GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Out of curiosity, is the turbo in my MK-7.5 always providing some level of boost, or does it take a rest when I'm rolling easy at speed with a light throttle on level ground? Thanks.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Out of curiosity, is the turbo in my MK-7.5 always providing some level of boost, or does it take a rest when I'm rolling easy at speed with a light throttle on level ground? Thanks.
The turbo is literally always spinning, even at a stop. Kinda like the engine itself. The wastegate releases unwanted boost in situations like light/partial throttle.

Pinche.adam

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm also paranoid about the turbo since it's a 2015 and I know the early versions were known to go bad. But after 53k miles, I think I'm probably safe. Have a CPO warranty anyways. I'll start researching FMIC options since those seem to be the easiest to install.
Surprised they cpo'd a 6-7 year old car with 50,000miles

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Stupid question: how do you know if youre getting misfires without logging or checking codes

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Why is my car squeaking when I turn the steering wheel? No it's not cause the tires are rubbing the fender liner cause I'm bagged. It's happening at all heights.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
My GTI got towed today, a short distance about 1/4 a mile away. It’s a DSG and I was backed in to the space with the parking brake on. The only way to get me out of the space was to pull me forward and I’m unsure if the tow driver drove the 1/4 mile to the lot with me hooked to the front or back.

What possible damage do I need to look for?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
My GTI got towed today, a short distance about 1/4 a mile away. It’s a DSG and I was backed in to the space with the parking brake on. The only way to get me out of the space was to pull me forward and I’m unsure if the tow driver drove the 1/4 mile to the lot with me hooked to the front or back.

What possible damage do I need to look for?

Probably used something like this setup.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Why is my car squeaking when I turn the steering wheel? No it's not cause the tires are rubbing the fender liner cause I'm bagged. It's happening at all heights.

Where is the noise coming from? If it's from the front of the car and sounds a bit like a mouse cheeping, it might be the harmonic balancer seal.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Where is the noise coming from? If it's from the front of the car and sounds a bit like a mouse cheeping, it might be the harmonic balancer seal.
Depends. Sometime it sounds like it's in the dash, other times the wheel wells on both sides.

RossMk7

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI SPORT
Yo I’m not sure if I’m in the right thread to ask this but… I’m about to tune my 2017 GTI soon but I just wanna make sure and clear my head on what I need to upgrade before hand and shit. I know I need obv spark plugs, coil packs, I need a turbo inlet etc.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yo I’m not sure if I’m in the right thread to ask this but… I’m about to tune my 2017 GTI soon but I just wanna make sure and clear my head on what I need to upgrade before hand and shit. I know I need obv spark plugs, coil packs, I need a turbo inlet etc.
Intercooler.

Tires.