's only 1 other STH car (Golf R) and hes quite a bit faster and I kept making excuses that it's his awd, but in nationals, it was the GTI's that dominated, so I'm being humbled that it might be ME.

I've learned over the years that truly fast drivers can drive almost anything fast, even if it's under prepped, under developed, or just plain crap.

Also, a Miata can make almost anyone with the slightest talent look fast at an autocross. Lol.

FWD cars are probably the hardest platforms to master in autocross. Especially when the power starts increasing.

A buddy of mine has been developing his SMF car for years and is just starting to see some success. He's of similar regular human talent, not the alien type that can hop in anything and be fast. Lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
At least it's not crankwalk.

Did the tire rub through fuel filler
my understanding is the pump is flooding the evap system and causing gas to leak out the charcoal cannister. the video clip is right after i shut off the car and the rest of the fuel was still draining out.

there was a recall on 15/16's but not my 17. it's out of factory warranty and apparently i don't get an emission warranty because i don't live in a PZEV state. dealer will most likely want to replace the entire tank and quoted me over $2k just in parts when i called in last week to schedule service. other people have gotten VW to help cover 80-90% so i contacted VWOA and am waiting for a call back from them, as well as the call back from the dealer for the official diagnosis

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
my understanding is the pump is flooding the evap system and causing gas to leak out the charcoal cannister. the video clip is right after i shut off the car and the rest of the fuel was still draining out.

there was a recall on 15/16's but not my 17. it's out of factory warranty and apparently i don't get an emission warranty because i don't live in a PZEV state. dealer will most likely want to replace the entire tank and quoted me over $2k just in parts when i called in last week to schedule service. other people have gotten VW to help cover 80-90% so i contacted VWOA and am waiting for a call back from them, as well as the call back from the dealer for the official diagnosis
Good luck to you.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
i read one person was able to get it covered by their insurance under comprehensive, so hopefully worse case scenario GEICO comes in clutch

if this ends up costing me more than $500 im going to raise hell, especially considering it's been an issue that's been recalled on earlier years

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

That sucks, I hope it gets covered or mostly covered.