GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blind Spot Monitoring Retrofit Help

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
So, I ended up doing one the hard way (see photo above with the blue pry tool wedged, and one the (slightly) less-hard way.

Best way I can figure:
Peel back the connector end of the rubber accordion sleeve so you have a bit more room and poke a long, #1 Phillips head screwdriver through that sleeve; you'll hit a membrane at the door interface - you gotta go through that. So, pop it through, leaving a large enough hole that you can get a wire-pulling claw through there.
BSM.install.15.jpg

I had the BSM wires coming up through the hole that the mirror's main wiring harness uses...
...and had trouble getting the claw to pop up through that hole, so I ran the claw / wire puller all the way out to the mega-opening at the non-hinge end of the door and grabbed a bicycle brake cable. That, I was able to get up through the mirror wiring hole, to then pull up the claw.

BSM.install.17.jpg

BSM.install.19.jpg

So, with the claw up through that hole picture above, I taped together the two BSM mirror wires and, grabbed them with the claw, and pulled them out through that hole the claw went in on.

The wiring diagrams call for the wires to be in positions 1 and 2 in the wiring harness, but that was a tight fit with the other wires in there, so I put them in #16 and #17 (just have to be sure you use the same positions for the male wiring terminals that are on the car-body side connector).
BSM.install.18.jpg

As is often the case, the female terminals in the harness from Aliexpress are not the proper shape for my NAR wiring connectors; usually, I'd do a terminal swap, but in this case, I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled out the connector holes a little, ground down the terminal with a dremel, and got them to "click" into place - not going to get pushed out by the male terminal.

Slid the connector back into that "hood"/housing, sprayed some plasti-dip "liquid electrical tape" down the length of that rubber accordion sleeve to seal up the hole (not sure that's needed, but why not), and put everything back together. Can't tell it came apart! :D
(Wish I could say the same for the other side where I did my learning, but oh well...)

Last edited:

Gust

Car(s)
2015 Golf GTI perf
Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing powerfolding mirrors, and at the same time adding blind spot assist. I have everything done, except for the canbus wires and one green/black wire.
For the canbus connection I am waiting for a can extend cable, which is somewhere between China and Belgium.
For the last single wire, black/green, I was told it has to be connected at fuse sc32, but I'm stuck. How does one gain enough access to the back of the fuse panel, to add a wire there? Already removed lower dash, airbag, I can see the wires but no way I can manage to get my hand back there and still see what I'm doing, to add this wire. There is already a wire connected to this fuse, how do I attach this second one?

I don't want to give in after all the trouble it took me to get this far, but I'm about to, don't really see it anymore atm..

Greets,
Gust

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing powerfolding mirrors, and at the same time adding blind spot assist. I have everything done, except for the canbus wires and one green/black wire.
For the canbus connection I am waiting for a can extend cable, which is somewhere between China and Belgium.
For the last single wire, black/green, I was told it has to be connected at fuse sc32, but I'm stuck. How does one gain enough access to the back of the fuse panel, to add a wire there? Already removed lower dash, airbag, I can see the wires but no way I can manage to get my hand back there and still see what I'm doing, to add this wire. There is already a wire connected to this fuse, how do I attach this second one?

I don't want to give in after all the trouble it took me to get this far, but I'm about to, don't really see it anymore atm..

Greets,
Gust
Not quite. I said from the factory it goes to SC32. Doesn't mean you have to use it.

You can just use a fuse tap.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Hello all,

Greets,
Gust
I use a zip tie. Push it through the empty slot where you want the wire to go. It isn't easy to get the wire in, take some contorting and cursing but with enough patience it'll work

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
And if it's a shared fuse (quite a few are) you can trace it back and tie in however you choose... solder/heat shrink, crimp splice, or even posi-tap (not personally a fan of these but they work for people).

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
To @Cuzoe's point, I did just that - cut into the black/green wire coming out of the black connector at the TIUL location, and spliced in the black/green wire from BSM harness.